Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
1969to2010
The Man in Black

Drives: 1969 Camaro 2010 Camaro 1SS
Be careful when choosing a shop

Please do your homework and go some place that has proven experience with installs and especially tuning.

This is an example of a shop that didnt have proper experience working on LS cars. I told them the stock air box was required they said no no its fine and this was the result

Thery reused my cold air inductions filter which didnt clear the wheel well. When we troubleshooting my rim issue me Kendell and Dom found this :

So we took the wheel well off adn found this:

Being a parts rat helped me here as I still had a CAI air filter ( thnx Sean Bennet ) laying around. It cleared the wheel well but I used some zip ties for good measure to make sure they is no rubbing.

So its actually a blessing we had the rim/tire issue unless we would never have found the issue and it may have worn through possible sending pieces of the air filter into places it shouldnt be. It could have blew my motor. So the aggravation over the rims had some good things come of it.

So please ask questions and make sure communication is good. All the shop I went to had to do is communicate with me and half of the problems we had would have would not have happened. So if you get a bad vibe shop around. We all work hard for our money get what you pay for.

my turbo build took 7 weeks for a bolt in turbonetics kit
Old 06-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Turbo99

Drives: 08' F250 Diesel & 10' Camaro 2SS
care to share the shop name?
Turbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
1969to2010
The Man in Black

its up here in ny not looking to kill them even though they suck if I see someone going there ill send a pm they arent real players in the camaro world and I think after my car they might not have Camaros again
Old 06-17-2012, 02:20 AM   #4
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy48 View Post
I know what you're going through. I had a Cam install at a shop in California and turns out they messed it up. Drilled the crank way to far and messed up the install and tune so much that I now need a new motor...awesome.
wow this really does suck. worse case is always needing a new engine. makes me feel greatfull to have a good local shop.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #5
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969to2010 View Post
Please do your homework and go some place that has proven experience with installs and especially tuning.

my turbo build took 7 weeks for a bolt in turbonetics kit
Great Advise! With F/I make sure they've done it a few times before so you're not a guinea pig for their R&D......even free is too much risk. The parts are too expensive on the car and most shops don't have the pockets to cover the damage.....been there.

Nice ziptie BTW on the intake tube.

You should name the vendor.....to prevent other consumers from getting ripped off........because now he's most likley using pictures of your install as a proof of previous work.

One guy posted a pic of a mushroom air element that came off horizontally...which I think is good improvement in the TN design. With that lowered element, in heavy rain you could drive through a puddle and hydrolock.

I hope everything got sorted and your car is boosted for fun now.
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
I'll post my previous vendor. Cunningham Motorsports in Temecula California. I heard great things about them and trusted them, but apparently they can't get something simple like drilling the crank right...
That will be the first (non-opinion) bad thing I've heard about them since reading this forum. There are a few people here that don't like them personally, but I've never heard of bad WORK that they've done... When did this happen?
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
chiel

Drives: 1959 p/u and s/c ls3 th400
The wiring in the 1st picture looks like a mess too. Just my 0.02 cents.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
I'll post my previous vendor. Cunningham Motorsports in Temecula California. I heard great things about them and trusted them, but apparently they can't get something simple like drilling the crank right...

Is thjs CMS here in Socal?
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
1969to2010
The Man in Black

Quote:
I know what you're going through. I had a Cam install at a shop in California and turns out they messed it up. Drilled the crank way to far and messed up the install and tune so much that I now need a new motor...awesome.
sorry to hear
Old 06-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
1969to2010
The Man in Black

we are very large camaro club and everyone here knows the deal with the shop

and trust me they arent using pics of my car
Old 06-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
If you're around NY area why in the world would you not of gone to Jannetty....

(honestly curious).
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
1969to2010
The Man in Black

Because teds 2.5 hours
And the place came recommended from a buddy

The point of the post is to be more careful I wasn't lesson learned

Car is going to Ted next week sometime
For a full dyno tune
Old 06-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
Ryne @ CMS

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 06 C6 Z06, 15 Sierra
Quote:
first of all i would like to say i am sorry to hear you had issues. We are still a vendor... and this is the first we are hearing of this.... never got a email or phone call regarding this issue.... i do recall your car came in with the supercharger already installed and the crank drilled, so can you please post the exactly what "we" did wrong, as we were not the only people that were in your car, in addition could you please explain in detail how the pinned crank caused the motor to fail?.... as far the tune goes, as goes i spend hours and hours on that thing, i even worked off of the tune that jannety had in there already (i think he is respected around here) but as many already know the tuner is always to blame....

Last edited by Ryne @ CMS; 06-19-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Ryne @ CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #14
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
wow this really does suck. worse case is always needing a new engine. makes me feel greatfull to have a good local shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
That will be the first (non-opinion) bad thing I've heard about them since reading this forum. There are a few people here that don't like them personally, but I've never heard of bad WORK that they've done... When did this happen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Is thjs CMS here in Socal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969to2010 View Post
sorry to hear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS View Post
first of all i would like to say i am sorry to hear you had issues. We are still a vendor... and this is the first we are hearing of this.... never got a email or phone call regarding this issue.... i do recall your car came in with the supercharger already installed and the crank drilled, so can you please post the exactly what "we" did wrong, as we were not the only people that were in your car, in addition could you please explain in detail how the pinned crank caused the motor to fail?.... as far the tune goes, as goes i spend hours and hours on that thing, i even worked off of the tune that jannety had in there already (i think he is respected around here) but as many already know the tuner is always to blame....
As discussed privately with CMS, a friend of mine that I gave access to my account, when I was on deployment with the Navy, took it upon himself to post stuff about CMS without my permission. Not all the facts are in yet and I can safely say it won't happen again...Password changed...friend talked to. Sorry for the confusion.
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote