Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Credit questions...

Ok, so ran my free credit report (for those that don't know, you get 1 free credit report from www.annualcreditreport.com, required by federal law) and noticed that Capital One has been as pulling a credit report on me EVERY MONTH since october! As this tends to reflect your credit rating, does anyone have any idea how I get them to STOP doing that? I don't have a card with them, but I do notice that I get those stupid "pre-approved" credit cards in the mail from them every now and then...

Also noticed AT&T has been pulling credit reports on me as well, though those are every other month... and again, I don't owe them any money, don't use them for cell service, nothin... urg!
Old 08-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Lock down your credit. https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t
This may help. This will also stop credit card offers in the mail.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I did that and it reduced my mail by 2X I swear! I already have 4 credit cards, I only use 1 and that gets paid off every month. Why a credit card company would want to give me ANOTHER card is beyond me. I still get insurance junk mail from state farm regulary. That will show me to get an insurance quote from them... Other insurance ads are much less frequent. I don't get ANY credit card ads except for those "balance transfer" checks from the cards I already have. It's great to reduce your junk mail. Now if only my wife would stop telling every clothes manufacturer our address... We get a minimum of 2 victorias secret ads a week and one day I got 3!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Awesome, thanks guys, totally doing that!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
SandPredator
Proud Passenger

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Credit Inquiry: Soft pull vs. hard pull

A soft credit inquiry or pull does not hurt your credit score, but a hard credit pull does.

Googled:

On a credit report, when a third party looks at your credit score, this is called an inquiry. All inquiries, however, are not created equal. Some hurt your credit score, and some do not. An inquiry known as a soft inquiry does not affect your credit report, but a hard pull does.
Soft inquiry
A soft inquiry, or soft pull, is a term used to refer to an inquiry into your credit history that does not adversely affect the credit score. Often, you are not even aware that there has been a soft inquiry on your credit report. For example, if you receive a solicitation in the mail offering you a credit card, the credit card company has most likely conducted a soft pull to see if you qualify. When mortgage lenders pre-approve you for a loan, they initially use a soft pull. Potential employers use it as a part of background checks, and your current credit card companies use soft inquiries to check up on you. Banks use them to verify that you are who you say you are when opening an account. If you check your own credit report, which you can do for free once a year, this is done with a soft pull. Most of the time, you do not even know when they occur, and they do not affect your credit report.
Hard pull
A hard pull on a credit report is different. It does affect your credit score. Anytime that you are actually getting a loan or a new credit card, the lender conducts a hard pull on your credit report. This stays on the record. It also lowers your credit score by about five points for six months. For this reason, it is important to guard your credit report from too many hard pulls. If you get a store credit card just to save 10 percent on a single purchase, you have hurt your credit score. That is probably not worth the 10 percent savings. Some banks even use a hard pull if you are opening a savings account, so be sure to check your potential bank’s policy. Additionally, the incentives that credit card companies offer for signing up may not be worth the hit to your credit score.
A good rule of thumb for your credit report is to try to avoid any inquiries that are considered hard pulls. By limiting them your credit will be in good shape and you can qualify for the best interest rate available to you when it comes time for you to apply for a loan that you truly need.
SandPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandPredator View Post
Credit Inquiry: Soft pull vs. hard pull

A soft credit inquiry or pull does not hurt your credit score, but a hard credit pull does.

Googled:

On a credit report, when a third party looks at your credit score, this is called an inquiry. All inquiries, however, are not created equal. Some hurt your credit score, and some do not. An inquiry known as a soft inquiry does not affect your credit report, but a hard pull does.
Soft inquiry
A soft inquiry, or soft pull, is a term used to refer to an inquiry into your credit history that does not adversely affect the credit score. Often, you are not even aware that there has been a soft inquiry on your credit report. For example, if you receive a solicitation in the mail offering you a credit card, the credit card company has most likely conducted a soft pull to see if you qualify. When mortgage lenders pre-approve you for a loan, they initially use a soft pull. Potential employers use it as a part of background checks, and your current credit card companies use soft inquiries to check up on you. Banks use them to verify that you are who you say you are when opening an account. If you check your own credit report, which you can do for free once a year, this is done with a soft pull. Most of the time, you do not even know when they occur, and they do not affect your credit report.
Hard pull
A hard pull on a credit report is different. It does affect your credit score. Anytime that you are actually getting a loan or a new credit card, the lender conducts a hard pull on your credit report. This stays on the record. It also lowers your credit score by about five points for six months. For this reason, it is important to guard your credit report from too many hard pulls. If you get a store credit card just to save 10 percent on a single purchase, you have hurt your credit score. That is probably not worth the 10 percent savings. Some banks even use a hard pull if you are opening a savings account, so be sure to check your potential bank’s policy. Additionally, the incentives that credit card companies offer for signing up may not be worth the hit to your credit score.
A good rule of thumb for your credit report is to try to avoid any inquiries that are considered hard pulls. By limiting them your credit will be in good shape and you can qualify for the best interest rate available to you when it comes time for you to apply for a loan that you truly need.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote