Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-20-2021, 01:20 PM   #15
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I did my entire car. Paint correction, ppf, tint as well as tinted windshield then ceramic coat including calipers and wheels. It was about 8500 Canadian. I don’t regret it one bit. I wish I had it applied on my Trailblazer SS. Like Pauly said it’s great stuff and self healing. My car is black, I have noticed swirls after driving somewhere then giving it a quick spray detail. After some time in the sun the swirls are gone. But.....it is expensive.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:40 PM   #16
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded_Seamonkey View Post
What is your opinion on:
a) how well this stuff actually protects (too good to be true?)
b) is it a waste to have the entire car wrapped
c) any reason not get it installed
a. The top-shelf self-healing variety - the one you want - offers complete protection from swirls, light scratches, bird-drop etching, bug etching, etc. Adds depth to the gloss. The film brands with higher clarity (less haze) and better gloss (less orangepeel) like Suntek Ultra will significantly add to the perceived depth of the clearcoat. It will not stop a >1cm rock from chipping through the film and paint at highway speeds (i.e. if it can crack your windshield, it will get through the film). But for cosmetics and never having to worry about accidental swirls from routine care (or careless onlookers), a good PPF cannot be beat.

b. No. If I was going to do it again, I'd do the entire car. The square rump end on our cars picks up a LOT of sand and grit.

c. Money. But if you can afford the tires, wheels, fluids, brakes, insurance, fuel, hauler/trailer, etc. to track the car, then you can afford PPF.

Find the BEST installer in your area. The one that does McLarens and Lambos. Ask if they've done a gen6 camaro before. They will usually answer with a few choice 4 letter words. Pay them well to do the following:

1. Complete paint correction.
2. Custom cut w/ oversize patterns. Tuck and wrap all edges.
3. Remove emblems and heat extractor prior to film application, then replace (the good ones make patterns so emblems are perfectly realigned).
4. Top with a couple coats of DURABLE hydrophobic coating like Gtechniq EXO. I have this on my car and it has lasted 3+ years.
5. DO NOT CERAMIC COAT THE FILM. Complete waste of money.
6. DO ceramic coat the wheels, grille, and anywhere that film is NOT applied. Then the durable hydrophobic on top of that.

Couple pics here and more details of what I have on my car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...php?p=10338212

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:00 PM   #17
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
If you track often and plan to keep the car long term, I can see going balls out on full coverage. Call me cheap, but I would have a hard time spending about 10% of the price of the car for full. I spent about $2100 for the important areas, part of hood, nose, mirrors, lower valance and lower doors, upper hips of quarter and lower rear quarters. I would still put rock guards on that bad boy ya got coming.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:06 PM   #18
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Yes I would say rock guards are a must too.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:12 PM   #19
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Quote:
Hello everyone. I have an order for a 2022 ZL1 1LE. I'm currently getting estimates for PPF. I have show cars and I love detailing my cars and making sure they look nice. Now that I have read that XPEL and other brands make a clear wrap that essentially protects from swirls, chips etc. I almost can't believe it.

My first quote was $7500 for the entire car...or...$3500 if I do full hood, front fenders, side mirrors, front bumper, headlamps, roof/a-pillar and rocker panels.

It is a lot of money but I plan to track the car once or twice a year and this completely seems like a worthy investment.

What is your opinion on:
a) how well this stuff actually protects (too good to be true?)
b) is it a waste to have the entire car wrapped
c) any reason not get it installed

Thanks everyone
I had it done on the entire car, after paint correction, 3 years ago. The car still looks perfect. If you are going to keep the car, it's worth it.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:00 PM   #20
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
I think it's good. I have XPEL on my front clip and in front of the rear wheels. I do have a couple rock chips though right through the XPEL even on the front clip. It is not a guarantee.
jamala00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:26 PM   #21
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak-Toy View Post
Also, the hood is already wrapped from the factory so there is nothing to do there. Nothing has impacted the front or sides of my car (yet!..fingers crossed) and it doesn’t seem too likely...If I was to do it again, I would also get the windshield done with the PPF specifically designed for the windshield. These ZLE’s appear to have very soft glass and get pitted very easily from small rocks kicked off the highway. Just my 2 cents worth.
+1 for windshield protection. It is $800+ to install new OEM glass with HUD and PDR. I average around 7 days on track per year and have had two different windshield cracks this year probably both from the track. If you don't protect the windshield fill any chips near the edges even very small ones ASAP before using the defroster as they are more likely to crack. Mine were both too small to notice until after the crack appeared since I didn't specifically check for them. I have tons of pitting too.

I got a few paint chips on the leading edge above the windshield...definitely cover that area with ppf. Also I have paint showing through the hood wrap in several small spots so protect it with matte ppf or be ready to re-wrap frequently if you want it to look perfect. My front bumper has probably over 100 little rock chips from track use. And tons of them just in front of the rear wheels too although they are not very noticeable in any of those locations unless you are within a few feet. Unfortunately track use is incompatible with a perfect looking car. See if you can get a warranty on the install so they will replace segments cheap or free if a rock gets through the ppf. I would have done the key areas on mine (which cost me less than half of what you paid for yours) if it was brand new but the previous owner already drove it without rock guards (get the ones from ZL1addons) or ppf for over a year so it wasn't worth it in my case.

If you plan to keep the car for a long time full ppf may be worth it but if you sell or trade in I doubt you will recoup anywhere near what you paid to have it done.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 04-20-2021 at 09:44 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:55 PM   #22
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
I had it done on the entire car, after paint correction, 3 years ago. The car still looks perfect. If you are going to keep the car, it's worth it.
Same here, had it done two weeks after I bought the car Jan of 18.
Now I'll admit my car never sees rain, garage kept, so it gets dusty at the most. I use a waterless wash and take care of it like it isn't there spray wax, detail spray, etc. There isn't a swirl mark or scratch on the ppf, it actual adds a gloss to it like it has ceramic coating.
As said above, If you're keeping the car long term as I am well worth it n my opinion.
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:57 PM   #23
Sorange

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. This car is an exotic for me! I wouldn't consider this for any other car, but this is my mid lift crisis dream car. I plan to drive this car as much as possible. I don't need anymore "show" cars that just sit in the garage.

The idea of using the car and protecting it sounds great. One of my concerns is that if I only get impact areas done, then if I wash it a lot, and swirls begin to develop on the non-ppf areas, that will drive me nuts as well...but more than double the price for the entire car is hard to handle too. I know the swirls aren't as bad as the chips but if I decide at this point, maybe I take part of my down payment, and put it towards ppf rather than just the car loan.
all this sounds like the perfect reason to PPF the entire car. I did mine and I would do the same again! the fact that I don't have to worry about swirls and I can just take a microfiber and wipe dust and bugs off with no trace is awesome! not to mention continuously doing paint correction takes clear coat away every time and these camaros are knows to have extremely thin clear coat and base coat! it doesn't take much to chip it.

Last edited by Sorange; 04-21-2021 at 11:12 PM.
Sorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:03 AM   #24
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Cost is going to be hugely dependent on product and location. The XPEL product appears to be fairly expensive to buy compared to other products, so that's going to be a factor.

In some locations where there are not a lot of installers or it's done less (New England and close by seems to be a low-density area for XPEL installers, for example), the prices will likely be higher as well.

If the installers are buying sheet material versus pre-cut pieces, the price could be lower (the pre-cut pieces are more expensive to buy from the factory).

In the end, you need to find A) the product you want at B) a price you're happy with and installed by C) someone that will do a quality job and stand behind the work.

I will absolutely say that the front ends of these cars can be rock chip magnets if you drive in the right conditions.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:41 AM   #25
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I think it's a must on these cars...at least certain parts. I had a shop that sells, details, and maintains exotics do Xpel film on my car. They only charged 1k and that included front end, headlights, mirrors, rocker panel area, and around the rear wheels. I believe it was 2500.00 for the entire car. 10 year warranty. In 3 years I have 2 knicks on the film on the front and several around the rear tires but it has saved the paint.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:11 AM   #26
Bearded_Seamonkey

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
I will continue to look for other estimates. Based on what everyone is saying, seems like this estimate was super high. It is great to hear that the majority of people who have had it installed, really like it.
2000 Corvette
Bearded_Seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:34 PM   #27
ddivinia

Drives: 19 ZR1 20 350R Wife -> 24 ZL1 Vert
I had my entire 2019 ZR1 done end to end and I would not do it again...

Paint correction and ceramic yes but not the film.

D.
ddivinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:41 PM   #28
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddivinia View Post
I had my entire 2019 ZR1 done end to end and I would not do it again...

Paint correction and ceramic yes but not the film.

D.
Why not?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote