Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 12-28-2019, 07:09 AM   #1
pumalex

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro
intercooler, ZZP vs Mishimoto

My tuner says Mishimoto is better but looking at the pictures i feel ZZP has a better design (and hald price). Anyone has experience or seen both?

Also, there are some cheap kit on ebay which seems ot be knock off of Mishimoto but they are half the price. Anyone tried one of these?

edit, just found some threads about this, this is for a serious race car so i really need the best. Seems like ZZP might be a good solution for my needs.

Last edited by pumalex; 12-28-2019 at 07:24 AM.
pumalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:46 PM   #2
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
This topic will spark plenty of debate. So i'll start with what I've seen, heard and noticed. I'm not endorsing or flaming either option both have their places aswell as pro's and cons.

Mishimoto made a direct-fit replacement with massive improvements over the OEM Intercooler in design and cooling effectiveness. Having seen both the Mishimoto and OEM in person I can say GM dropped the ball on a potentially huge advantage overall had they invested in something not so flimsy and shitty as the final OEM intercooler. But cost cutting was clearly well at work there. The proof is in the results the Mishimoto is an amazing Intercooler and it does it's job but I feel it would fall behind on long track days simply because of the poor location sandwiched between the radiator and condenser.

Your tuner is both wrong and right in saying the mishimoto is better and I don't know your tuner and If I do I apologize ahead of time. The Mishimoto is better in his opinion because it requires less work to tune for the increased cool airflow effectiveness over the ZZP FMIC this doesn't make it better just easier to work with overall.

As far as the ZZP FMIC goes it's a great intercooler and does a great job at what it's suppose to do the issue is figuring out how to properly tune it on this platform. It will take anyone who's not tuned these cars some time and effort to figure out the best method given how the ECU reads and pre-calculates boost. The ZZP being a FMIC I think has the advantage in longer hot track days over the Mishimoto because of placement.

Pro's:

Both do their job far better then the OEM intercooler.

Mishimoto is easier to install and tune.

ZZP argueably better on long hot track days because of placement.

Con's:

Mishimoto is way overpriced that cheaper version I haven't gotten to see side by side the mishimoto but Jason@JacFab has it and I've not heard anything negative and it still looks miles ahead of the cheap OEM intercooler.

ZZP is a PITA to tune until you figure it out then it's slap hand to forehead.

All in all it's a buyers choice the lifetime warranty on the Mishimoto cannot be beat although I've had great experiences with ZZP's willingness to warranty their offerings without issue.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:25 PM   #3
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
Has anyone found out for sure if the ZZP intercooler is compatible with the HD cooling package? That might be something to consider.
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:40 AM   #4
BlueShadow

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Mishimoto is easier to install and tune.

ZZP is a PITA to tune until you figure it out then it's slap hand to forehead.

Why is there a difference? Does the ZZP have more pressure drop or something? due to its different location (mishi is stock location iirc) and/or maybe because of difference in piping diameter?

Last edited by BlueShadow; 01-04-2020 at 06:36 AM.
BlueShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:49 AM   #5
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShadow View Post
Why is there a difference? Does the ZZP have more pressure drop or something? due to its different location (mishi is stock location iirc) and/or maybe because of difference in piping diameter?
Longer distance causes the ECU. To misread boost and think it's there when it's not which can cause your Throttle Blade to close prematurely or unnecessarily is what i was told and that falls in line with what my tuner is trying to explain in annoying engineer terms.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 01-04-2020, 12:08 PM   #6
BlueShadow

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Longer distance causes the ECU. To misread boost and think it's there when it's not which can cause your Throttle Blade to close prematurely or unnecessarily is what i was told and that falls in line with what my tuner is trying to explain in annoying engineer terms.

Ahh i see ty for the explanation, I'm used to old school/MAP turbo setups so havent heard of that one yet.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #7
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShadow View Post
Ahh i see ty for the explanation, I'm used to old school/MAP turbo setups so havent heard of that one yet.
Much of the traditional turbo4 tuning methods are thrown out the window with our ECUs.

Old 01-04-2020, 01:53 PM   #8
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Yes, this car is an unconventional nightmare.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote