Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 06-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Rear toe in/out problem

I have a stock 2017 1SS and the passenger rear tire keeps wearing on the inside faster than the drivers side. Is this a known problem? Can I have the toe out or in adjusted so it will wear in the middle of the tread? I have Firestone lifetime alignment and they do not like straying from the factory specification on alignments.
Is this because of the way the Independent Rear Suspension is set up or do I have bigger problems somewhere else? Any input would be appreciated.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #2
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Rear toe and camber bolts are technically 1 time use. If they have been adjusted multiple times they may not be holding the alignment from shifting anymore. I would buy a new set of bolts and have them dial the rear back in. You want the toe as close to 0 as possible to avoid accelerated wear.

BTW the front is completely reusable hardware, so it can be adjusted as often as you like.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #3
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Rear toe and camber bolts are technically 1 time use. If they have been adjusted multiple times they may not be holding the alignment from shifting anymore. I would buy a new set of bolts and have them dial the rear back in. You want the toe as close to 0 as possible to avoid accelerated wear.

BTW the front is completely reusable hardware, so it can be adjusted as often as you like.
Any way to confirm the information about the toe and camber bolts only having a one time use? Thanks for the information and I will watch them do the alignment on my car this time to see what they set it at. Have to get a new set of rear tires because the passenger rear is wearing prematurely. Thank you again.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #4
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
Any way to confirm the information about the toe and camber bolts only having a one time use? Thanks for the information and I will watch them do the alignment on my car this time to see what they set it at. Have to get a new set of rear tires because the passenger rear is wearing prematurely. Thank you again.
Service manual calls it out. You can probably get away with one alignment without replacing, but I'd replace them with OE parts if you do a 2nd alignment on it.

They should also give you a print-out of the alignment measurements before and after they adjust it. You might also be able to pull out the camaro track prep guide and convince them to do the track alignment (close to 0 toe) if you get a tech/manager that's willing to cooperate. Track prep guide can be found here.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:59 PM   #5
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
Any way to confirm the information about the toe and camber bolts only having a one time use?
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521026
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote