Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 11-13-2019, 12:03 AM   #1
SEVENZEROTWO

Drives: 2K17 Camaro RS
Trifecta Tune and warranty on 2017 camaro?

I contacted the guys at Trifecta about their tunes because I need some more speed in my life. The response I got was super helpful, but I have a concern in the back of my head and it's the warranty. I just got $2k in warranty work done because the last dealer forgot to put the oil plug in the transmission all the way.

Can the dealer or GM detect the tune? How good has the tune been on the v6? Will this affect reliability?

Also what kind of "options" does the tune come with?

That black friday sale is looking mighty attractive.
SEVENZEROTWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:23 AM   #2
Joker75

Drives: 18 LS/1LE V6
I can't speak to the options that the tune comes with, but most will be able to optimize fuel and timing to increase horsepower and torque, but how much, depends on the engine and how conservatively they tune it.

The dealership will be able to see the last time the ECU was flashed, which means that they will know that you have altered the factory settings. Whether your specific dealership will give you grief over that, is hot or miss. Some don't seem to care, as long as it doesn't come back on them. Others will use that as an excuse to deny any warranty issue that they could remotely tie to the altered ECU.

If you are concerned about your warranty, it's probably best to hold off on tuning, until after your warranty is expired.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Joker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:14 AM   #3
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
your ecu has a flash counter, even if you rip your tune out, change nothing, and flash back, the counter will increment. there is no getting around this. the dealer will be able to tell because they have on record how many flashes your car should have. no tuner or software can get past this, at all. It's up to the dealer whether they want to fight you on warranty stuff. Unless they are super mod friendly, they most likely will.

if you do decide to go trifecta, they lock their tunes down so you nor anyone else can change it, but them. That may not matter to you, but it's something to keep in mind if you go that route.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Drives: Supercharged 2016 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
if you do decide to go trifecta, they lock their tunes down so you nor anyone else can change it, but them. That may not matter to you, but it's something to keep in mind if you go that route.
And where does this information come from? Because I’ve heard someone claim that before so I asked Trifecta about it and they said that’s 100% false
dgriff14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #5
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVENZEROTWO View Post
I contacted the guys at Trifecta about their tunes because I need some more speed in my life. The response I got was super helpful, but I have a concern in the back of my head and it's the warranty. I just got $2k in warranty work done because the last dealer forgot to put the oil plug in the transmission all the way.

Can the dealer or GM detect the tune? How good has the tune been on the v6? Will this affect reliability?

Also what kind of "options" does the tune come with?

That black friday sale is looking mighty attractive.
I bought the Advantage+ tune on Black Friday two years ago. It has been great thus far, and I haven’t had any issues. My natural shift points (Auto) are raised, feels more responsive, and Select-a-AFM is great as well.

However, I’m going forced induction and it turns out that they don’t offer tuning services for that even if you upgrade to the elite package. Kind of a bummer, but it was a great price point for two years the way I see it.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgriff14 View Post
And where does this information come from? Because I’ve heard someone claim that before so I asked Trifecta about it and they said that’s 100% false
Several people I know personally have told me this and I've read it on the forums in a few places. It is possible they've changed their stance on this.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #7
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
your ecu has a flash counter, even if you rip your tune out, change nothing, and flash back, the counter will increment. there is no getting around this. the dealer will be able to tell because they have on record how many flashes your car should have. no tuner or software can get past this, at all. It's up to the dealer whether they want to fight you on warranty stuff. Unless they are super mod friendly, they most likely will.

Trifecta does not lock their tunes. You can flash back to stock with their software anytime you want to on your own.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Trifecta does not lock their tunes. You can flash back to stock with their software anytime you want to on your own.
I don't mean they lock it and lock your ecu, I mean they lock their tune to where only they can change or modify it. Of course you can always go back to stock.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #9
SEVENZEROTWO

Drives: 2K17 Camaro RS
Quote:
I don't mean they lock it and lock your ecu, I mean they lock their tune to where only they can change or modify it. Of course you can always go back to stock.
I read online that they dont trigger flash counters and such, but cant find a straight answer anywhere. Just folks who dont have the tune talking.
SEVENZEROTWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:54 PM   #10
crosive

Quote:
I read online that they dont trigger flash counters and such, but cant find a straight answer anywhere. Just folks who dont have the tune talking.
Flashing anything to your ecu, even your own redundant stock tune, will increment the flash counter
Old 11-14-2019, 02:01 AM   #11
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Quote:
Ahh, my apologies. I see what you meant now
Old 11-14-2019, 03:32 AM   #12
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Fake news. Don't believe everything you read online.

Quote:
Flashing anything to your ecu, even your own redundant stock tune, will increment the flash counter
+1 you can believe this!

If you're going to drop several hundred $ or a thousand $ tuning a V6 for more power/performance and risk thousands more in potential warranty issues, why not bank/invest the money and upgrade to a v8 with a warranty later?
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:10 AM   #13
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
warranties are for people without confidence in their car
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #14
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
warranties are for people without confidence in their car

that's why I always have a warranty on my car. It's not that I don't trust my car, I don't trust the guy that had to have 4 red bulls and a 5 hour to get over his hangover from the night before, before he put a hand on my car.