Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Site Related Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-04-2024, 07:59 AM   #29
NoDakZ/28

Drives: 2014 Z/28 CTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Here's an idea. Why not put a "freeze" on creating new accounts?

Look at the "New Member Introductions".....Pretty slim. At least after a post is made in that forum first, a waiting period of a few days to review the account could weed out the spammers before they pollute the rest of the web-site. It seems too easy to create an account. Not that many members are actually logged on at any one time. Most are "guests".

A new account needs some sort of gate-keeping feature instead of being so easily mis used...

My $.02

This poor forum currently has no less than 12 spam threads, all by different "new members." https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=224
I agree, its just going to continue to get worse. Either they need a heavily encrypted way to sign up or just hold off, but I'm guessing they don't want to shut the site off to potential real members. We are in a tough spot for sure.
2014 Z/28 #99008 CTF SIM
NoDakZ/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 11:27 AM   #30
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:

Look at the "New Member Introductions".....Pretty slim. At least after a post is made in that forum first, a waiting period of a few days to review the account could weed out the spammers before they pollute the rest of the web-site. It seems too easy to create an account. Not that many members are actually logged on at any one time. Most are "guests".

A new account needs some sort of gate-keeping feature instead of being so easily mis used...

My $.02

This poor forum currently has no less than 12 spam threads, all by different "new members." https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=224
That sounds like it would be an awesome idea!! I personally just reported about 4 or 5 of those stupid threads started that are not in English!! Just a bit rediculous and outta hand..
Old 03-04-2024, 05:26 PM   #31
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
+1. Good idea. I share everyone's frustration but one thing you shouldn't do is repost links to the spam postings. I do think this thread is a good location to air our grievances and make fun of some of the weird crap those bots post.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:36 AM   #32

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
It's dis-heartening to see all these spam threads that still sit at the top of numerous forums and have been there for days and days.

They have gone unreported? They shouldn't need to be reported. Is it too much to ask for a moderator glance at the web-site for about a minute and immediately recognize spam threads? They shouldn't have to be reported if they are that obvious. Each one takes a full minute to report by a member. For a moderator to look at the whole web-site and see these takes about ten seconds to recognize all of them, yet that must be a bridge too far.

Again, I think this whole spam thread issue is hopeless, especially when no moderator even takes the time to glance at the web-site.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 09:34 AM   #33
NoDakZ/28

Quote:
It's dis-heartening to see all these spam threads that still sit at the top of numerous forums and have been there for days and days.

They have gone unreported? They shouldn't need to be reported. Is it too much to ask for a moderator glance at the web-site for about a minute and immediately recognize spam threads? They shouldn't have to be reported if they are that obvious. Each one takes a full minute to report by a member. For a moderator to look at the whole web-site and see these takes about ten seconds to recognize all of them, yet that must be a bridge too far.

Again, I think this whole spam thread issue is hopeless, especially when no moderator even takes the time to glance at the web-site.
I'm not to certain what that answers are here, it is 100% disheartening to see whats going on. I do believe the mods are doing all they can, but when you put it that way maybe there needs to be more action. I spend too much time reporting than its worth, but I don't want to give up yet.
2014 Z/28 #99008 CTF SIM
Old 03-06-2024, 07:44 PM   #34
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Yeah pretty pathetic to put it politely.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 12:40 PM   #35
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:

The spam has gotten so far out of hand on another forum I'm on that the admin changed new account creation to requiring mod approval before you are allowed to post.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 01:32 PM   #36
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I’m a moderator on 67-72chevytrucks.com and that’s exactly how that admin has it set up. They have to be manually vetted before they are givin permission to post. It’s a lot of work but helps keep the spam BS way way down.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 07:35 PM   #37
jfkheat
jfkheat

Drives: 2023 Rapid Blue ZL1
Here we go again.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/searc...chid=153834125
jfkheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 08:14 PM   #38

Pretty quiet lately....

Just tried starting a new thread with a boring topic of advertising in between posts....lol

Got a message that "thread can't be posted until reviewed by a moderator"...

Probably a good idea and perhaps the reason the spam has been quiet lately...
Old 04-16-2024, 12:36 AM   #39
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:

First off, there are a number of us that look at the boards multiple times weekly… A “glance” won’t find all of the spam/bots… They are, in many cases, AI generated… and hit this and many other sites 24/7. I’m not a bot, I need sleep, and I spend time away from here pursuing other interests as well… my family first and foremost…

I feel your pain, and I apologize… I was a member like you before being selected to be a mod… and I have never once regretted taking the position… However, I read at a really rapid rate, and I can’t see all of the posts on all of the various sub-forums in ten minutes, much less ten seconds… I can’t view threads any faster than you do.

I will say though that once a Spammer/Bot member is reported, I can look at that “members” postings very quickly. I can look at it in their user page, “Posts or Threads started…” then I can batch select everything they have up and kill it all with a few clicks of the mouse, or taps of the iPad screen…

Neither I nor any moderator I know on any forum goes and looks at every sub-forum, or thread title looking for spammers. It would be horribly time consuming and frankly boring as hell. We are after all, on this board, volunteers and we have myriad interests. I could not care less about shiny new car show stuff, and some guys only care about that. You have specific interests that you peruse regularly as well I would guess. If you don’t report that which you see, you will see it again and again until we stumble across it or someone else reports it…

It can take from 30 seconds (with a bot with one post) to several minutes each to get a report, (via email), wait for report to load, go and review it, determine if it’s spam or just a link inserted by someone not really knowing what they’re doing… or go into their history and see what else they have posted, or threads they have started… Decide on a course of action… (Not all funny looking links are spam per se…) then if I just logged on, as I make selections about what to do, I have to re-enter my user password to verify who I am, again… and then write out a note or word about why they are banned… then click to ban them… At this point, I tend to look and ensure they are banned and the postings are gone, at least to you folks.. We still see many of them… we see them as deleted but they are still background visual “noise.” All of this equates to a lot of pages loading and time spent reading… stuff I don’t care a whit about, but I will deal with it for the sake of the forum…

All of us, save one or two Admins/Mods, are Camaro owners or enthusiasts first… With 200,000 members spread across three boards, it would be a full time job for many people just running through all of the forums, sub-forums, threads and posts looking for spam, spammers and or bots. I know it’s frustrating… but if members don’t help with reporting, how can we possibly keep up, against computer generated bots… It’s old software, and it’s limited… however what would be lost if we had to completely upgrade… Don’t hunt them, just report them if you happen to see them while browsing your areas of interest, and if an additional thread or post you see is by the same member, (thread titles often look identical and are easy to recognize) there is no need to report that member again… we will find them in their user profile of postings. Well most of the time we do… I make mistakes too…

I don’t like the advertisements any more than the next guy, and it makes running spam bots off even more time consuming… but it’s the way of the world today…

So please, I ask, if you see them in your browsing, take a moment to report them, click on the triangle to report, type spam, and leave the rest to us… that won’t take a “full minute,” unless the internet is really slow. Nothing else is needed…There is no need to chase their postings and report each one you find by the same “member.” We can do that part quickly-ish… and it saves us digging through dozens of emails to see if it’s just the same reported spammer multiple times.

I hope this helps… The reports help us all, members and moderators, and we really do appreciate them…

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:55 AM   #40
NoDakZ/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
First off, there are a number of us that look at the boards multiple times weekly… A “glance” won’t find all of the spam/bots… They are, in many cases, AI generated… and hit this and many other sites 24/7. I’m not a bot, I need sleep, and I spend time away from here pursuing other interests as well… my family first and foremost…

I feel your pain, and I apologize… I was a member like you before being selected to be a mod… and I have never once regretted taking the position… However, I read at a really rapid rate, and I can’t see all of the posts on all of the various sub-forums in ten minutes, much less ten seconds… I can’t view threads any faster than you do.

I will say though that once a Spammer/Bot member is reported, I can look at that “members” postings very quickly. I can look at it in their user page, “Posts or Threads started…” then I can batch select everything they have up and kill it all with a few clicks of the mouse, or taps of the iPad screen…

Neither I nor any moderator I know on any forum goes and looks at every sub-forum, or thread title looking for spammers. It would be horribly time consuming and frankly boring as hell. We are after all, on this board, volunteers and we have myriad interests. I could not care less about shiny new car show stuff, and some guys only care about that. You have specific interests that you peruse regularly as well I would guess. If you don’t report that which you see, you will see it again and again until we stumble across it or someone else reports it…

It can take from 30 seconds (with a bot with one post) to several minutes each to get a report, (via email), wait for report to load, go and review it, determine if it’s spam or just a link inserted by someone not really knowing what they’re doing… or go into their history and see what else they have posted, or threads they have started… Decide on a course of action… (Not all funny looking links are spam per se…) then if I just logged on, as I make selections about what to do, I have to re-enter my user password to verify who I am, again… and then write out a note or word about why they are banned… then click to ban them… At this point, I tend to look and ensure they are banned and the postings are gone, at least to you folks.. We still see many of them… we see them as deleted but they are still background visual “noise.” All of this equates to a lot of pages loading and time spent reading… stuff I don’t care a whit about, but I will deal with it for the sake of the forum…

All of us, save one or two Admins/Mods, are Camaro owners or enthusiasts first… With 200,000 members spread across three boards, it would be a full time job for many people just running through all of the forums, sub-forums, threads and posts looking for spam, spammers and or bots. I know it’s frustrating… but if members don’t help with reporting, how can we possibly keep up, against computer generated bots… It’s old software, and it’s limited… however what would be lost if we had to completely upgrade… Don’t hunt them, just report them if you happen to see them while browsing your areas of interest, and if an additional thread or post you see is by the same member, (thread titles often look identical and are easy to recognize) there is no need to report that member again… we will find them in their user profile of postings. Well most of the time we do… I make mistakes too…

I don’t like the advertisements any more than the next guy, and it makes running spam bots off even more time consuming… but it’s the way of the world today…

So please, I ask, if you see them in your browsing, take a moment to report them, click on the triangle to report, type spam, and leave the rest to us… that won’t take a “full minute,” unless the internet is really slow. Nothing else is needed…There is no need to chase their postings and report each one you find by the same “member.” We can do that part quickly-ish… and it saves us digging through dozens of emails to see if it’s just the same reported spammer multiple times.

I hope this helps… The reports help us all, members and moderators, and we really do appreciate them…
We appreciate all you guys do, seems like the last few weeks has been excellent on here with minimal spam. So again, we thank you guys!
2014 Z/28 #99008 CTF SIM
Old 04-16-2024, 05:28 PM   #41
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDakZ/28 View Post
We appreciate all you guys do, seems like the last few weeks has been excellent on here with minimal spam. So again, we thank you guys!
I’ll second that!
Old 04-23-2024, 08:07 AM   #42

I took a look a few days ago at the bottom of the screen where it lists current users...take a look at all the ridiculous user names...mostly spammers for pharmaceuticals...lol. There is always a bunch of obvious spammers, but when you click on their name, it denies access to see their profile or whatever. Hard to report them until they post something.
There are a bunch of them.

I get a kick out of the part where the forum welcomes new members...lol...usually its a spammer of some kind....lol..

Here's a few samples...lol...Hopefully the mods can nip them in the bud somehow

Threads: 547,354, Posts: 10,518,474, Members: 189,928
Welcome to our newest member, tadalafil 5 mg coupon

Currently Active Users: 10481 (73 members and 10408 guests)
View Who's Online
Most users ever online was 19,671, 01-11-2024 at 01:19 PM.
90503, 18.2SS.1LE, 1911 1LE, 2023_ZL1-AUTO, 22SS1LE, 2NASSTY, Alexmus, alocker, Arbe_GTC, Arnoldvzt, arpad_m, AustinMt, beilync, best generic tadalafil, Bird71, BKH1994, BunnyBoy, david_acm, EdithScomy, Expepal, Gennie, Gleemon, gtstorey, hesster, Hostile_1LE, how can i get valtrex, hrpiii, I don't want a mustang, Idaho2018GTPremium, Ivanigv, Ivanldv, Ivanmji, jiml22, juittee, KingLT1, kotzenmoyer, KYVOM1LE, LateBrakeU2, Lil 217, Malbjey, Megahurtz, MikeCrpntr, mp_0610, NAZR1, Nimair.ZL1, NoDakZ/28, Noricrorm, online pharmacy no prescr, Owl3, Phenix, Psylocubik, RideWithDanger, rls61, RonaldGync, SDF62, Seo-Ul-tus, SlowLS1, SpeZ, SSDan, SSShark, StevenMa, SummitWhite11, ThomasRon, TigVeinge, TPPDSS, TrealdCrict, truckrglenn, Turkish01, Tutsteerb, viedync, wellos, where to buy tadalafil in, Zone one

Most users ever online was 19,671, 01-11-2024 at 01:19 PM.
90503, 18.2SS.1LE, 1911 1LE, 2010sgm, 2023_ZL1-AUTO, 22SS1LE, alex076, Alexmus, Angel17, Arogg, AustexaSS, AustinMt, beilync, beowulf556, best price tadalafil 20 m, Bigredwing, Bird71, BlackWidowNY, BlancoPopular, buy cheap tadalafil uk, Caerus, CalgaryZL1, Camaro Fanatic, CamaroDreams76, carguy55, cawengr, cdrptrks, ChibiBlackSheep, christophe, Cjw, clg82, cmitchell17, Coz3z3, craulston, ctrlz, DaveC113, DeweyRopsy, DirtyDirt, DJ_WS, dmcmahan60, EdithPounk, Expepal, George-CZ, glosperge, Jc9767, Jhunsberger, JimU, Joey Soul, juittee, Killakamr6, KingLT1, LateBrakeU2, manderson0306, Megahurtz, mrc54, MrRaptor63, NAZR1, NickyRacerBoy, nighttowl, NoDakZ/28, Nothing like an SS, offshore pharmacy no pres, Osbornsm, pepkoakrapovik, Printz, rbuzz00, Repman, rls61, rock803, RonaldGync, RotoRocker, S.Macias, S1lent, Sales@Phastek, ScottyT01, Seo-Ul-Bot, shaffe, SIC LSX, Skurpio, SlowLS1, SOCAL.M6.ZLE, SomeGeoffGuy, sroby, SSShark, StevenMa, tadalafil - generic, Tarster, The_bald_eagle_machine, ThomasRon, Tomtom87, TPPDSS, triggerjerk, Tutsteerb, valtrex no perscrition, valtrex pills price, viedync, Zapote21, ZL14ever, ZPirate
CAMARO6 Statistics
CAMARO6 Statistics
Threads: 547,356, Posts: 10,518,490, Members: 189,932
Welcome to our newest member, tadalafil - generic

Last edited by 90503; 04-23-2024 at 09:02 AM.