Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
c0rsa180

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM
Dealer Stupidity

I've been looking around at local dealers to see if they have any car in Inferno Orange Metallic. I love the color in pictures but I want to see it in person before I make the final decision. But anyway that is not where the funny story is...

I start to speak with one of the salesman and told him I'm interested in talking about the new Camaro coming out...yada yada yada...we then start talking price and such. I say, so what type of deals are you offering here, the salesman turns around and says there are no deals on these cars and they are selling at 5k over sticker (still not the funny part). I was expecting this so then I mention that I would be able to get it at $500 over invoice at another dealer and wondered if they could touch that price. As soon as I say this the guy gets all flustered and is like who? what? where? are you serious? (still not the funny part) so he goes off and talks to his manager. He comes back and tells me since we have such a small allotment we cant offer deals like that. So i ask whats their allotment, and he says 16. I'm like I've heard of dealers only getting one or two, 16 sounds pretty decent, then hes at a loss for words...

(funny/stupidity part) He goes let me give u an example of why we are selling cars over sticker...Then he says "you know that new zr2 (yes he said Z R two) corvette coming out...the sticker is 102,000 and we are selling those at 35,000 over that" I wanted so badly to just laugh in his face and correct him on the spot, but I want him to look like an a$$ whenever he talks to other customers and such...I proceded to ask him why he was not even selling at MSRP only 5K over, and he says because we can! At that point I laughed and said you wonder why GM is having all these problems...and walked out the door...

Ok thats all for my rambling just thought I'd share my experience with those of you who care...Just reinforces the fact that some (not all) salesman have no idea what they speak of...
c0rsa180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
c0rsa180

Oops, posted in the wrong section...please move to general forum...sorry
Old 02-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Jarvis59
owner/operator VIN 1760

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rsa180 View Post
I've been looking around at local dealers to see if they have any car in Inferno Orange Metallic. I love the color in pictures but I want to see it in person before I make the final decision. But anyway that is not where the funny story is...

I start to speak with one of the salesman and told him I'm interested in talking about the new Camaro coming out...yada yada yada...we then start talking price and such. I say, so what type of deals are you offering here, the salesman turns around and says there are no deals on these cars and they are selling at 5k over sticker (still not the funny part). I was expecting this so then I mention that I would be able to get it at $500 over invoice at another dealer and wondered if they could touch that price. As soon as I say this the guy gets all flustered and is like who? what? where? are you serious? (still not the funny part) so he goes off and talks to his manager. He comes back and tells me since we have such a small allotment we cant offer deals like that. So i ask whats their allotment, and he says 16. I'm like I've heard of dealers only getting one or two, 16 sounds pretty decent, then hes at a loss for words...

(funny/stupidity part) He goes let me give u an example of why we are selling cars over sticker...Then he says "you know that new zr2 (yes he said Z R two) corvette coming out...the sticker is 102,000 and we are selling those at 35,000 over that" I wanted so badly to just laugh in his face and correct him on the spot, but I want him to look like an a$$ whenever he talks to other customers and such...I proceded to ask him why he was not even selling at MSRP only 5K over, and he says because we can! At that point I laughed and said you wonder why GM is having all these problems...and walked out the door...

Ok thats all for my rambling just thought I'd share my experience with those of you who care...Just reinforces the fact that some (not all) salesman have no idea what they speak of...
North Shore or South Shore Dealer?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
Unfortunately there are many car salesman like this out there. That's how the whole greasy haired scum of the earth reputation sprouted. When I see a car salesman bee-lining to me on the lot I am immediately irritated.

Just a tip for salesmen out there....make yourself available for assitance...don't overwhelm your customer with aggressive sales tactics and don't for god's sake stand with all the other salesman in a large wolf pack drooling over us like meat watching from a far. You can almost hear the betting going on up there when they do that. Most of all just don't assume we are all idiots...some of us (hello..hi...me) probably know more about the car you are selling than you.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #5
Rallyman6

Drives: '10 2SS/RS IOM, Wht Stripes, Roof
I doubt they had so many ZR2's to get that much over sticker.

They could get so much more over sticker - even Kerbeck Corvette doesn't have a ZR2! They could get like 100k over sticker for a ZR2.

2SS/RS IOM, Wht Stripes, 6MT, IO Interior, Roof, Eibach Sways, BC Coilovers, BMR Swing arms,Barton Short Shift, BBK LT's, GMPP exhaust, Hi-Flow Cats, MAST Stage 2 Cam, CAI = 470RWHP
Rallyman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Hmmm .. LOL ..

http://www.supercars.net/cars/4347.html

1989 Chevrolet Corvette ZR2 Big Doggie

At their 2009 Scottsdale, Arizona sale, Barrett-Jackson auctioned some GM Hertitage Collection cars, most under scrap titles. Among them was this ZL2 mule that was tested for possible production.

The auction description was as follows:"An experimental vehicle used to determine how to convert from a small block to a big block. Its 454 big block V8 along with its orange paint make this high horsepower engineering study a one-of-a-kind standout in Corvette history. Sold on a Bill of Sale.

This vehicle is autographed by it's Corvette development engineer/driver John Heinricy. Experimental vehicle used to determine how to convert from a small block to a big block. Its 454 Big Block V8 along with its orange paint treatment makes this high horsepower engineering study a one-of-a-kind standout in Corvette history."
Old 02-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
c0rsa180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis59 View Post
North Shore or South Shore Dealer?
Actually I'm up in Albany at the moment, just finishing up my Masters
Old 02-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
I work out in Long Island. I would love to know which dealer this was.

I'll take a wild guess and say RAMP Chevy. I had a similar experience.

EDIT: ^ Oh...

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
c0rsa180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
I work out in Long Island. I would love to know which dealer this was.

I'll take a wild guess and say RAMP Chevy. I had a similar experience.

EDIT: ^ Oh...
I've had this same expereince as Bast or Bass...whichever the name was on Long Island when we were looking at a 50th anniversary corvette for my fathers...ended up getting it from Kerbeck in Jersey...

If you dont mind me asking, did you order yours on Long Island?
Old 02-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Had the same type of experience with a dealer about A YEAR AND A HALF AGO. I go in to ask if he had any new info on the 5th Gen Camaro. This "Lee Steinberg" wanna be tells me it's a hot mover and they can't keep them on the lot. Then when I said I didn't think they were out yet (humoring him) he proceeds to take me in and sit me in his office and go talk to the sales manager.

He had to feel loke an idiot. Of course proceeded to try and sell me a Malibu.

BTW, Mark Dodge here in Mobile AL was asking 10k over sticker 8 months ago. (edit; for the Challenger.) Now? Not so much. Feel bad for the guys that did it.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
Croathlete
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rsa180 View Post
I've had this same expereince as Bast or Bass...whichever the name was on Long Island when we were looking at a 50th anniversary corvette for my fathers...ended up getting it from Kerbeck in Jersey...

If you dont mind me asking, did you order yours on Long Island?
Nope. Had to go all the way out to Lancaster, PA to find someone who would accept Supplier pricing. Well worth the trip.

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."
Old 02-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
PonyMan

Drives: 2009 C6 4lt Vert, 2011 Camaro Vert
I am holding out for the ZR4 myself.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
Croathlete
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyMan View Post
I am holding out for the ZR4 myself.
I heard that one's going to have the gas cap on top.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
Bawt
Future Camaro Owner!

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
Just a tip for salesmen out there....make yourself available for assitance...don't overwhelm your customer with aggressive sales tactics and don't for god's sake stand with all the other salesman in a large wolf pack drooling over us like meat watching from a far. You can almost hear the betting going on up there when they do that. Most of all just don't assume we are all idiots...some of us (hello..hi...me) probably know more about the car you are selling than you.
I feel the exact same way! They just all stand there, like the vampires from 30 Days of Night or some shit.
Bawt is offline   Reply With Quote