Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-17-2021, 08:45 AM   #1
iredlere

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT Coupe
Shocks

I am thinking of upgrading the shock absorbers on my 2017 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe. Does anybody know what particular Bilstein Shocks should I install on my Camaro?
iredlere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:03 AM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
none they are all junk oem or bust
Old 05-19-2021, 01:16 PM   #3
Dsavage91

Drives: Chevy Camaro 1SS
First of all which trim do you have and what are you trying to achieve?
Dsavage91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:04 PM   #4
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
Upgrading shocks isn't necessarily the answer. Very often, the ideal solution is getting the best possible tires for the wheels you have.

GM has a performance lowering kit that includes shocks and springs, and is said to improve handling while taking a minimal toll on ride quality. I haven't read any first-hand reviews where the person regretted getting them. GM also has upgraded sway bars that could be a solution, depending on what you're trying to do. Sway bars carry few compromises in terms of daily driving.

The only affordable aftermarket shocks I know of for the 6th gen are the Bilsteins. I have yet to find any reviews comparing OEM shocks to the Bilsteins. I hold the Koni brand in higher regard, but unfortunately they don't make anything for our cars.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:05 PM   #5
kropscamaro16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostie View Post
Upgrading shocks isn't necessarily the answer. Very often, the ideal solution is getting the best possible tires for the wheels you have.

GM has a performance lowering kit that includes shocks and springs, and is said to improve handling while taking a minimal toll on ride quality. I haven't read any first-hand reviews where the person regretted getting them. GM also has upgraded sway bars that could be a solution, depending on what you're trying to do. Sway bars carry few compromises in terms of daily driving.

The only affordable aftermarket shocks I know of for the 6th gen are the Bilsteins. I have yet to find any reviews comparing OEM shocks to the Bilsteins. I hold the Koni brand in higher regard, but unfortunately they don't make anything for our cars.

we have a guy selling the bilstein coilover kit used in our fb group for like $600 if you want to try it? lol
Old 05-27-2021, 12:43 PM   #6
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
we have a guy selling the bilstein coilover kit used in our fb group for like $600 if you want to try it? lol

The last Bilstein kit I had on a car (PSS coilovers on an E36 M3) got taken off, in favor of Konis. I couldn't get the Bilsteins to work halfway decently on course. But that was 15 years ago ...

A few years before that, I was running the Sam Strano recommended setup for SCCA F-Stock autocross on my 2001 Z28, which was Koni Sports up front and Bilstein HD in back, and a 35mm solid front sway bar. And that was great. Damn, I am old.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:35 PM   #7
kropscamaro16

ive talked to bilstein and koni and penske and a few other guys out there and pretty much nothing much out there

guy on facebook has a 2 way with remote jrz for sale for $4500 but no perches or springs

but been talking to some guys about mcs 1 or 2 way may bite the bullet later in the year well see...
Old 05-29-2021, 10:14 AM   #8
wal-dog

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 1SS
I have BMR springs. Will the Bilstein's work well with lowering springs?
wal-dog is offline   Reply With Quote