Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-25-2018, 11:07 PM   #1
Evoking

Drives: 15 GX460, 15 Lambo Huracan, 13 E
Track Time & Insurance!

I am seriously considering a 1LE. However a beast like this must get some track time. Those of you that track your cars, do you actually pay for track insurance which I assume would be incredibly high. Or do you only run at tracks with huge run off at your own risk?
05 CL55 AMG
Evoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:24 PM   #2
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
I wonder the same. I just did my first track day and got insurance, but it seems like a lot of $$ if you do it on a regular basis.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:34 PM   #3
red6.2

Drives: 2010 camaro
hey nicktechla, who did you get track insurance with. I have aaa insurance and if they ever find out i got track insurance for my car to be driven at the track, they will flag my car.
red6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:36 PM   #4
nicktechla

Quote:
Originally Posted by red6.2 View Post
hey nicktechla, who did you get track insurance with. I have aaa insurance and if they ever find out i got track insurance for my car to be driven at the track, they will flag my car.
https://www.rlicorp.com/track-day
-- Past --
Old 04-26-2018, 08:06 AM   #5
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Get the insurance. My friend put my twin turbo SS shiny side down at Millville. :( I did not have insurance. I got lucky. Don't count on it.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:16 AM   #6
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Track insurance runs about $300. There are ways to make that more economical though:

1. It's usually for the whole weekend. So if you're thinking of doing two track days, it's cheaper to do them in one weekend rather than two separate weekends.

2. It covers two drivers plus any instructors. If you're comfortable sharing your car with a friend, you could run the car in alternate sessions and split the costs. You'd each be looking at $150/weekend or $75/day instead of $300/day. Tires, brakes, and gas costs will go up though and shouldn't be ignored. It should also be a good friend that you'll trust to not put it in the wall anyways, as it comes with a significant deductible expense.

Good luck with the 1LE, I love mine!
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:04 AM   #7
Evoking

Drives: 15 GX460, 15 Lambo Huracan, 13 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Track insurance runs about $300. There are ways to make that more economical though:

1. It's usually for the whole weekend. So if you're thinking of doing two track days, it's cheaper to do them in one weekend rather than two separate weekends.

2. It covers two drivers plus any instructors. If you're comfortable sharing your car with a friend, you could run the car in alternate sessions and split the costs. You'd each be looking at $150/weekend or $75/day instead of $300/day. Tires, brakes, and gas costs will go up though and shouldn't be ignored. It should also be a good friend that you'll trust to not put it in the wall anyways, as it comes with a significant deductible expense.

Good luck with the 1LE, I love mine!
Wow, that is not bad at all! I figured with such a high probability of totaling it the cost would be 4 figure.
05 CL55 AMG
Evoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #8
nicktechla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
Wow, that is not bad at all! I figured with such a high probability of totaling it the cost would be 4 figure.
it's based on the vehicle cost, so your lambo might be in the 4 figures
-- Past --
Old 04-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #9
RSFR

Drives: ZL1
I always pay for track insurance. I can't just walk away from my car if something happened. It is a very expensive hobby.
RSFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #10
Gurkha

Drives: 2016 Colorado
This insurance does it at a yearly rate vs. a one off contract. Cheaper if you do multiple days a year, crossover point is probably around 35 track days. RLI covers 1-3 days for 300ish ~100/day

The Open Track

- 05/10/2017 - Tail lights to SEMA dark tails lights
- 05/16/2017 - Tint, paint correction, matte hood, Xpel, Ceramic coat
- 11/19/2017 - Diode Dynamics F/R side markers to smoke, reverse, trunk, and license plate LED swap, rear reflectors tinted charcoal
- 04/20/2018 - MRR FS01 Brushed Bronze Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, Carbotech XP12 F/R Brake Pads, Castrol SRF Brake Fluid

2002 SS
1986 IROC Z28
Gurkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:21 PM   #11
s.hammer

Drives: 2015 Z/28
Any time you think the insurance is expensive, just tell yourself how much it will cost you when you crash. It makes the insurance cost pill a little easier to swallow. If you do enough track days, over time, you realize just how common spin outs and crashes are.
s.hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:29 AM   #12
gores

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Up in Canada we buy a separate policy for the day that covers us on the track. Off the track the normal insurance. So if the car gets written on off the track it covers the car (whatever value you want to insure for) plus track damage plus liability. About 500-1000 for the day.
gores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:36 AM   #13
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
I look at the insurance as just another consumeable. In my year of HDPE's since coming from years of drag racing, I have seen at least one nasty incident per event / weekend, none to my knowledge had track insurance. Some easily repairable, some not. Also, some not their direct fault like fluid on the track laid down right in front of them with no warning. Others had such things as someone could not brake in time and ran into them, mechanical failure, but usually, driver error.

I assume we are all over 18 years of age, so, it's down to your own decision on monetary risk. Also, be reasonable on what you value the car at. In a claim, you're only going to get a fair market cash value even if insured for more. The policies state that in the fine print. For example, my car with 16K miles is not going to be valued for a claim payout at MSRP or anywhere near it. That said, if you put a realistic value on it, you're more likely to get that number in the event of a claim and your policy is cheaper.

I have found RLI's rates to be among the lowest, but, Lockton offers discounts if you buy multiple policies at a time. My buddy in his 2015 Porsche GT3 that I typically run often with has been thinking more and more about it after a couple of spins with no damage and cars wrecking in front and behind him. While his policy would be much more than mine, his monetary risk is much more than mine to begin with.

That said, as much as I'd love to be driving a GT3, the overall consumeables, including the insurance I would be buying, are way too much for my tolerance (or should I say my wife's) for as many events as I want to run annually. It's one thing to go run an event every now and then in that type of car, but, often, is a lot of money. Depending on income, it's an issue, or not.

Chris V brings up some very good points including multi-day events. RLI and Lockton both issue policies for up to three days if it is the SAME event. One interesting thing is that private track rentals are not covered. Found that out the day before a private rental last year when my policy I just bought was rejected. Called a few different companies and got the same answer.

Last edited by RUQWIKR; 04-27-2018 at 09:49 AM.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote