Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #1
ShadySS

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue SS
Dreaded lifter knock? Or paranoia?

Hey everyone! I'm 23, and recently bought myself a 2017 1ss with the A8 and NPP, I've worked my balls off for this car so every little thing worries me, the other day I was Reading this thread

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505440

Now this morning I thought I heard the same knocking sounds but not as loud, only when cold but it went away after my 45 min drive to work.

Now I know this is useless without video so I'll post one tonight, but do you guys think I'm being paranoid or is this a serious concern? Only have 4200km on the car.

Thanks!!
ShadySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
Android42019
The Black Emerald

Drives: '17 ZL1, '08 Trailblazer, '11 1LTRS
Any kind of knocking sound and I'd turn the car off and call roadside assistance. My Camshaft split and caused a rocker to collapse under normal driving
Old 08-25-2017, 06:44 PM   #3
ShadySS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android42019 View Post
Any kind of knocking sound and I'd turn the car off and call roadside assistance. My Camshaft split and caused a rocker to collapse under normal driving
Oh jeez, I mean it's not as loud as in the vid I linked from the other thread, and when I went to go home today I listened for it but didn't hear it on startup, it's only sometimes, gonna have to talk to my dealer.

Did you end up getting a new engine? If so, How's the new one?
Old 08-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Shady, check your oil.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #5
ShadySS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Shady, check your oil.
Did an oil change with the dealer at 3000km, what am I looking for, low oil level?
Old 08-25-2017, 10:27 PM   #6
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Yes. Because dealers.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Lifter tick is a very light sound in tight rhythm with the firing of the engine cylinders and goes away if you rev the engine from a cold start or drive it for a little while. It's very normal on most cars. Almost all 5th gens had this. Mine has it, and I've ignored it for years now -- hasn't gotten any worse or better but is generally more noticeable in winter.

Based on the video in the first page of the thread you cited, whatever that other guy was hearing was not your average "lifter tick." That is engine knocking + what sounds like random debris clanking around inside the engine with abnormal timing:

https://youtu.be/0xcwPPBzpn8

To be clear that has nothing to do with lifters, at least directly. In the OP's case, his engine sounded like metal was clanking around because... there was metal clanking around. His camshaft disintegrated from impact with the lifters. Aside from that coincidental fact, it wasn't your average lifter noise by any means. It was the metal shards. I'd hope most people would pull over immediately if their engine sounded that bad, as its in a class of its own pretty much.

What normal lifter tick sounds like

What abnormal lifter tick (technically "lifter knock") sounds like (begins at about 5 seconds in.)
Old 08-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #8
ShadySS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
Lifter tick is a very light sound in tight rhythm with the firing of the engine cylinders and goes away if you rev the engine from a cold start or drive it for a little while. It's very normal on most cars. Almost all 5th gens had this. Mine has it, and I've ignored it for years now -- hasn't gotten any worse or better but is generally more noticeable in winter.

Based on the video in the first page of the thread you cited, whatever that other guy was hearing was not your average "lifter tick." That is engine knocking + what sounds like random debris clanking around inside the engine with abnormal timing:

https://youtu.be/0xcwPPBzpn8

To be clear that has nothing to do with lifters, at least directly. In the OP's case, his engine sounded like metal was clanking around because... there was metal clanking around. His camshaft disintegrated from impact with the lifters. Aside from that coincidental fact, it wasn't your average lifter noise by any means. It was the metal shards. I'd hope most people would pull over immediately if their engine sounded that bad, as its in a class of its own pretty much.

What normal lifter tick sounds like

What abnormal lifter tick (technically "lifter knock") sounds like (begins at about 5 seconds in.)
Mine doesn't sound like your example of bad lifter knock so that helps calm me down a little lol

But it's not rythmic like the first one either I don't think.

Can I post a video without using YouTube on here?
Old 08-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #9
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadySS View Post
Mine doesn't sound like your example of bad lifter knock so that helps calm me down a little lol

But it's not rythmic like the first one either I don't think.

Can I post a video without using YouTube on here?
You cannot add video files as direct attachments to forum posts. You would need to link to a 3rd party hosting site like YouTube.

Near the attachments area when you create a new post on this site, it states:

"Valid file extensions: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip"

So you could technically put the video file in a .zip but it'd be easier to just host it elsewhere.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:57 PM   #10
ShadySS

Having trouble hearing that knocking, turned on the car this morning after being off all night, listened closely and didn't hear it, I only heard it that one day, and it was a colder day.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #11
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Having trouble hearing that knocking, turned on the car this morning after being off all night, listened closely and didn't hear it, I only heard it that one day, and it was a colder day.
Mine has a rhythmic tick when cold as well. I've heard a lt1 corvette start up the other day, and I identified the same sound. Rhythmic ticking that goes with the rpm is fairly common, and I don't think it should alarm you. If the tick gets louder, and begins to knock, record a video for proof, shut the car down, and have it towed to the dealership. Keep that warranty intact guys haha!
Old 08-28-2017, 10:23 AM   #12
ShadySS

Finally heard the sound this morning, recorded it, will upload video here later, it is rythmic, and off camera I gave it a little gas and the speed went up/down with rpms
Old 08-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #13
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Finally heard the sound this morning, recorded it, will upload video here later, it is rythmic, and off camera I gave it a little gas and the speed went up/down with rpms
Please post the clip here also:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506235

Engine sound database in the issues sub forum.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #14
wavsine
________/\_

Drives: Gen6 NGM RS
Send a message via Yahoo to wavsine
DI injectors can also make a ticking sound.
wavsine is offline   Reply With Quote