Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-30-2015, 08:11 PM   #141
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
I tell people all the time that self driving cars of the future are not that far away. And you can be mad if you want, but the drivers will be the dangers on the road. Not the computer controlled cars.

I am impressed by 200 lbs. In car terms today, that's impressive. Given this car will be better in every way compared to my beloved 1LE almost makes me want one. But I hate car payments so I can't wait to pay mine off.

I challenge all of the naysayers to list a lighter car with better performance for the same price. Not a lighter car that seats 2. Not a lighter car that has 200 hp. Not a $100k car. Under $40k and performs better and weighs less. Take your time... I'll wait...
Mustang
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #142
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Well lets see what comes out but anything less than 500 lbs is not really anything all things being equal, unless you are doing timed runs etc. I would think the new suspension and smaller profile will fill out the better handling angle.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:17 PM   #143
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
They are trying their hardest to tempt me into a sixth gen. Had a blast with my 1LE at the track last weekend and am excited about the prospect of something even better becoming available.....
Sorry if this has already been discussed in the latest media teasers, but will a base '16 SS perform better in everyway on the road course vs our 5 gen 1LE's?
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:18 PM   #144
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
I tell people all the time that self driving cars of the future are not that far away. And you can be mad if you want, but the drivers will be the dangers on the road. Not the computer controlled cars.

I am impressed by 200 lbs. In car terms today, that's impressive. Given this car will be better in every way compared to my beloved 1LE almost makes me want one. But I hate car payments so I can't wait to pay mine off.

I challenge all of the naysayers to list a lighter car with better performance for the same price. Not a lighter car that seats 2. Not a lighter car that has 200 hp. Not a $100k car. Under $40k and performs better and weighs less. Take your time... I'll wait...
I'm more than happy with any weight loss...and i'll take the nannies too please. Helps to launch and stay straight, and the track modes are very useful aren't they?
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:18 PM   #145
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
After the reveal, everyone's going to want one. (except for the few grumpy ones )

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:20 PM   #146
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I think back in the 60's I read where you could take an Impala and you could build close to 100,000 cars that no two would be exactly alike by all the optional equipment you could choose from.
not even close...the 1997 Camaro? 15 MILLION build combinations -- trust me on this as I did the math. We built 60 thousand Camaros that year. The costs to offer those 15 million build combinations was one of the reasons that the car went away for a while..........

How many 'stripped' Camaros do we build? Go look at the build numbers as they're on this site. The reality is that the number is very small. The car MUST be appealing to a wide audience in order to be successful. Not everyone wants a seat warmer - but some do - so you must offer it as part of a package. Same for power seats....there was huge outrage when we didn't offer a power passenger seat in the 2010 Camaro. We listened to the customer and it's now part of a package. It's never easy to make any of these decisions - but listening to the customer -- the voice of the collective customer -- makes a successful automobile. No, we won't make everyone happy - we're not about to put manual windows in a Camaro as the costs to do so are staggering. (engineering two types of door innards and wiring harnesses...)
Old 03-30-2015, 08:20 PM   #147
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
Mustang
Nope

GT 3729LBS 435HP

SS 3908 - 200 = 3708 460HP
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:24 PM   #148
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD15 View Post
So I am about 1 year into my '14 1LE. Use it as a daily driver and drove it through the winter with all seasons (except snow days). I still ask myself how is it possible that I am as or more excited about this car than the day that I signed the papers and drove it off the lot. What is it about these cars (including top mustang and challenger models) that stirs passions?

I loved the 5th gen when I saw the concept and even more when i saw it in person. I test drove it a couple of times and knew it was a matter of when and not if. I am not mechanically inclined and can do no serious modding alone. I am not expert in cold air induction, tri-y's, long tubes, headers, coil overs, etc. but I do know that this car makes me feel like a kid again and makes me smile when I'm behind the wheel.

I purchased my gen 5 when I knew gen 6 was on the way. It wasn't because I didn't think the Camaro team couldn't deliver on an improvement and evolution on gen 5 or that first MYs can be buggy but rather I just couldn't wait any longer. To convert me to this level of desire for this car is a testament to the Camaro team. I was down on US cars for a long time - avoiding them for nearly 15 years. You also have to credit these guys for doing what they did at a time when GM was on life support.

Sorry for the diatribe but the excitement over the pieces of information we are getting about gen 6 just overtook me. I will be paying attention to every detail, seeking out pictures, reading reviews, seeing it in person, test driving and who knows one day purchasing a gen 6 1LE or other performance variant to stable along side my '14 1LE.

It's a great time to be an enthusiast.
Steve - we live for posts like yours!!!
Old 03-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #149
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
Well lets see what comes out but anything less than 500 lbs is not really anything all things being equal, unless you are doing timed runs etc. I would think the new suspension and smaller profile will fill out the better handling angle.
This was my thinking as well..

It will be very interesting to see how many Gen6 Camaro's, actually start to push off Gen5 owners off of The Fast List.

Ditto for lap times on the road course.

Let the games begin
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #150
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Yes, for an equivalent 4 or 6 cylinder.

We know that adding the V8 and all it's necessary goodies add around 200 pounds to the Camaro today.

What everyone has been doing is exactly what you did, assume that because a 2.0T ATS weighs 3,400 pounds that you should be able to get a 3,400 pound SS Camaro. Nope. That would require a significant amount of premium materials and drive the price higher resulting in lower volumes, resulting in 2003 all over again. No thank you.

In today's market, 200 pounds is a big deal. Yes, I realize there is a small sample of people that want an engine, transmission, brakes and a steering wheel. That does not make a great car, though. In fact it would make a car that would be so s%&(ty that only a few would buy it. Think COPO volumes. A great car for the few that need that.......a crappy car for pretty much anyone that also likes to drive to work everyday, go on a weekend trip once in a while. There has to be the ability to provide the features that most people want in a car.

I hate to remind you guys, but most Camaro owners don't even know this site exists...or any Camaro site for that matter. To most, it's a really nice car they enjoy owning and driving and as long as it's economical, the insurance premiums are decent and it is reliable, they'll keep driving it. But that's all it means to most buyers or lessees. No mods, no track days. Those are the bread and butter customers GM has to attract with this new car. It simply has to be a great car first, then a great Camaro.

So the Camaro needs to be a simply awesome coupe. The V6 does in fact have to compete with not only the Mustang, but also Honda Accord Coupe. It just has to be better on so many levels that the minimalist crowd will be disappointed. My guess is they will be the only ones disappointed, because I am expecting some pretty great stuff coming our way.

As for the safety stuff, well get ready for the mandates. Once you see statistics that cars with active safety features save lives, they will become mandatory. It's coming.

ALWAYS the voice of reason. People: Listen to Number3 -- he's the real deal and he knows what he's talking about.

Last edited by fbodfather; 03-30-2015 at 09:10 PM.
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:32 PM   #151
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
This was my thinking as well..

It will be very interesting to see how many Gen6 Camaro's, actually start to push off Gen5 owners off of The Fast List.

Ditto for lap times on the road course.

Let the games begin
My "Christine" is so special to me. Built for me and I love her. A 2014 SS.

Can Chevy improve the car? I think way yes in many ways. I look forward to the reveal. But a few lbs and a few 10th's is not mind blowing. These cars are amazing, pleasant surprise by GM this purchase (had a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Daytona Pace Car which sucked so bad I can't even get into it) and I want to see the new Camaro.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:37 PM   #152
BigShow1960
BigShow

Drives: 2017 1 Camaro + Chevy Avalanche
I'm following this release like I followed the Mustang release last year. The Mustang release was disappointment after disappointment. I was ready and set to buy a GT, but I couldn't get over the disappointments and the objective reviews, so I bought my fourth straight Chevy instead.

For the 2016 Camaro, so far so good. Might not be a 2016 model year purchase for me, but soon if they keep this up.

Plastic vs. composite. I doubt plastic parts will be used in a suspension. No one material has all the properties that you desire in a part. A composite materiel will give the best of all possible worlds.

Jeremy Clarkson said that the major flaw of he Shelby that he test drove was the 16 Gallon gas tank, I think he was right. I'll commit to lose 10 pounds if Chevy keeps the 200+ weight loss and the 19 gallon tank.
BigShow1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:05 PM   #153
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
200lb weight loss is a big deal in a muscle car. Sounds like the 6gen is going to be an awesome car with the weight loss and the LT1. If the Base SS is going to handle like the current 1LE, that's gonna be awesome. Just think if they do come out with a ZL1 or a 1LE? Exciting times ahead for the camaro for sure!

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:11 PM   #154
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Sorry if this has already been discussed in the latest media teasers, but will a base '16 SS perform better in everyway on the road course vs our 5 gen 1LE's?
Your guess is as good as mine. I think all the pieces are there from what we've seen so far. The only thing I think the current 1LE would have over a stock 6th gen SS is tires. The Goodyear Eagles are not daily driving year round tires even way down here in South Carolina. Lap for lap do I think a 6th gen SS could be quicker than a fifth gen 1LE with a less aggressive tire? My money is on the sixth gen and I've seen as much as everybody else on here.

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 camaro pounds, 2016 camaro spy, 2016 camaro spy photo, 2016 camaro spy photos, 2016 camaro spy pics, 2016 camaro weighs, 2016 camaro weight, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2016 chevy camaro pounds, 2016 chevy camaro weight, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen camaro weight, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation