Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 08-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Finally made it to the track for the first time with my car

I thought the drag strip was going to be rained out yesterday. A few days ago it was 90% chance of rain. Yesterday morning, when it said 60% chance, that was close enough for me to risk it. The car was on a very safe tune. And I had no way of dialing in the 1-2 shift or 2-3 shift before, because trying to hook at WOT with the 5c converter and 3.73s on street tires is not happening. And I was only at ~25-26* of timing.

Ended up giving it a lot more timing and fought with torque reduction/tm

Ended up going 11.16 @ 123.59 with a 1.52 60'. I picked up almost 27 mph out the back half, and was hitting over 50 lbs/min on the MAF. So it makes good power, imo. Having issues with the throttle body closing, and the torque converter isnt locking until 4th gear. Shift times still need adjusted and shortened. I didnt have the wideband on the car, so I didnt want to give it any more timing than I already had, without verifying AFR.

Ricer excuses:
This was at 3500 DA
This was at full full weight. Back seats and passenger seats and such are still in the car

https://youtu.be/PFw_h2rwEXk
Attached Images

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Not bad at all for first time out with it.

Seems the converter not locking until 4th is par for the course. Hopefully someone can figure it out
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #3
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Not bad at all for first time out with it.

Seems the converter not locking until 4th is par for the course. Hopefully someone can figure it out
Thanks

I thought I read somewhere that someone managed to get it to lock on the top of 2nd/bottom of 3rd.

If I can get that sorted out, and not have the throttle.body close to 30% in first gear, I think I might be in what I like to call "Snowblind and Ultrazls1 territory."

Stock Longblock

Old 08-19-2018, 12:25 PM   #4
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Lol you will be for sure

11.1 in that DA is pretty good and leaving almost another tenth on the table with front and rear seats. And plenty of tuning to do still. 10.7 or better this fall IMO

I’ve done a couple more things but still no converter. I should have enough to squeeze into the 10.7s but likely a little behind you and snowblind as I’m still sticking with the stock converter for now
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
good run!
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
With that converter and gear it won't lock till 4th. You may get the top of 3rd but I doubt it. The stock converter doesn't lock till 3rd. Now you have exponential slip to deal with. Nothing can be done about that. I did get my 4C to lock up at the top of second with a ton of work but that was on the 2.77's and a 28" tire.

You can keep the TB blade open with proper tuning. That shouldn't be an issue at all. Dig into the trans/VT/ET.

More timing won't help. You are bout optimized. Possibly 1* more but then you are into diminishing returns.

The 60ft probably won't improve much. You are most likely shifting before the 60ft out of 1st with the stall slip and gearing. So you won't get a true assessment of the 60ft as you would with a higher gear and making it out in 1st. I would take your 330ft as a better comparison to the rest now.

Good runs for the weight and conditions though. Best I did with ported heads in those conditions was 10.90's with the stock gears at full weight. 3,840lbs.
PRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
With that converter and gear it won't lock till 4th. You may get the top of 3rd but I doubt it. The stock converter doesn't lock till 3rd. Now you have exponential slip to deal with. Nothing can be done about that. I did get my 4C to lock up at the top of second with a ton of work but that was on the 2.77's and a 28" tire.

You can keep the TB blade open with proper tuning. That shouldn't be an issue at all. Dig into the trans/VT/ET.

More timing won't help. You are bout optimized. Possibly 1* more but then you are into diminishing returns.

The 60ft probably won't improve much. You are most likely shifting before the 60ft out of 1st with the stall slip and gearing. So you won't get a true assessment of the 60ft as you would with a higher gear and making it out in 1st. I would take your 330ft as a better comparison to the rest now.

Good runs for the weight and conditions though. Best I did with ported heads in those conditions was 10.90's with the stock gears at full weight. 3,840lbs.
According to my logs, not only am I already on 2nd gear before the 60' (1-2 shift is COMPLETED at 1.05 seconds into the run), but I'm already commanding 3rd by the 60'

I'm actually hoping to get a good amount out of the 60', or maybe I'm being optimistic. The throttle body was closing all the way to 30% for first gear and my shift times were in the ~450 ms range. Just need more TNT time to get everything ironed out I hope.

Thanks for all the input

Hopefully going back on friday for more fun. ADO said the DA for this past run was 4500. Dragtimes says 2800. Either way, this Friday should be a lot better, and I can at least break out a 10 second timeslip

Stock Longblock

Old 08-21-2018, 01:08 PM   #8
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Solid passes Dan

You'll get that puppy dialed in, it takes some trial and error with the gear change. It's good to see that their should be at least 4-5 new members in the Cam6 bolt-on 10 Second Lounge this fall.....and don't let Ultra try to play that Underdog card, he's swinging for the fences too even though he acts like he's not.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #9
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
Solid passes Dan

You'll get that puppy dialed in, it takes some trial and error with the gear change. It's good to see that their should be at least 4-5 new members in the Cam6 bolt-on 10 Second Lounge this fall.....and don't let Ultra try to play that Underdog card, he's swinging for the fences too even though he acts like he's not.
I would play that card to... I mean Pennsylvania OBVIOUSLY has the faster cars.

Stock Longblock

Old 08-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #10
PRAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
According to my logs, not only am I already on 2nd gear before the 60' (1-2 shift is COMPLETED at 1.05 seconds into the run), but I'm already commanding 3rd by the 60'

I'm actually hoping to get a good amount out of the 60', or maybe I'm being optimistic. The throttle body was closing all the way to 30% for first gear and my shift times were in the ~450 ms range. Just need more TNT time to get everything ironed out I hope.

Thanks for all the input

Hopefully going back on friday for more fun. ADO said the DA for this past run was 4500. Dragtimes says 2800. Either way, this Friday should be a lot better, and I can at least break out a 10 second timeslip
Exactly. Holding one gear through the 60ft is key but impossible with that set up. So the 450ms and the trans slip commanded for shifts on the 1/2 and 2/3 with that gear set is killing you. That's why I said look at the 330ft. I am sure you have noticed that the trans sees almost 2,200rpm slip and disconnects around 6K for a 6,500 shift on the 1/2. And that is with a 4C. I see about a 1,800rpm slip with a little less time on the 2/3.

These are the things people never dig into.

Good example are the top dog blower cars that leave in 2nd and go from 1.43 60fts to 1.37 60fts. The car simply can't react fast enough the way this trans works to get it right. You have to command such a low mph to execute the shift that the car really isn't seeing power for up to 1K rpm.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #11
PRAY

Quote:
I would play that card to... I mean Pennsylvania OBVIOUSLY has the faster cars.

Pennsylvania is a State? Never heard of it. LOL.

All the fast cars come from Maryland and NC.

Last edited by PRAY; 08-21-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Exactly. Holding one gear through the 60ft is key but impossible with that set up. So the 450ms and the trans slip commanded for shifts on the 1/2 and 2/3 with that gear set is killing you. That's why I said look at the 330ft. I am sure you have noticed that the trans sees almost 2,200rpm slip and disconnects around 6K for a 6,500 shift on the 1/2. And that is with a 4C. I see about a 1,800rpm slip with a little less time on the 2/3.

These are the things people never dig into.

Good example are the top dog blower cars that leave in 2nd and go from 1.43 60fts to 1.37 60fts. The car simply can't react fast enough the way this trans works to get it right. You have to command such a low mph to execute the shift that the car really isn't seeing power for up to 1K rpm.
I think you just gave me 3 days worth of tests to take to test n tune now. lol

Quote:
Pennsylvania is a State? Never heard of it. LOL.

All the fast cars come from Maryland to NC.
It isn't. It's a Commonwealth, not a state.

and if all the fast cars come from Maryland to NC, then why are you going back to Maryland in the fall.... you are doing it backwards

Stock Longblock

Old 08-21-2018, 02:00 PM   #13
PRAY

Quote:
I think you just gave me 3 days worth of tests to take to test n tune now. lol

It isn't. It's a Commonwealth, not a state.

and if all the fast cars come from Maryland to NC, then why are you going back to Maryland in the fall.... you are doing it backwards
Crap, I meant to say Maryland AND North Carolina. That will be corrected. LOL.

I am heading up to Maryland cuz the track there is only 1,317ft long and it has a 17ft drop from starting line to finish line in the right lane and an 18ft drop in the left lane. Seeing a trend here?

And you learned me something. Didn't know about the Commonwealth thing.

If you truly want the 3.73 gear to work then put the car on a 26" tire and launch it in 2nd. That will get you through the 60ft in one gear and still allow you to utilize more of 6th gear. You can get quite a bit more time in the 1:1 gear with the 26" tire.

Now I am giving away all the secrets.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #14
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Crap, I meant to say Maryland AND North Carolina. That will be corrected. LOL.

I am heading up to Maryland cuz the track there is only 1,317ft long and it has a 17ft drop from starting line to finish line in the right lane and an 18ft drop in the left lane. Seeing a trend here?

And you learned me something. Didn't know about the Commonwealth thing.

If you truly want the 3.73 gear to work then put the car on a 26" tire and launch it in 2nd. That will get you through the 60ft in one gear and still allow you to utilize more of 6th gear. You can get quite a bit more time in the 1:1 gear with the 26" tire.

Now I am giving away all the secrets.
I already quoted you, so you can correct all you want... you can't erase the internet!

Stock Longblock