Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: Trade SS Sedan or Sonic+Cruze?
Trade no-equity 0%-loan 2015 SS Sedan 1 5.56%
Trade owned 2016 Sonic + 2017 Cruze diesel 15 83.33%
No Camaro for me !!!! 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #1
JimRockford

Drives: 1SS + SS-Sedan M6 + Terrain diesel
2015 SS Sedan vs 2019/2020 V8 Camaro

The new LT1 model seems to have convinced me that GM is serious about selling me another stickshift V8 camaro. Cool.

So the question is:

Keep or trade 2015 SS with zero-equity for 2020 LT1 Camaro or 2019 Camaro SS via red-tag/20%-off/0%-financing?
Or trade the 65 mpg 2017 cruze Diesel plus a 2016 Sonic for Camaro, both owned.

(I'm fine with a 2019 with equivalent performance/options/low-OTD-price). V8 & stickshift & heated steering wheel and mag-ride and stick shift make the sale for me. The square wheel/tire setup of 2020 LT1 is preferable too.

I don't really care about styling only or what anyone else thinks about it, so if possible please leave the styling 100% of your advice, except as it relates to color or stealth: I am color blind and prefer either maximum stealth look or bright corvette-yellow or any blue color - or the British racing green.

I've owned 5 Z28s/v8-firebirds, 3rd & 4th gen and an 05 GTO and 015 SS.
1989 IROC with short-gears and dual cats was probably my favorite.
Either that or the Y2K blue/black/no-t-roof with factory Hurst shifter.
Or maybe this next camaro V8 .
Some readers and fellow geezers may remember me from LS1GTO list or as the guy who started/administered the 3rd-gen camaro list in the 1980s, one of the first automotive "mailservs" on "the internet" .

Best regards and thanks for your advice and consideration

Last edited by JimRockford; 05-13-2019 at 01:16 PM.
JimRockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #2
JimRockford

Drives: 1SS + SS-Sedan M6 + Terrain diesel
ps - I am the OP who made up this brilliant poll out of my brilliantly selected vehicles. Fwiw to help you with any advice or ideas: My driving style is "extensive". If/when I commute it is 50 or 60 miles from rural into big-city. I telecommute often and tend to car-commute into the big-city for actual fun & no traffic-jams & free-parking at 5AM. Including commuting, I've averaged 100k on each of my 30+ owned vehicles including cross-country USA roadtrips. Recently I drive a mere 20k miles per year compared to peak of 60k miles per year previously. See you on the big-road!
JimRockford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #3
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
To start, have you even test driven the new Camaros? You may find that you simply do not like it, and that would be an issue obviously. As for colors or styling, everyone has their own choice and you're buying a Camaro, so as long as you're happy....ignore what anyone else says..

Of the ideas you gave, I would trade in the SS sedan and go after the 2019/2020 SS. I would pass on the LT1 model as it is basically a V6 car with a V8 under the hood. If you're really into cars, you will want the SS model... plus it leaves you the economy model cars that get great gas mileage to allow the Camaro to sit in bad weather or when you dont want to drive it.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRockford View Post
The new LT1 model seems to have convinced me that GM is serious about selling me another stickshift V8 camaro. Cool.

So the question is:

Keep or trade 2015 SS with zero-equity for 2020 LT1 Camaro or 2019 Camaro SS via red-tag/20%-off/0%-financing?
Or trade the 65 mpg 2017 cruze Diesel plus a 2016 Sonic for Camaro, both owned.

(I'm fine with a 2019 with equivalent performance/options/low-OTD-price). V8 & stickshift & heated steering wheel and mag-ride and stick shift make the sale for me. The square wheel/tire setup of 2020 LT1 is preferable too.

I don't really care about styling only or what anyone else thinks about it, so if possible please leave the styling 100% of your advice, except as it relates to color or stealth: I am color blind and prefer either maximum stealth look or bright corvette-yellow or any blue color - or the British racing green.

I've owned 5 Z28s/v8-firebirds, 3rd & 4th gen and an 05 GTO and 015 SS.
1989 IROC with short-gears and dual cats was probably my favorite.
Either that or the Y2K blue/black/no-t-roof with factory Hurst shifter.
Or maybe this next camaro V8 .
Some readers and fellow geezers may remember me from LS1GTO list or as the guy who started/administered the 3rd-gen camaro list in the 1980s, one of the first automotive "mailservs" on "the internet" .

Best regards and thanks for your advice and consideration
I love my SS 1LE but I also love the practicality of the SS sedan! Unless GM comes out with ATS sized V caddy with a NA V8, I'll likely end up with an SS as my next car once the wife insists on a more practical car. So my opinion would be to have both the SS and the Camaro. The Camaro's back seat is only useable for children, but the trunk space is surprisingly decent. The LT1 is a great engine and the Alpha chassis is an incredible platform! So to me the LT1 Camaro is the ultimate starting platform. A basic wheel and tire upgrade would wake that car up significantly. As far as the square wheel setup on the LT1 has, its simply 2 sets of Camaro SS front wheels. If looks play no part then I would look for the best equipped 2019 SS you could find and upgrade to 20X10 et25 wheels with 285's all around.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
The LT1 is a great engine and the Alpha chassis is an incredible platform! So to me the LT1 Camaro is the ultimate starting platform. A basic wheel and tire upgrade would wake that car up significantly. As far as the square wheel setup on the LT1 has, its simply 2 sets of Camaro SS front wheels. If looks play no part then I would look for the best equipped 2019 SS you could find and upgrade to 20X10 et25 wheels with 285's all around.
Unfortunately, as far as we've been told (still not 100% sure of it), the LT1 Camaro V8 will come without the Brembos, without the coolers that come standard on the SS, and basically it's a 1LT Camaro (I4/V6) with just a V8 in it.

You can't upgrade anything else on it by much when you buy it new either... so unless you really just want a V8 cruiser....I'd tell you to look at buying a 1SS..
Old 05-13-2019, 03:30 PM   #6
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Unfortunately, as far as we've been told (still not 100% sure of it), the LT1 Camaro V8 will come without the Brembos, without the coolers that come standard on the SS, and basically it's a 1LT Camaro (I4/V6) with just a V8 in it.

You can't upgrade anything else on it by much when you buy it new either... so unless you really just want a V8 cruiser....I'd tell you to look at buying a 1SS..
You can still have fun without the coolers and larger brakes. No I wouldn't track it but he could still have plenty of fun and take some corners when the mood strikes. Most of what you lose from the brakes and coolers is long duration sustained performance. As long as he isn't running the car hard on a track likely the car will still stand up to anything he will put it through on the street.

BTW looks like you still get the 4 piston brembos on the LT1. See the picture below.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:

That's just a stock photoshopped pic, I would count it as being indicative of the car having Brembos. Not saying it won't have them.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #8
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I believe the LT1 trim will still get the Brembos...that is just my feeling. But yeah...unless you are tracking the car, (or insist on driving hard on the street in 100 degree temps I guess lol) the extra coolers don't really matter much

A part of me wishes when I bought my 2016 Camaro SS, that I'd have instead bought an SS sedan when they on red tag 20% off sale. But I couldn't get past the sort of bland styling and the fact that the Camaro had the LT1/8speed versus the LS3 / 6speed was another big reason.

SS sedan would have been much more practical, cool to own, and they have more or less retained the same value as they were selling for on the lot brand new. Trying to buy a used one now is an expensive ordeal if you want a nice one.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Hmm, a few questions:

Finance rate on the 2015 SS Sedan? I assume by zero equity, you mean they will give you in trade what you owe on it?

Also, is the SS Sedan a manual?
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #10
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
You can still have fun without the coolers and larger brakes. No I wouldn't track it but he could still have plenty of fun and take some corners when the mood strikes. Most of what you lose from the brakes and coolers is long duration sustained performance. As long as he isn't running the car hard on a track likely the car will still stand up to anything he will put it through on the street.

BTW looks like you still get the 4 piston brembos on the LT1. See the picture below.
I know you don't need those items to still have fun, but I'm just pointing out possible pros/cons to consider. I absolutely agree with you that he could have all the fun in the world with this setup. I mean, it's basically what most Mustang GT's have had for years anyways...

When asked stuff like this, I just try to point out the big stuff...whether its good or bad. Informed decisions are always the best idea, even if you choose something other than what you initially thought of..

The other thing to consider here is that he does drive ALOT....and he may not want to put those miles on the Camaro day in and day out..
Old 05-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #11
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
SS sedan would have been much more practical, cool to own, and they have more or less retained the same value as they were selling for on the lot brand new. Trying to buy a used one now is an expensive ordeal if you want a nice one.
So true! Despite the bland styling, for me the SS sedan would have been perfect. I did look for one when my Focus died but they were either out of my price range still or had more miles than I wanted. You are going to pay $$ to find a clean one with low mileage
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:03 PM   #12
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
That's just a stock photoshopped pic, I would count it as being indicative of the car having Brembos. Not saying it won't have them.
That was a photo pulled from a GM press release. I'm pretty sure its not photoshopped.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:38 PM   #13
Turkish01

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I believe the LT1 trim will still get the Brembos...that is just my feeling. But yeah...unless you are tracking the car, (or insist on driving hard on the street in 100 degree temps I guess lol) the extra coolers don't really matter much

A part of me wishes when I bought my 2016 Camaro SS, that I'd have instead bought an SS sedan when they on red tag 20% off sale. But I couldn't get past the sort of bland styling and the fact that the Camaro had the LT1/8speed versus the LS3 / 6speed was another big reason.

I know how you feel, I was trying to buy one during their 20% red tag sale. Conveniently there was a seatbelt recall at the time and they weren’t allowed to sell them so I ended up with the Camaro instead. Bad timing
Turkish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #14
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
That was a photo pulled from a GM press release. I'm pretty sure its not photoshopped.
Quote:
And this photo was pulled from the Chevy website. Spot the similarities.

Still, not saying it won't get brembo brakes. Will be at least an option.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote