Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-07-2019, 08:38 PM   #71
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Track visits are always risky.

Conservative is the name of the game especially on this track that has nil run off...
Pictures of your car will show up in spy photos. "GM Testing LT5" or " New motor for Camaro"

Or videos stating the exhuast sounds like it has a Turbo under the hood.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #72
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Red Hot ZL1: Yes, Sir. The Camaro appears to be fitting in for daily driver/weekend fun auto. Daily commute nets right at 20 mpg (24 mile round trip)...with some static traffic...German Stau challenges. So when you coming over for a lap of the Ring? ;-)

BradfordCamaro: :-) Think the regulars know better - true Chevy effort would not be putsying around at such a slow pace!
Old 04-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #73
Tim M

Happy Easter! I got a kitchen pass so beat feet to make another visit to the Nurburgring - only made sense since 4-day German holiday and very little was open/available to do...except a couple of laps!

0515 departure...0800 arrival right on schedule. I thought it was early, but the lot was nearly full!

Bought 6 lap credits, 5 for the ring and 1 (15 min session) for the open GP circuit!

Headed out with full nanny control once again - some concern I'm learning bad habits, but better to survive another day.

Got three laps in quick succession and then track closed - 58 minutes from opening and already an issue. Traffic was present and slowed the pace a bit, but still increased my comfort of the track. 8:25 was the best today.

With the Ring in hiatus, headed to the F1 GP track for a 15 min session (30 Euro).

This was great fun - seemingly a boring track (relatively speaking), but had nice competition. The cornering power is impressive as is the brakes. FWIW: best of a 2:29 lap of the 5.

At 1015 the Ring was a traffic jam...5 mins delay just getting off the track! Packed it in for the day (it is Easter)...pointed the car east and set the cruise @ 100 mph. Very impressive car that takes it all in stride...no power steering fluid overtemps, no coolant overtemps, no brake 'warping', no 300 degree oil temps...still drives straight down the road. Finally seems like manufactures are offering a solid track car!

Had to swing by the facilities to clean off the bugs! Garage used to be used by German Tank repair/cleaning.

71 track miles, 260 oil temps, near 800 KM round trip...worst mileage: 5.5 mpg.

Partial fill cost $75!

Videos to follow.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #74
Tim M

Some serious suspension compression at 1.2+ g in the carousel!

Old 04-26-2019, 09:11 PM   #75
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Some serious suspension compression at 1.2+ g in the carousel!

Living vicariously through you and your pics and videos. So awesome!!
Old 04-26-2019, 10:26 PM   #76
Tim M

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizlstik View Post
Living vicariously through you and your pics and videos. So awesome!!
Swizlstik: Thanks - I will make every effort to assist in your habit!

Video of the Nurburgring GP track...certainly more time left in there...

Old 04-29-2019, 06:33 PM   #77
Tim M

And another...glasses fogged up at the end so finished rather lethargically...

Old 05-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #78
Tim M

Took the car for the last wash at the historic Panzer tank facility for the last time - place is getting refurbished. Unfortunately, it is a 2 month move so the 'auto hobby shop' will be closed for 2 months. Hopefully only a simple oil change will be required in that time - certainly the benefit of a new car.

Did a quick trip to the states for business...visited a dealer to sample a possible upgrade...ZL1 1LE - impressive!

Obviously the handling was a notch better (firm!), but the motor was something else! Got me thinking on the possibilities!

Unfortunately, the dive planes, splitter, and possibly the tire stick out would be cause for concern with German legal. Officially, the car can't be imported by Europeans - Americans are under slightly different rules.

and

I could remove the dive planes/splitter for inspection and even install a set of take off wheel/tires from Craigslist... I'd have to sell my current 1LE as well - some challenges for an exchange with local nationals. Germany tariffs our cars 30%...

Nonetheless, I digress...nearly headed to the Ring on Mother's Day...poor form though. Instead did a 4 hour round trip to otherside of the Country - 22mpg at ~100 mph cruise - acceptable!

The Bavarian part of the country is challenging for level ground and the requirement IMO for a legitimate top speed check. Locally, the Autobahns are restricted (~120 kph / 77 mph) due to traffic. Must drive quite a bit and even then seems still not a dead flat roadway. Anyhow, indicated mph seems very close to Chevy's claim of 175 mph.

Have had several runs of a 175 and two coming off a hill (179) to 'flat' ground with it hovering between 176 and 177. RPM is solid 6000. Temps are 40 with calm wind and tires at 35 psi cold (1500 miles old). Oil temps rise to 275 and trans hits 200 degrees.

Pretty impressive! I did see a ZL1 video (6 spd/non-1LE) and it hit the limiter at 175...nothing left (due to gearing) so there again, the standard SS hits above its mark!

And yes all this was done completely legally! :-)

Last edited by Tim M; 05-12-2019 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #79
Tim M

This is from a previous visit...nice pro shot - give some point toward the altitude variation the Nurburgring has...challenging to comprehend thru videos:

Old 05-19-2019, 12:13 AM   #80
Red Hot ZL1

Drives: 2014 Red Hot ZL1 Vert. M6.
Grandma! If it ain't squealing, you aren't pushing it hard enough. Looks like you are having fun.

"For sale 2018 Camaro driven by a little grandma on Sundays."
Red Hot ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:54 AM   #81
Tim M

Red Hot ZL1: :-) It is well broken in! You were right - maybe a ZL1 should have been purchased in the first place - autobahn just soaks up the HP!

Plenty more time on the Ring left...keeps me coming back!
Old 05-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #82
Tim M

Hit 10,000 miles...refreshed it with 10 quarts of Motul 5W-40 and filter.

Also swapped front tires...still marvel at the size of the 6 piston calipers:

Also splurged for a specific oil fill funnel...screws into the threads and eliminates the dribble down the side of the engine while filling those 5 quart jugs. High quality Motive Tools:

Tomorrow looks weather promising for another track visit - Ring. 2 weeks will possibly be Hockenhiem (roughly an hour away)...
Old 05-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #83
RIPPINGEARZ

Tomorrow looks weather promising for another track visit - Ring. 2 weeks will possibly be Hockenhiem (roughly an hour away)...[/QUO

What happened to your Camaro Lettering?
Old 05-24-2019, 10:41 AM   #84
Tim M

Lettering...think the last 175 mph run blew it off! Actually, I don't know...it just flakes off. I haven't even cleaned that with any chemicals, etc. If I was in the states, I'd look to Chevy to replace it, but may not matter in the future anyhow.

Isn't that a cool funnel for 23 bucks?!!