Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 12-15-2016, 09:53 PM   #1
race2win

Drives: 1LT 2.0T
Camaro 2.0T SCCA D-Street Autocross Thread

Hey everyone, I recently bought a 2016 1LT base model 2.0T 6-speed manual for the purpose of competing in SCCA Autocross events in the D-Street class. I thought I would start a new thread highlighting my build process, as well as a place where other 2.0T owners can share set-up information and results. (sorry in advance for the long read)

A little background on me, I've been autocrossing almost 25 years in Northern CA, and have owned/driven too many car to count. My last car (still have it, it's for sale ) was a 2013 Ford Focus ST, I purchased it new and set it up to compete in the G-Street class. I was fortunate enough to hook up with Sam Strano from Strano Performance Parts (stranoparts.com), together we developed a great rear sway bar for that car that helped me win back-to-back National Championships in 2014 & 2015.

This past season I co-drove a friend's 2015 Ecoboost Mustang in F-Street, it was quick enough to get me a 3rd place finish at Nationals, but I'm convinced the 2.0T Camaro is even better

For those that don't know, in 2017 many popular RWD performance cars will be moving to D-Street...a class dominated in the past by cars such as the Subaru WRX, Mini Cooper S, Integra Type R, etc. Along with the 2.0T Camaro and it's mechanical twin Cadillac ATS, other cars going to DS include the Ecoboost Mustang, most sub-300HP BMWs, the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, and other 300-ish HP RWD cars that were previously buried in F-Street. In addition, the Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S (without the TRD spring package), and 95-99 BMW M3 are moving from C-Street to D-Street.

As you can see, D-Street has become one of the most interesting SCCA Solo classes, lots of fun and affordable performance cars with a chance to win! I chose the Camaro for a few simple reasons - The Alpha platform is simply fantastic, its quite a bit lighter than the Mustang, and is a whole lot more fun to drive on the street compared to a BRZ. The FR-S & BRZ (Twins we call them) are going to be tough to beat, they are very light and nimble and handle tight autocross courses very well, but I'm up for the challenge

For those unfamiliar with SCCA rules, here's what is allowed in the Street Category and how it pertains to the Camaro 2.0T:
  • Wheels must be the same width as stock, but can be +/- 1" in diameter, and/or 7mm in offset. For base 2.0T's without the RS package this means you can utilize 17, 18, or 19" wheels in 8.5" width with offset ranging from 25-39mm. RS Package cars can use 19 or 20" wheels in 8.5" width with offset ranging from 18-32mm. I recently ordered a set of light weight 19x8.5 Forgestar CF5V wheels from Stranoparts in a 25mm offset to take full advantage of the offset rule (this wheel would also be 100% legal on RS Package cars). I also plan to buy a set of 18x8.5 wheels for courses where shorter gearing would be helpful.
  • Tires must be 200+ treadwear, otherwise there is no size limit...whatever you can cram onto the above wheel specs is good to go. I am going to start with 265/35-19s on my Forgestars, but will also be experimenting with 265 & 275 18's. My tire of choice is the Bridgestone RE-71R.
  • One sway bar may be changed, front OR rear, your choice but not both. For the SS Camaro in F-Street my buddy Ryan Otis helped Stranoparts develop a great front sway bar, and promptly won the FS National Championship with it! After some initial test runs I may also try this bar on the 2.0T, but with the weight difference, especially on the nose I'm not sure a stiffer front bar is the way to go yet...more to come on this!
  • Shocks may be upgraded but not springs, and they are limited to two adjustments. Right now there is no simple solution for any Gen6 Camaro, I'm hoping Koni will offer a direct replacement single-adjustable Sport shock/strut set-up, but for now it's stock shocks for us unless you want to fab something with custom inserts in the stock housings.
  • Alignments can be adjusted within factory specs, utilizing practices called out in the factory service manual. For the Mustang this was awesome as the FSM called out for slotting of the lower strut mount bolt holes to compensate for crash damage...enabling us to get almost 2.75* front camber. Unfortunately no such language is in the Chevy FSM, so from what I understand we are limited to the adjustment ranges in the factory hardware. I plan to get mine on the alignment rack in early January to see what we can get.
  • Exhausts are free from the cat-back, as long as they meet sound regulations and exit in the stock location (dual exit exhausts may be converted to single). I have not spent very much time researching what is available for the 2.0T, I know Borla...anything else? The ideal set-up IMO would be a light weight single set-up that is also semi-quiet
  • That's about it for Street, there are other minor allowances such as any air filter that fits in the original box, any brake pads/fluid, etc...but the above are the bulk of what will optimize the car for competition.
So far all I have done is order the wheels, next up will be a competition alignment and then it's maiden voyage in January with the first National event in March at the San Diego Match Tour! Very much looking forward to the development of this car, hopefully this thread will be a great resource for other 2.0T owners as well!

SCCA D-Street #49/149
stranoparts.com
Bridgestone Tires
race2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #2
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Wow!! That sounds awesome!!!
Old 12-15-2016, 11:25 PM   #3
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
This guy is the real deal. Kind of a hero driver in the Focus ST.

I followed your exploits closely over on focusst.org

I will be really interested to hear if you think the car is competitive.

I sold my ST to jump to a Camaro, also.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:41 AM   #4
Autosenses

Drives: MK7GTI, 21 Traverse
Send a message via AIM to Autosenses
this is going to be good! Please post up the wheels when you get them!

Do the rules allow weight reduction?

Nice Job
Autosenses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:26 AM   #5
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Thank you sir, I've been dying for this info, everywhere I search seems to have out dated info regarding the classes.
Won't get much of a chance next year, but we (the fiance and I) hope to compete (a bit) in 2018!
We're total nubies when it comes to this so we hope to get out to some instructional classes next year at Calabogie Motorsports Park and then progress from there...
Thanks again for making this thread!

First thread I've subscribed to!

Last edited by Corner carver; 12-16-2016 at 05:36 AM.
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:38 AM   #6
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1ce View Post
this is going to be good! Please post up the wheels when you get them!

Do the rules allow weight reduction?

Nice Job
Also interested if weight reduction is allowed... Also altered body panels (front/rear facia, hood, ect.)

race2win: would you happen to have a link handy for up to date rules? Also are these the same rules used in Canadian events?
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #7
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Great Post!

My girlfriend's dad does auto-X in NE CT and I go every time i get the chance. When i brought my 1LT there, everyone was like "why arent you racing" "what times did you get" "that thing is sweet, do you mind if i do a ride along"

But! I was not racing as i had about 130 miles on it and no helmet to use. I plan on doing a lot of this in 2017. Im excited to see what this thing can do on the track. Ive gotten used to its limits on the road (quite frequently) and Ive always wanted to get out on a track.

Ill tell you what though, the focus' always win! Couple modded out STs and an RS took 1st, 2nd and 3rd, 4 times i have gone to the track.

If anyone in CT, or around CT wants to get together in the spring to get to Lime Rock or Thompson Speedway, etc., Please PM me!

Until then, Happy Snow Days!

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #8
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Congrats Mark, on the new car, looks good. It's going to be exciting watching you kick butt with this one. Try not to make us V8 guys look bad

------
John
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #9
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
No weight reduction in SCCA street other than what he mentioned above- post cat exhaust and wheels. I'm in F street, and have pretty much optimized my car in the same way ryan otis did- wheels (on order), tires, sway bar, air filter, and alignment. I have MRC so no shocks for me either, and NPP so no exhaust for me. Maybe some day I'll consider switching to CAM or STP.
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #10
race2win

Thanks everyone!

Like fighting irish mentions, you can only take advantage of weight reduction with an allowable modification, otherwise it must remain stock. One thing to always keep in mind with the SCCA Solo rulebook...if it does not specifically say you CAN, then you CANNOT.

In Street exhaust systems and wheels are typically the only way to save any measurable weight, but on a car like the Camaro those items are quite heavy from the factory so take advantage of it if you can. That's why I mention a single exit exhaust as it will be lighter than a dual system.

Here is a link to the SCCA Solo Rules page https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules
On this page there are links to the entire rulebook, as well as quick links to each Category and Appendix A which is the vehicle classification list.

Note that at this time there is only a Draft of the 2017 rules, there are still some minor changes happening before the 2017 rules are official, but expect that by the beginning of the year. Once that happens I will update this thread with the links.

Hope that helps!
SCCA D-Street #49/149
stranoparts.com
Bridgestone Tires
Old 12-17-2016, 12:14 PM   #11
race2win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
Also interested if weight reduction is allowed... Also altered body panels (front/rear facia, hood, ect.)

race2win: would you happen to have a link handy for up to date rules? Also are these the same rules used in Canadian events?
Just noticed I missed a couple of your questions...

No, alternate body panels are not allowed in Street, aftermarket hoods and fenders would take you all the way to Street Modified.

Not sure about Canadian rules, I believe most clubs up north follow the SCCA rules, but probably best to ask your local club for sure.

I posted a link in the above post regarding rules, again check back in January for a final 2017 version (note that the 2016 rules do not show the 2.0T Camaro anywhere as it was just classed for 2017).

Hope that helps, good luck!
SCCA D-Street #49/149
stranoparts.com
Bridgestone Tires
Old 12-17-2016, 08:11 PM   #12
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Hey, Mark...

I have a letter into the SAB about 1LE classing.

Any ideas or insights about where it might land?

I am betting on AS since the GT350 is there.

Our regions 1st event is the 2nd week of Jan and there has only been a 'need more data' response from the Board.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #13
race2win

Look for official classing of both 1LE's and the ZL1 in the upcoming Fastrack, which will actually be out this week sometime.

There was lots of discussion on these cars, but the delay was mostly due to official availability and pricing on them...took a while for anyone to get accurate info...not to mention the possibility of these cars performing much better than the sum of their parts
SCCA D-Street #49/149
stranoparts.com
Bridgestone Tires
Old 12-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #14
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by race2win View Post
Look for official classing of both 1LE's and the ZL1 in the upcoming Fastrack, which will actually be out this week sometime.

There was lots of discussion on these cars, but the delay was mostly due to official availability and pricing on them...took a while for anyone to get accurate info...not to mention the possibility of these cars performing much better than the sum of their parts
Sounds like A Street, , I was hoping for B Street, to stay away from the lighter C5 and C6 Z06's
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote