Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 05-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #631
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Ya can't take it with you. Speaking of jim. Where's he been this year? Im data logging the new fuel set up for Lund. Ill be able to run E85 soon. Im hoping for another 3ths. Come fall.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:36 PM   #632
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
Ya can't take it with you. Speaking of jim. Where's he been this year? Im data logging the new fuel set up for Lund. Ill be able to run E85 soon. Im hoping for another 3ths. Come fall.
Heads cam build. It’s almost ready
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:07 AM   #633
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

That's cool. The pray set up?
Old 05-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #634
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
I think he sent his motor to Texas speed for a pretty hearty build.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #635
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
I should be there Tuesday, weather permitting, and I did go with with a Texas Speed setup.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:17 PM   #636
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Old 05-11-2019, 06:02 PM   #637
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
I should be there Tuesday, weather permitting, and I did go with with a Texas Speed setup.
What kinda HP numbers did you pick up from your trip? Did they run it on an engine dyno?
Old 06-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #638
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Im heading out this Tuesday. To get a little practice on the E85 set up. Any of you guys going Tuesday?

Last edited by GossipSquirrelJelena; 06-10-2019 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:35 PM   #639
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Thanks! Yet your GT is really fast stock and a fun car. 10 AUTO or M6?

Nowadays we scoff at 12 second cars. Yet 12 seconds is a fast car. But I will say good modding can be carefully done. My '16 M6 SS was an almost all out bolton car and it ran and drove great. I do miss the M6 a little. I don't miss the long tube sound.

On one of my recent Camaros, my 2011 M6 LSD3 SS I seriously upgraded the suspension to fix the stock spooky step out handling. The results in performance were significant but the solid bushings transmitted the diff whine and the upgraded end links rattled. So the handling was much improved, and I took it out on a real race track. Fun. But the car with all the extra NVH made it less fun to drive every day.

Then when the 1LE came out I bought one of those. The handling was world class for the time with low NVH. But after doing the bolton route I went big with Twin Turbos. That extra 300 HP improved my ETs by about one second over the bolton level, but it also broke stuff. And I ended up redoing the bushings and replaced the Diff with the ZL1 diff. The extra weight dumbed down the handling and the NVH was ruined now with the diff whine and the steam locomotive noises. I decided that I ruined the car and was going to put it back to a bolton 1LE which was the modding sweet spot for that car. But then my friend totaled it. :(

I think with modding you carefully map out a plan and then slowly add the mods one at a time. With the ZL1 I think I do have a plan that would work without ruining the driving experience. For one thing avoid long tubes. Modern LS and LT engines with LTs have a very unpleasant sound with to my ears. But with porting, E85, and a good tune you can add close to 100 HP with zero changes to the sweet ZL1 driving experience. But for now I am sticking with mostly stock.

I have been to Atco twice since my last post, but still running 11.3-4 when it wasn't raining.

Also along these lines I have but the stock back tires on for the summer. The great Atco DA is just about gone so why not enjoy driving the car more now? And I bet my ETs will still be about the same. ON street tires my best 60's are about the same as with the DRs, but with DRs I am more consistent.
Mine is an M6, PP car. I ran a 12.8@114 with it. I couldn't get better than a 2.1 60, and my wheel hop was pretty bad. I ran a 12.52 with my s197 that just had basic suspension mods, but I feel like this car is stronger, especially on the top end.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #640
Fraxum

You may have noticed less posting from me. Sigh. Since I bought the ZL1 I know now depending on the DA and the slight downhill slope of a drag strip it will run 11.1-11.6 and 122-129 mph. Apparently besides the slight launch bog and the unexpected throttle closings of the stock tune even with the nannies all off do affect things from one run to another. While a 10 may be possible on a given day it may take a lucky run on a good DA day to get there. This should be a 10 second car stock. It is not. I give up for now.

Now I know a tune, a big gulp and a small pulley would get me there. But I really don't want to throw a hand grenade into the residual value of the car with the tune and make it harder to move if I decide to make that happen. I do have a toe in that water for a number of reasons.

But what discourages me is even more speed makes it even a little less usable on the street. It already is too much for the street most of the time. And I for sure will not put LTs on this car and ruin the pleasant sounds it makes now. I may ramp it up a little with some sort of valved cat back one day.

I guess for now, enough is enough and I can enjoy just driving the car. It is a blast and the attention makes you feel like a rock star. Some times so much so it's a little embarrassing.

And to throw even more cold water on drag racing my buddy Pat has traded in his low 10 second Mustang GT for an Explorer. He said he was tired of throwing money away. He also was hoping for a 9 and with a better tune to take advantage of his convertor he might have gotten there. But he said he was getting bored with it and would spend no more. LOL So for now he will just come in his station wagon and watch the racing with his buddies.

In that same vein I was gett a bit bored drag racing the ZL1. I did like the close races, but since I know pretty much what the car will run, without a close race where is the excitement? Really the A10 has ruined me for drag racing right now. The only real chance to be involved is the launch itself. Then just push the pedal through the carpet all the way to the lights. Even Pat agrees with this sentiment.

While I enjoy driving the ZL1 more than any other car I have ever owned, I enjoyed drag racing much more when I was driving a manual, where launching the car is just the beginning of driver involvement. I wish I still had my bolton SS M6 to have more fun at the track. But liking the Z more overall.

BTW I watched Snowblind knocking on the nines last Friday. He will get there soon I am sure.

I will still go to watch from time to time, see you there!
Old 06-18-2019, 09:05 PM   #641
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

I'll see ya there in the fall. We tested the E85. Pretty confident we'll run 9s this fall. We ran 10.2s on drag radials that have seen better days. Jelena got a new PB. She hit 10.28@137 with 1500ish DA. And a 1.65 sixty. So itll be fun to see if she gets a 9 second slip this fall. I'm done modding also. Getting near a breaking point with the motor and transmission.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:45 AM   #642
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
I'll see ya there in the fall. We tested the E85. Pretty confident we'll run 9s this fall. We ran 10.2s on drag radials that have seen better days. Jelena got a new PB. She hit 10.28@137 with 1500ish DA. And a 1.65 sixty. So itll be fun to see if she gets a 9 second slip this fall. I'm done modding also. Getting near a breaking point with the motor and transmission.
Man you guys are flying! Let us know if you get there or even close. I hated those nn.001 and nn.002 slips! Fun to have a builtin drag race buddy.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:42 PM   #643
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Quote:
Fun to have a builtin drag race buddy.
Couldn't agree more. And with her being so consistently inconsistent. It's a big deal when she gets it right. Which also makes it fun.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #644
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
You may have noticed less posting from me. Sigh. Since I bought the ZL1 I know now depending on the DA and the slight downhill slope of a drag strip it will run 11.1-11.6 and 122-129 mph. Apparently besides the slight launch bog and the unexpected throttle closings of the stock tune even with the nannies all off do affect things from one run to another. While a 10 may be possible on a given day it may take a lucky run on a good DA day to get there. This should be a 10 second car stock. It is not. I give up for now.

Now I know a tune, a big gulp and a small pulley would get me there. But I really don't want to throw a hand grenade into the residual value of the car with the tune and make it harder to move if I decide to make that happen. I do have a toe in that water for a number of reasons.

But what discourages me is even more speed makes it even a little less usable on the street. It already is too much for the street most of the time. And I for sure will not put LTs on this car and ruin the pleasant sounds it makes now. I may ramp it up a little with some sort of valved cat back one day.

I guess for now, enough is enough and I can enjoy just driving the car. It is a blast and the attention makes you feel like a rock star. Some times so much so it's a little embarrassing.

And to throw even more cold water on drag racing my buddy Pat has traded in his low 10 second Mustang GT for an Explorer. He said he was tired of throwing money away. He also was hoping for a 9 and with a better tune to take advantage of his convertor he might have gotten there. But he said he was getting bored with it and would spend no more. LOL So for now he will just come in his station wagon and watch the racing with his buddies.

In that same vein I was gett a bit bored drag racing the ZL1. I did like the close races, but since I know pretty much what the car will run, without a close race where is the excitement? Really the A10 has ruined me for drag racing right now. The only real chance to be involved is the launch itself. Then just push the pedal through the carpet all the way to the lights. Even Pat agrees with this sentiment.

While I enjoy driving the ZL1 more than any other car I have ever owned, I enjoyed drag racing much more when I was driving a manual, where launching the car is just the beginning of driver involvement. I wish I still had my bolton SS M6 to have more fun at the track. But liking the Z more overall.

BTW I watched Snowblind knocking on the nines last Friday. He will get there soon I am sure.

I will still go to watch from time to time, see you there!
Great to see that you are still enjoying the car. I think that you are doing the right thing as you mentioned throwing a grenade into the resale value in an effort to run a number by adding significant modifications wouldn't be a great idea. Your car is plenty fast as is and I am certain it is a whole lot of fun on the street.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote