#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 05-08-2019, 09:41 PM   #15
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
On "fried"...each caliper piston bore of this design has an outer dust boot / seal, a piston in the machined bore, and a pressure seal / o-ring. Typically, the outer dust boot / seal will start to crack, breakdown from a higher temp than it was validated to take. Dust and dirt can get past it more easily then which can lead to scratched piston bore walls and / or damage to the pressure seal.

If the pressure seal gets compromised, either by excess heat and / or dust and dirt, you then will have a pressure leak, anywhere from very minor up to a loss of brakes.

I ran a year on stock J6M (SS 1LE) brakes with stock pads and was not easy on brakes. Never hurt a dust seal or inner seal due to excess heat. I ran a year with J6H (ZL1) brakes on my SS 1LE...same thing...no issues on stock pads.

The J57 CCB front calipers are the same as the J6H ZL1 (not talking paint color) except for one key difference: they have vented pistons to keep heat away from the seals. Like the J6H pistons, the main body of each piston is aluminum, but, the vented tops are steel. Top pic...middle pic is typical J6M / J6H style of pistons. Those are the pressure seals that go in the machined groove in the piston bore. Examples of dust seal / boot is the lower pic - of course, only two sizes vs. the three on our fronts.

Racing Brakes has upgrade too with vented piston. Full kit with high temp dust seals costs 520 bucks. Do you have part number for yours? Curious cost.
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #16
NickyRacerBoy

These?
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #17
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
That was a price mistake on Amazon. Should be $160-$190ish. Anyways, that PN is for the J57 versions of the calipers. I believe they are the same size for J6H and J6M (17+ SS 1LE). The boots (19207044) show the same for them all. As you mentioned, RacingBrake has higher temp boots, and its vented pistons are all stainless steel. RB's kits for the fronts show the same PN between J57, J6M, and J6H front.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #18
NickyRacerBoy

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
That was a price mistake on Amazon. Should be $160-$190ish. Anyways, that PN is for the J57 versions of the calipers. I believe they are the same size for J6H and J6M (17+ SS 1LE). The boots (19207044) show the same for them all. As you mentioned, RacingBrake has higher temp boots, and its vented pistons are all stainless steel. RB's kits for the fronts show the same PN between J57, J6M, and J6H front.

So basically if I ran GM parts I should run ZR1 pistons? To be clear what is that part#? When you add up both calipers then RB prices with hi temp seals are not that far off?
Old 05-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #19
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
So basically if I ran GM parts I should run ZR1 pistons? To be clear what is that part#? When you add up both calipers then RB prices with hi temp seals are not that far off?
I'm 99% sure that the SS 1LE front and ZL1 front (Gen6) pistons are the same size diameter AND depth. If that's the case, the 19207043 vented piston kit (comes with the pressure seals) and the 19207044 dust seals / boots should work. RacingBrake shows the same PN for their total kit between those calipers.

However, if you are over-temping (pads, air flow, driving style) them more than what they were designed for, you will still have issues. Are you running 18" wheels? Lots less brake air flow with those that 19" or 20" of course.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:24 PM   #20
PhreddT
Drive fast, take chances.

Drives: 69 Z/28, 85 SS Monte, 01 2500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osbornsm View Post
Had my 2nd track day with the SS 1LE @ Autobahn Country Club - Full course = 3.56 miles.

- Hot-lap time: 2:50.62
- Rotor temp (after cooldown): 718 F
- Caliper temp (after cooldown): 440 F
- Oil temp = 240 F

This is significantly better than the last track day where I boiled the Motul brake fluid and went high-speed farming.
...also shaved another second off my time yesterday.

Reason the brakes survived this time...
  1. Upgraded to Castrol SRF
  2. Added titanium backing plates
  3. Added brake ducting all the way to the splash shield
Summary

Feel free to add opinions but be prepared to defend yourself with facts.

<<YouTube link of my PDR for the hot-lap>>
Nice lap time!
My first time at his track and with MVP, loved the track, thought the event was well run, and met a lot of nice people.
I noticed in your video that you were running in Sport 1, curious as to why would not run in Race?
Wonder if maybe StabiliTrac is kicking in a little bit and adding heat to the brakes.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #21
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhreddT View Post
Nice lap time!
My first time at his track and with MVP, loved the track, thought the event was well run, and met a lot of nice people.
I noticed in your video that you were running in Sport 1, curious as to why would not run in Race?
Wonder if maybe StabiliTrac is kicking in a little bit and adding heat to the brakes.

Hey thanks for watching!

I was experimenting with trail-braking in some corners. I wanted the extra level of protection for my experiment.

I usually don't like the sideways-freedom that Race mode allows.
If GM, Chevy, and their engineers think i'm so sideways i'm going to spin... by all means STEP IN mr. traction control.

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #22
AND0

Drives: C5 Z06
I don't mean to sound like a downer, but I think that brake duct kit is probably insufficient. 2.5" ducts are pretty small and more Miata sized. The big heavy massively powerful cars like the Camaro are running at least 3" or even 4" ducts.

It may not sound like its much larger but even the 3" ducts have over 40% more cross sectional area over a 2.5"

4" has 2.5x more area.
AND0 is offline   Reply With Quote