Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #1
AJD

Drives: '19 Camaro 1LE 2.0 Turbo
What size tires are SS Camaros in FS running?

I just picked up a 2.0L 1LE and I need a set of autocross wheels and tires for DS.

Since the 2.0L 1LE has the same wheel size as the non-1LE SS (20"x8.5 - Front & 20"x9.5 - Rear) I'm wondering what the SS's running in FS are using.

I'm going to guess the hot setup is RE71s on 19" wheels. Just not sure about the width.
AJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
Hasti

Drives: 2017 Hot Red 2ss Auto adrenaline
275 front and 285 rear is what you should get on there, some run 265 frnt for better feel but for ultimate grip for the front the car car go 275
Hasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
slowclimb

Drives: 2018 1 SS
275 will fit on the stock front rim?
slowclimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:34 AM   #4
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
For autocross, it's pretty common for people to run tire and wheel combinations that by Tire & Rim Association standards are technically "out of spec".

At least autocross is run under controlled conditions where risks are minimized, not on public streets or with other traffic, and each "drive" is of very short duration. Plus, the max and min recommended wheel width guidelines are not hard pass-fail in nature, though you probably do give up a little from any longer-term safety margin.

Norm
Old 05-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
HawkeyeMike

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
I run 19" wheels, 265 in front 285 in rear. I don't think you can fit wider on the stock wheel width (which is required for F Street), and even if you could you would probably have a rounded profile that actually reduces your tire patch.
Chevy putting an 8.5" wheel on the front is becoming a disadvantage for us, the latest Mustang GT has a 9" front wheel.
HawkeyeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #6
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
honestly with the lighter weight of the 1LE i would go 265/275. or 275 square.

When I had my FS car i ran 275 square and in the final year i ran 275/285.

The turbo has a lot less weight up front, i think the 265 would be perfect balance of grip and turn in.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:29 AM   #7
slowclimb

What is the current Street class rules for wheels when it comes to width...can you run the widest stock wheel available from the manufacturer? Does this include 1lE rims on a SS in FS? Or is it the widest for the model, so SS could not run 1LE wheel dimensions
in FS?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #8
slowclimb

Found it:
13.4 WHEELS
Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:
A. It is the same width as standard and as installed it does not have an offset more than ±7.00 mm (±0.275”) from a standard wheel for the car.
The resultant change in track dimensions is allowed.
B. Wheel (rim) diameter may be increased or decreased 1” from the standard part. This change may be applied to the front, rear, or both axles.

So based on this I couldn't run a wheel with the same width as a 1LE rim, unless Chevy offered an option to run that width on a standard SS, which I don't believe they do.

To run a 1LE wheel I would have to do a model conversion, that would bump me out of FS anyway.

Right?
Old 05-16-2019, 02:48 PM   #9
Hasti

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
honestly with the lighter weight of the 1LE i would go 265/275. or 275 square.

When I had my FS car i ran 275 square and in the final year i ran 275/285.

The turbo has a lot less weight up front, i think the 265 would be perfect balance of grip and turn in.
I know neil and Finch really really like the 275 front setup, I drove that car at an event and it was super numb, but the frontend grip was amazing.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #10
Hasti

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowclimb View Post
Found it:
13.4 WHEELS
A. It is the same width as standard and as installed it does not have an offset more than ±7.00 mm (±0.275”) from a standard wheel for the car.
B. Wheel (rim) diameter may be increased or decreased 1” from the standard part. This change may be applied to the front, rear, or both axles.

So based on this I couldn't run a wheel with the same width as a 1LE rim, unless Chevy offered an option to run that width on a standard SS, which I don't believe they do.

To run a 1LE wheel I would have to do a model conversion, that would bump me out of FS anyway.

Right?
You pretty much run the wheels your car was delivered on. same widths, plus or minus one inch in height, so go 19s pretty much. If you go wider widths youll go into cam c. Model conversions are usually never done due to you have to change everything.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #11
HawkeyeMike

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowclimb View Post
Found it:
13.4 WHEELS

Right?
Correct...if you have an SS, you must run 8.5" wide front wheels. You cannot deviate from this and stay in FS. They can offset 7mm more than stock, but the width itself cannot change.

ApexIT talks above that he still ran 275s in the front on that width wheel...which I wouldn't have thought possible (or at least would fit so badly that the profile would be too round), but I wouldn't argue with him. I believe him to be the fastest FStreet Camaro driver in the country (even if he abandoned us this season and sold his car) so he knows his stuff.

Mike
HawkeyeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:49 AM   #12
slowclimb

Thanks for the replies
Old 05-20-2019, 08:50 PM   #13
trophy hunter

Drives: 2016 1SS - M6
AJD …. welcome aboard.
I might have some used F Stock configuration black CF5V's ForgeStars for sale shortly..... nice shape and not beat up. PM me if you have any interest and I'll keep you posted on my decision

…..considering selling the car and dropping the class (16 SS + ice mode = no bueno)
trophy hunter is offline   Reply With Quote