Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #2311
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Based on GM's history 530 hp would be a little high. They've typically bumped base Corvette hp by 25-50 each new gen. C4 300 hp (w/LT1), C5 350 hp, C6 400 hp but 430 hp by 2013, C7 455 hp (only a 25 hp increase over the '13), I'd expect C8 to come in around 480-500 based on that history. I'd be really impressed and a little bit surprised if the base C8 engine is 530 hp.

And yes that RE is sick looking.
We dont yet know if the LT2 is DOHC or similar to the LT1 architecture. We also do not it's size. It could be a 6.2L or a 5.5L DOHC or a 6.6L OHV engine. 530 isn't out of the realm of possibility considering the competition the C8 will be aimed at.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #2312
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Based on GM's history 530 hp would be a little high. They've typically bumped base Corvette hp by 25-50 each new gen. C4 300 hp (w/LT1), C5 350 hp, C6 400 hp but 430 hp by 2013, C7 455 hp (only a 25 hp increase over the '13), I'd expect C8 to come in around 480-500 based on that history. I'd be really impressed and a little bit surprised if the base C8 engine is 530 hp.

You may be right, and GM is typically predictable to an extent, but there has never been a mid-engine Vette so I am not sure previous Corvette's will have much influence on the C8.

GM is behind the ball on NA power offerings too, and while these cars dont compete with each other we all know the GT will be 480 in this Gen, then you have the Voodoo, Mopars big hemi(6.4?), etc. all making 480+

530 is just barely more than the current GT350 after all, it makes more sense to take a leap forward in power now than all other Vette generations.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:46 PM   #2313
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
We dont yet know if the LT2 is DOHC or similar to the LT1 architecture. We also do not it's size. It could be a 6.2L or a 5.5L DOHC or a 6.6L OHV engine. 530 isn't out of the realm of possibility considering the competition the C8 will be aimed at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
You may be right, and GM is typically predictable to an extent, but there has never been a mid-engine Vette so I am not sure previous Corvette's will have much influence on the C8.

GM is behind the ball on NA power offerings too, and while these cars dont compete with each other we all know the GT will be 480 in this Gen, then you have the Voodoo, Mopars big hemi(6.4?), etc. all making 480+

530 is just barely more than the current GT350 after all, it makes more sense to take a leap forward in power now than all other Vette generations.
To add, I think we can throw out the rule book on power jumps. GM has been a bit unconventional and unpredictable lately. Example...5th Gen ZL1 to 6th Gen ZL1 is a 70 HP difference...C6 Z06 to C7 Z06 is a 150-ish HP difference...C6 ZR1 to C7 ZR1 is a 124 HP difference...GM threw the A10 in the ZLE after saying they wouldn't AND initially saying the A10 would do nothing but make the ZLE slower...all these were moves that were not predicted. Of course they are the higher end models and involve forced induction. But I think we can see GM trying to shake things up a bit and keep the competition on it's toes. 530-ish HP would not be difficult for them considering the 5th Gen Z28 and C6 Z06 were 500+ years ago neither of them being DOHC engines either. They did have huge displacement. But I think we can safely assume 530 or more. GM is not the type to back track. Since the GT350 had 526 I think GM is gonna push at least 530.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:55 AM   #2314
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
I would assume that the LT2 will be an improved version of the LT1. Think LS1 to LS2 to LS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
To add, I think we can throw out the rule book on power jumps. GM has been a bit unconventional and unpredictable lately. Example...5th Gen ZL1 to 6th Gen ZL1 is a 70 HP difference...C6 Z06 to C7 Z06 is a 150-ish HP difference...C6 ZR1 to C7 ZR1 is a 124 HP difference...GM threw the A10 in the ZLE after saying they wouldn't AND initially saying the A10 would do nothing but make the ZLE slower...all these were moves that were not predicted. Of course they are the higher end models and involve forced induction. But I think we can see GM trying to shake things up a bit and keep the competition on it's toes. 530-ish HP would not be difficult for them considering the 5th Gen Z28 and C6 Z06 were 500+ years ago neither of them being DOHC engines either. They did have huge displacement. But I think we can safely assume 530 or more. GM is not the type to back track. Since the GT350 had 526 I think GM is gonna push at least 530.
True. I would think 530 might be the limit because of emissions and what not. Just don't see many engines over 500HP that don't have a power adder of some kind for that reason.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #2315
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
All the rumors I have seen are that the first engine in the C8 will be a reworked LT1 to make over 500 HP, not a new DOHC engine. How much over, I haven't heard. I am assuming it will be called the LT2. This is very believable.

Then next rumored engine after the assumed LT2, will be a 5.5L DOHC engine with a flat plane crank putting out over 600HP with a 9,000RPM redline. This, in my opinion, is less believable, but still a posibilty. The part I doubt is the flat plane crank with 9,000RPM redline. That's a bit large of a displacement for a FPC engine. It's been said 5.0 is about the limit for FPC because of vibration issues. Look how much trouble Ford is having with the Voodoo at 5.2. This could be done, but it will be tricky.

The next rumored engine is the same 5.5L FPC engine with a twin-turbo setup for over 800HP. This makes sense if they can manage the 5.5L N/A FPC engine.

Then, finally it's rumored that two electric motors will drive the front wheels for a total of over 1,000HP AWD. Crazy, but possible...
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #2316
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
All the rumors I have seen are that the first engine in the C8 will be a reworked LT1 to make over 500 HP, not a new DOHC engine. How much over, I haven't heard. I am assuming it will be called the LT2. This is very believable.

Then next rumored engine after the assumed LT2, will be a 5.5L DOHC engine with a flat plane crank putting out over 600HP with a 9,000RPM redline. This, in my opinion, is less believable, but still a posibilty. The part I doubt is the flat plane crank with 9,000RPM redline. That's a bit large of a displacement for a FPC engine. It's been said 5.0 is about the limit for FPC because of vibration issues. Look how much trouble Ford is having with the Voodoo at 5.2. This could be done, but it will be tricky.

The next rumored engine is the same 5.5L FPC engine with a twin-turbo setup for over 800HP. This makes sense if they can manage the 5.5L N/A FPC engine.

Then, finally it's rumored that two electric motors will drive the front wheels for a total of over 1,000HP AWD. Crazy, but possible...
I know those are just rumors, I just can't see the first one with the FPC making over 600. Like you said look at all the trouble Ford has with the VooDoo, I don't think just because its GM they can make a bigger more powerful, higher revving version and not have the same issues.

I don't see them going FPC at all actually, especially at that displacement. If they do do FPC I would believe they would go smaller displacement like Ferrari
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 05-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #2317
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post

LT2 with be a revised LT1 and traditional Cam-In-Block V8. Already confirmed the RPO.

The DOHC, TT V8 has had the CAD drawings already released, verifying identical architecture to the Caddy 4.2 DOHC Hot-V, TT V8...the difference being the low, side-mounted turbos instead of the Hot-V setup (for obvious reasons, as the ME C8 has different layout options than the CT6 FE). Displacement is anyone's guess. 5.5l has been floating around a long time due to the current IMSA C7.R and the 5.5l they are using. This DOHC TT V8 version is also rumored to be a hybrid powertrain with electric assist motors pushing the total output north of 900hp.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #2318
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I know those are just rumors, I just can't see the first one with the FPC making over 600. Like you said look at all the trouble Ford has with the VooDoo, I don't think just because its GM they can make a bigger more powerful, higher revving version and not have the same issues.

I don't see them going FPC at all actually, especially at that displacement. If they do do FPC I would believe they would go smaller displacement like Ferrari
Well, it is second order vibration that limits the FPC design. However, both inline 4 cylinder and any v-6 configuration also have large second order vibrations, but they are counterbalanced by a vibration shaft. I'm not really sure if a balance shaft could be used, but my guess is yes, but that may add back too much mass to the rotating assembly, taking away one of the primary benifits of a FPC design.

IF GM could find a way to help counterbalance the second order vibrations without adding too much mass into the rotating assembly, then anything is possible.

It must also be noted the the "limit" for minimal NVH in a I4 enging is 2.0L. There are plenty of I4's that are larger than 2.0L, so we have to take the limit as a fuzzy line, not a fine line...
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #2319
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
The LT2 will be a hotter version of the current LT1, same exact architecture. 500 plus horses
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:16 PM   #2320
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Looks like the C6 Camaro/Mustang Wars are finally over...for now...
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:10 PM   #2321
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
The cadillac CT5-V is going to be revealed in two weeks and still there isn't any info about the final numbers of the GT500...
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #2322
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Some of us are behind on our 'rumored' knowledge on the LT2 and what is going into the 'Z06' version of the ME C8. Take a jot over to the corvette forums and find all the info you need to realize what is already being designed and tested for the C8. The LT2 will eventually be in the Camaro SS. If the 5.5l TT ends up in a Camaro, it will best the ZL1 unless they do some weird $hit and put the 5.5 in the Z28 and put the ZR1 LT5 engine in the ZL1. Lots of powertrain possibilities out there because GM has been in full-development mode for 7 years with two separate teams being given the green light by the executive branch. If ford is successful in putting a SC on the 5.2 voodoo, I don't doubt that motor will be king shiznowski for it's clientele. That sound alone will be all it takes for the upper middle-classmen to plop down $100K to own.

All the while, GM be will lying-in-wait to drop the 5.5 TT on the world in a full carbon ME design that will kill everything in sight - and it won't even need 700HP to do it.

It's damn nice to have silly-ass options like this to start saving for.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #2323
shaffe

Ford started teasing the HP figures on twitter with puzzle pieces
Old 06-18-2019, 10:05 AM   #2324
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Ford started teasing the HP figures on twitter with puzzle pieces
Be sure to let us know when they are done screwing around. The worlds slowest, most drawn out release has gotten old.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote