Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-02-2018, 07:10 AM   #85
Doin It For Dale

Drives: Bald Eagle,
Are we seriously arguing this much over a couple of tenths of a second out of a dozen seconds of driving in a straight line? lol
Doin It For Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:11 AM   #86
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doin It For Dale View Post
Are we seriously arguing this much over a couple of tenths of a second out of a dozen seconds of driving in a straight line? lol
Yep.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #87
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Pretty sure this began in 1967 and has never stopped
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:39 AM   #88
Doin It For Dale

Drives: Bald Eagle,
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Pretty sure this began in 1967 and has never stopped
good point, but back then they'd settle arguments about drag racing by drag racing lol
Doin It For Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #89
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
good point, but back then they'd settle arguments about drag racing by drag racing lol
The best way - but also local law enforcement was a little easier on the criminal charges for such non-sanctioned events
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:01 PM   #90
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Almost seems silly when you put it that way.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #91
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Well this is a sport. And just like any sport, whoever comes out ahead is the winner. You can win a basketball, football, baseball, soccer game by 1 point after playing for hours. So yes, a couple tenths out of a dozen seconds does matter. I'd rather be on the side that is a couple tenths ahead. But I can't speak for everybody (ahem Shelby owners)...

In all realness, 1-2 tenths is a driver's race. More than that and you'd likely need to be a good driver against a not soo good driver to win. As a sole performance detail it matters but it isn't drastic. However when you count everything involved with these cars that 2 tenths can seem like a full second. For the entire 6th Generation the Mustang has lagged behind the Camaro by a large margin in everything performance related. Almost to the point that you couldn't really compare the two cars fairly. Now the Stang has caught up and it is a driver's race with the PP2 on a track and with the GT in a straight line provided you option it properly. So at this point 1-2 tenths is not a big deal. But if the GT was getting it's butt dusted everywhere and then came up 1 tenth short in a straight line then you could bet your ass it would be a big deal.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:51 PM   #92
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I bought a 2008 Mustang Bullitt and took awesome care of it. Traded it for a Corvette when I got beat at the drag strip by a Chevy Cobalt. Funny thing, the dealership I bought the Bullitt still sends me flyers announcing "good news, Jerry, we will give you $5800 for your 2008 Mustang in trade for a new Mustang GT". So much for the collectability of a Bullitt! However, my Mustang Bullitt drew plenty of drooling eyes at car shows and I won a first place trophy with it at a prominent car show in Nashville. It it hadn't been so slow, I might have kept it, partly because the movie Bullitt was and still is my favorite. With 480 HP, I think the 2019 Bullitt would probably beat the Camaro at the drag strip. That's my 2 cents!

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:30 AM   #93
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Outside of price, these two cars don't really warrant comparison.

As was previously suggested, go test drive a PP1 and a 1LE and you will quickly realize they are on two completely different levels. The minor power bump in the Bullit compared to a PP1 won't make or break your decision either.

I do think, FWIW, the Bullit will retain better value. 1LE's are already going mid to low $30K's used and something about these special edition Ford's hold pretty good value. People like the pedigree I suppose.

I do not, I do not like the color or the chrome and think you are paying a mark-up for nothing special. The Bullit is for the Steve McQueen guys.

Plus, the MT82 is total trash compared to the Tremec in the 1LE.

Good luck in your decision OP. Going to be tough without test driving a 1LE. Even test driving an SS if you haven't will help as even that will handle better than the Bullit(PP1).
While I agree that on track, there is no comparison between a PP1 and a 1LE, on back roads where you're not hitting 8/10ths, most people wont be able to tell the difference.

Straight line performance is a wash.

The biggest difference will be the low end torque of the LT1 and like you said the Tremec. MT82 is very hit and miss.

OP, I was in the same boat as you, except I was looking at PP1 GTs vs 1LE. Objectively, the 1LE stops better, handles better, and will own on a race track. Regardless of what magazines and other people say, only you will be able to decide what you will like better. After test driving multiple Camaros, both standard SS models and a 1LE, I still ended up with a PP1 GT and I drove across 5 states to get it, and I could not be happier. Both cars are great, you need to drive both.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:27 AM   #94
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
While I agree that on track, there is no comparison between a PP1 and a 1LE, on back roads where you're not hitting 8/10ths, most people wont be able to tell the difference.

The biggest difference will be the low end torque of the LT1 and like you said the Tremec. MT82 is very hit and miss.

OP, I was in the same boat as you, except I was looking at PP1 GTs vs 1LE. Objectively, the 1LE stops better, handles better, and will own on a race track. Regardless of what magazines and other people say, only you will be able to decide what you will like better. After test driving multiple Camaros, both standard SS models and a 1LE, I still ended up with a PP1 GT and I drove across 5 states to get it, and I could not be happier. Both cars are great, you need to drive both.
Highlighted for emphasis. Camaro6 and Mustang6 both seem to ignore this at times.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 02-05-2019, 06:29 AM   #95
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post

According C&D, the manual Camaro is considerably faster (12.2) than the manual Mustang GT (12.6) ...or Bullitt (12.4) and the difference at the low end is notable.

I agree that in A10 form, they are a wash with the advantage going to the Mustang if it’s optioned right.
Quote:
The Bullitt is a driver’s car, but you’ll need to wring it out to know the full depth of its capability. Catch it a gear too high, below 4000 rpm or so, and this engine can feel soft. This isn’t a Chevrolet Camaro SS, which impresses with huge grunt at low engine speeds and feels powerful everywhere. No, the latest Coyote delivers more peak power than the Camaro SS, but it doesn’t satisfy completely until it’s fully unwound
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-drive-review

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...al-test-review

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:18 PM   #96
End User

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE, 2012 GLI M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_ST View Post
No one knows what the future holds. I just want to enjoy the vehicle I bought and I hope that the LT1 remains durable and reliable!
I’m really pissed off at Ford. I love the GT350/R. Unfortunately every other Mustang is a pile of poo (including PP2). The Bullitt is just an awful performance car.
End User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #97
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

My company has a Bullitt in the press fleet this week, so I had the opportunity to spend some quality time in the driver’s seat. First, you need to know that I am VERY partial to “special edition” models. I’ve owned two Mustang Indy Pace Cars and currently own a Camaro Fifty Convertible. I get the whole limited edition / special edition thing.

It’s been a while since I’ve driven a base S550 GT, so hard for me to compare the two. I found the Bullitt to have a much more comfortable ride than my car. Launching the Bullitt was a little more frustrating than I thought it should be, mainly due to the clutch. Even though my car is an 8AT (by choice, not need) I do get more than my share of time in MT cars, so I’m not gonna concede that this is a driver mod issue. The clutch “grab” was not gradual in this car. It was sort of “wait for it....wait for it....wait for it...BANG”. This is a press car, so no telling how many people have misused the clutch.

Once I got things moving, I found gears 1 - 4 to be really well matched. I had to look up the ratios for 5 and 6 because they both feel like overdrive. They are. But so are 5th and 6th in Camaro. In fact, 5th and 6th in Camaro are even deeper overdrive, but I never really felt like the engine was napping in 6MT SS like I did in 6MT Bullitt. It got to the point where driving around town, I just didn’t come out of 4th. Fourth felt great. Fifth felt like “ok sonny, you just calm yourself down now”. Fine on the freeway, but felt too bogged down on boulevards with 50 mph speed limits, which of course means driving right around 58 - 62 mph.

Loved the exhaust. Great sound. We get a GT-350 in a couple weeks and I get two days with that, but until then, this is tied with a Mercedes AMG C53 I had last week for best exhaust sound. Not bad company.

Overall, pretty nice car. More of a looker / cruiser than a performance beast. The performance is in there, but you have to work to get at it and you have to forget how to count past four. There is a thread on M6G where the OP is concerned that he can’t get out of the 13s in his Bullitt. He drove it at Milan. Same strip I drive at. My last time at Milan I got 12.68, 12.79, 12.80, and 12.86. All but the 12.68 had $#!tty 60’ times. I can see how the one I drove would be hard pressed to break 13s. But, again, this one is a press car and probably not in top drag strip form.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2019, 11:39 AM   #98
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Once I got things moving, I found gears 1 - 4 to be really well matched. I had to look up the ratios for 5 and 6 because they both feel like overdrive. They are. But so are 5th and 6th in Camaro. In fact, 5th and 6th in Camaro are even deeper overdrive, but I never really felt like the engine was napping in 6MT SS like I did in 6MT Bullitt. It got to the point where driving around town, I just didn’t come out of 4th. Fourth felt great. Fifth felt like “ok sonny, you just calm yourself down now”. Fine on the freeway, but felt too bogged down on boulevards with 50 mph speed limits, which of course means driving right around 58 - 62 mph.
Great write up.
Although I had a base '19 GT M6 and I think the Bullitt has shorter gears. And my base GT 5th and 6th didn't feel as tall as the Camaro's 5th and 6th. In fact 5th was fine for the street. In the Camaro those gears felt even taller. Ultimately why I went A10 really. I don't know. Maybe it's just me. But yeah the Bullitt is one expensive ride. I certainly wouldn't take it over my 1SS, no sir.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote