Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
Jinkz

Drives: Black 2017 ZL1
Aftermarket head unit

Spent an ungodly amount of money on a sound system trying to keep the factory head unit. But too many problems. Has anyone done an aftermarket head unit. Is your sport and track modes still usable with one. Thanks need help of any sort
Jinkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
What kind of problems are you having? My aftermarket system works perfect, no problems at all. Did you use the M650-GM?

Also, you will never get an aftermarket head unit to work in our cars. Not gonna happen. You can add one as a slave, custom fabricate it into the dash next to the OEM one, use the external inputs on a sound processor like the H8 or Bitone, but no aftermarket head until will replace these OEM units. Those days are becoming a distant memory regarding new cars
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #3
Warsteiner

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2LT RS Vert
I don't think I agree with you on that. There are already wiring harnesses available from Metra for putting in an aftermarket stereo. It is just a matter of time before they come out with a dash kit for them. The car has only been out for 3 years and it took at least that to get the kits for the gen 5. Also the gen 5 had just as much integration with the car as the new ones do.

That being said I do not think there are any dash kits out right now so it may not be possible to put in an aftermarket without something custom. With the gen 5 those kits were quite expensive too. They basically moved all of the car controls and settings to a sub screen to allow for all features to remain in tact with the after market stereo. They also did not look very appealing in my opinion.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #4
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsteiner View Post
I don't think I agree with you on that. There are already wiring harnesses available from Metra for putting in an aftermarket stereo. It is just a matter of time before they come out with a dash kit for them. The car has only been out for 3 years and it took at least that to get the kits for the gen 5. Also the gen 5 had just as much integration with the car as the new ones do.

That being said I do not think there are any dash kits out right now so it may not be possible to put in an aftermarket without something custom. With the gen 5 those kits were quite expensive too. They basically moved all of the car controls and settings to a sub screen to allow for all features to remain in tact with the after market stereo. They also did not look very appealing in my opinion.
You are ignoring one major problem, there isn't room behind the factory piece to allow a DIN or DoubleDIN sized radio. One would need to find a unique way to install one in an alternate location (possibly in the center console). Then what would the point be? Once you factor in the kit, all the wiring required and relocation would it really be worth it? I guess you could always cut into the dash but what else is routed through there? This is one of the first radios from the factory I actually like. The sound, well its decent.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:

It's not a question of agreeing with him - the dashboard is solid behind the touchscreen. There is no possibility of installing an aftermarket head unit in any Camaro. There's just enough room for about the 2" depth of the touchscreen and the harness, then the dash is molded in one solid piece of plastic. And then right behind that is the steel cross brace.

The gen 5 had SOME integration, but not nearly the amount that the 6th gen does. Also, the base stereo in the 5th gen LS V6 was simply a standard CD head unit without any integration. So the dashboard on all trims could accept an aftermarket head unit. That's not the case on the 6th gen.

Your only option for aftermarket is to use the M650-GM integration module and run your aftermarket amps and speakers from that. Or, what people have been doing until the 650 came out, is splitting their factory wiring at the Bose amp in the trunk to their aftermarket amps.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #6
drfeelgood

Quote:

No sir, not going to happen. Me and my custom guy (one of the best in Los Angeles) have been through this up and down. As others have stated, there is simply no room. As I mentioned, you can add slave system parallel, that utilizes a touch screen for controls, and then send that signal to a sound processor

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cemi...830009036.html

take something like this, fabricate a parallel bracket next to the OEM one, run this as the slave. Now you have CD and DVD playback capability. This is likely your only options, I don't see an aftermarket option coming out for the 6th gen
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

Old 06-07-2018, 12:58 PM   #7
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
No sir, not going to happen. Me and my custom guy (one of the best in Los Angeles) have been through this up and down. As others have stated, there is simply no room. As I mentioned, you can add slave system parallel, that utilizes a touch screen for controls, and then send that signal to a sound processor

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cemi...830009036.html

take something like this, fabricate a parallel bracket next to the OEM one, run this as the slave. Now you have CD and DVD playback capability. This is likely your only options, I don't see an aftermarket option coming out for the 6th gen
It would be great if you could get this to integrate into the MyLink system as the main touchscreen and replace the factory touchscreen all together, for those of us who still like our CDs..... I've gone so far as to dig out my 23 year old portable CD player from college and connect it to the USB port using an audio headphone to USB converter cable.

I have a lot of them on my iPhone but I don't have the time to load every single disc on. I probably have 500 CDs
Old 06-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #8
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
It would be great if you could get this to integrate into the MyLink system as the main touchscreen and replace the factory touchscreen all together, for those of us who still like our CDs..... I've gone so far as to dig out my 23 year old portable CD player from college and connect it to the USB port using an audio headphone to USB converter cable.

I have a lot of them on my iPhone but I don't have the time to load every single disc on. I probably have 500 CDs
Yes, CD is still superior to even 320bps MP3, people don't seem to understand that. I have a FLAC player in my car, so I can listen to uncompressed digital files , but yes

Old 06-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #9
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I think it's only a matter of time that these car audio companies go out of business. No one buys single or double din stereos anymore.
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:03 PM   #10
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
I think it's only a matter of time that these car audio companies go out of business. No one buys single or double din stereos anymore.
They simply don't fit and can't work on modern cars. They'll be around as long as young kids can't afford newer cars but in 10 years time, when even a cheap 15 year old car has no provision for DIN, DIN & 1/2, and double DIN head units, even home made custom jobs, they won't be able to sell them.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #11
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
Not sure which car audio companies you mean. The suppliers like Metra and schoshe? Or the custom audio shops?

Old 06-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #12
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
Not sure which car audio companies you mean. The suppliers like Metra and schoshe? Or the custom audio shops?
I think he means Alpine, Pioneer, Clarion, etc..... they might not exactly go out of business since they make aftermarket amps which will probably still be in demand (Pioneer is in home electronics as well so they'll be fine), but they may end head unit production.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:24 PM   #13
drfeelgood

Quote:
I think he means Alpine, Pioneer, Clarion, etc..... they might not exactly go out of business since they make aftermarket amps which will probably still be in demand (Pioneer is in home electronics as well so they'll be fine), but they may end head unit production.
oh yeah for sure, headunit production will likely end... unless they partner with the automobile industry and start building compatible replacements, or actually start building the OEM integrated headunits themselves, with options for aftermarket upgrades.

Its about evolution!

Old 06-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #14
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Yeah that's what I meant. I think even amplifier sales have gone down substantially. It's not as easy to hook up an amp in a modern car. Before you'd buy a new head unit and just run the RCAs. Not you can't replace the head unit and most cars have an amp in the trunk and some use fiber optics. It's not as simple as it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote