Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-03-2020, 06:49 PM   #1
bowtie_thunder
Camaro Connoisseur

Drives: Red 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Mamo Motorsports Ported 87mm Throttle Body

I recently got a chance to check out Tony Mamo's ported TB on my Camaro, and I have to say, I'm all smiles—no throttle lag, higher responsiveness and absolutely no dead spot in sight.

I would like to personally thank Tony and his team for allowing me this opportunity, and I will be following up with a tune and other upgrades (e85, ProCharger, Rotofab air filter, etc) when I get a chance.

Check out the action here:

https://youtu.be/4ElX5ZjBHks?t=412

Current: 2020 2SS Camaro, A10, Non-MRC

JLP Axlebacks | American Authority Fuel Door | K&N Performance Air Filter| iKON Motorsports Rear Valance

bowtie_thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
MSU120

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Very nice. Looks like a quality piece.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT—605rwhp, SOLD
MSU120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #3
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
How long did it take you to get it from him once you ordered it? I ordered mine several weeks ago, still waiting on it to get ported and shipped out. End of this week will be 2 weeks since I placed the order. Wanting to get the car up and going and make some events we had planned.

I am hoping my experience is the same as yours. I tried another companies TB out and with my Procharger D1SC I had issues with surging and bucking. Even after they sent me a customer ported TB I still had the same issues so I went with the Mamo V2 as it was highly recommended.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:06 AM   #4
OB0001
2018 SS A8 11.85@117.06

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS A8 "Dark Knight"
I love my Soler Performance TB great communication, quality and service and plenty of hard data (facts) to back up the proformance .
Old 08-05-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
From what I've read it seems like Soler and Mamo make the best throttle bodies for our cars. Most attention to detail and whatnot
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:50 AM   #6
OB0001
2018 SS A8 11.85@117.06

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
From what I've read it seems like Soler and Mamo make the best throttle bodies for our cars. Most attention to detail and whatnot
Old 08-05-2020, 04:36 PM   #7
bowtie_thunder
Camaro Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
How long did it take you to get it from him once you ordered it? I ordered mine several weeks ago, still waiting on it to get ported and shipped out. End of this week will be 2 weeks since I placed the order. Wanting to get the car up and going and make some events we had planned.

I am hoping my experience is the same as yours. I tried another companies TB out and with my Procharger D1SC I had issues with surging and bucking. Even after they sent me a customer ported TB I still had the same issues so I went with the Mamo V2 as it was highly recommended.
I got mine at least a couple of days (but I live about 40+ miles away from the shop in Southern California, so that may be why I got it quicker).

I am curious to know how it responds to boost as well, as I've heard of surge issues with other people using turbos. That being said, have you run any other tunes thereafter? Perhaps a tuner can adjust the values on the tables and throttle mapping to help smooth it out.

JLP Axlebacks | American Authority Fuel Door | K&N Performance Air Filter| iKON Motorsports Rear Valance

Old 08-05-2020, 04:41 PM   #8
bowtie_thunder
Camaro Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB0001 View Post
I love my Soler Performance TB great communication, quality and service and plenty of hard data (facts) to back up the proformance .
Have you tuned your transmission at all with the Soler? I want to with the V2 Mamo TB because as great as this piece is, the 8L90 (of course) still jumps around the gears like a kangaroo in heat and I nearly forgot about that in my review.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:11 PM   #9
appleman22

Drives: 2017 1ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB0001 View Post
That’s great but this thread isn’t about soler. So thanks anyway
appleman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:14 AM   #10
OB0001
2018 SS A8 11.85@117.06

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleman22 View Post
That’s great but this thread isn’t about soler. So thanks anyway
No problem always glad to help
Old 08-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #11
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie_thunder View Post
I got mine at least a couple of days (but I live about 40+ miles away from the shop in Southern California, so that may be why I got it quicker).

I am curious to know how it responds to boost as well, as I've heard of surge issues with other people using turbos. That being said, have you run any other tunes thereafter? Perhaps a tuner can adjust the values on the tables and throttle mapping to help smooth it out.

Well as of now it doesnt seem I will get my Mamo V2 this week, still havent hear anything and even if it was shipped out today it wouldnt get here til next week. So going on week 3 of the car being down and starting to get a little frustrated.

As far as the bucking/surging. I never had a issue with it on the Pray ported TB as it was the one the car was tuned on. That TB died on me, replaced it with a stock one I had that was from the bad batch of the 2017 TB and it made it a month before it died. I tried 2 different Soler TB but they all bucked and surged badly, with that Mike was nothing more than professional in trying to help out and ultimately refunding and paying for the shipping to return the TB.

I am going to see how the Mamo V2 goes once I get it. I asked the tuner about trying to clean the tune up and they are willing but I am sure it will be at a cost which I totally understand. The tuner offered me a ported 95mm ZR1 TB but that means I will have to figure out a solution to the inlet charge pipe from Procharger since it wont fit on the 95mm TB. As of now Procharger wants $650 for their race inlet charge pipe kit. A local performance shop has quoted me $250 to make me a custom one that will work.

I am going to hold off on the 95mm TB at this point until the ported LT2 intakes hit the market as a bolt in kit, then install the 95mm TB and a ported LT2 IM and then go for a retune.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #12
bowtie_thunder
Camaro Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Well as of now it doesnt seem I will get my Mamo V2 this week, still havent hear anything and even if it was shipped out today it wouldnt get here til next week. So going on week 3 of the car being down and starting to get a little frustrated.

As far as the bucking/surging. I never had a issue with it on the Pray ported TB as it was the one the car was tuned on. That TB died on me, replaced it with a stock one I had that was from the bad batch of the 2017 TB and it made it a month before it died. I tried 2 different Soler TB but they all bucked and surged badly, with that Mike was nothing more than professional in trying to help out and ultimately refunding and paying for the shipping to return the TB.

I am going to see how the Mamo V2 goes once I get it. I asked the tuner about trying to clean the tune up and they are willing but I am sure it will be at a cost which I totally understand. The tuner offered me a ported 95mm ZR1 TB but that means I will have to figure out a solution to the inlet charge pipe from Procharger since it wont fit on the 95mm TB. As of now Procharger wants $650 for their race inlet charge pipe kit. A local performance shop has quoted me $250 to make me a custom one that will work.

I am going to hold off on the 95mm TB at this point until the ported LT2 intakes hit the market as a bolt in kit, then install the 95mm TB and a ported LT2 IM and then go for a retune.
Not sure about the LT2 IMs being an aftermarket option anytime soon. The way Mike Kociba, assistant head engineer at GM, explained it, the LT2 is very purpose-built—as well as the components. Kociba mentioned the only parts that are real carryovers (i.e. compatibility with LT1s) were the cylinder heads (some very slight adjustments), compression and the TB (which is amusingly also a canned 87mm).

The LT2 IM is very tall, and would likely not clear the hood of the sixth-gen. At some point, they had a C7 test mule with the LT2 but had to create a giant hole in the hood to accommodate the top of the engine.

Old 08-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #13
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie_thunder View Post
Not sure about the LT2 IMs being an aftermarket option anytime soon. The way Mike Kociba, assistant head engineer at GM, explained it, the LT2 is very purpose-built—as well as the components. Kociba mentioned the only parts that are real carryovers (i.e. compatibility with LT1s) were the cylinder heads (some very slight adjustments), compression and the TB (which is amusingly also a canned 87mm).

The LT2 IM is very tall, and would likely not clear the hood of the sixth-gen. At some point, they had a C7 test mule with the LT2 but had to create a giant hole in the hood to accommodate the top of the engine.
People are already doing it. And it's making more horsepower than the MSD. And it's $185 versus $1000

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=579354
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #14
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Which one has the edge?
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote