Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-02-2019, 08:41 AM   #15
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Pretty sure fleet sales account for a lot of Chrysler and Ford sales. There are a LOT of rental Challengers and Mustangs.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #16
Gadsden

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
I got $7k in rebates off of my '19 1SS, which only makes 455hp, so isn't that a better deal?
Gadsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:49 AM   #17
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Clever marketing sale by Dodge
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:51 AM   #18
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbsnflows View Post
So to be clear - you guys want GM to drastically reduce the cost of new Camaro's, so that indirectly the (resale) value of your current Camaro is also drastically reduced?

I'm in the opposite camp - every time I see these massive rebates on Camaros, I cringe. While I fully recognize that automobiles are a depreciating asset, I'm certainly not going to wish for the depreciation to be artificially accelerated.
Get ready. I was at a chevy dealer for the last model year getting a different car, and the manager was telling me he couldnt pay people to buy ZL1 camaros. They had a white one on the floor that was discounted like 26% off sticker, and he said he would do more just to get it out of the showroom. He also said that it would be the last ZL1 he ordered for the dealership. Crazy nobody is buying camaros. If not for the rental car companies, the camaro would be dead.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:11 AM   #19
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
95 imp, I was referring to the highly optioned Hellcats as most are on the lots in my reply! Most of them sticker out at around 74 to 75 grand because of all the options the dealers order on them!
Old 08-02-2019, 09:20 AM   #20
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Just announced: The Charger Hemi and Challenger SRT Hellcat are the two vehicles most likely to be stolen, according to the Highway Loss Data Institute.

The Camaro isn’t popular enough to even make that list...
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #21
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
Chevy still gives you the best deal and their small block is astronomical..GM is the only company I know that sells you the car top price on the first year(early adopters) then starting Jan/Feb of next year they provide gm employee discounts to almost everybody on top of rebates out of this world which includes trade in/already owning a gm vehicle and etc. Prime example..$50k Camaro SS MSRP goes for 31k-34k with ease.. 60K Corvette Stingray MSRP goes for 45k.. The only thing that I like what Dodge is doing is their Infotainment System I think it pretty cool showing the chassis and stuff.

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:21 AM   #22
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
If a chevy dealer wants to sell me a ZL1 for the price I bought my LT1 (mid 35k after taxes ) then let me know, I'll help move that off their lot

Most of the public has no option for purchasing 60k dollar cars. Those that do, tend to want something that impresses other people with money (or at least fits their whole family in it). The camaro has a legacy deeply rooted in poor people culture...not to even mention the look of it is not classy and it doesn't grab the currently in-style retro look either.

But meh. I like that it's not popular and how it's become marginalized. It's a little amusing having every kid think it's an exotic sports car like a lambo. Which i've had happen a bunch of times ....being in an area that I can literally see more lambos in a day on most days than 6th gens ...still - 3 years in.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #23
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
95 imp, I was referring to the highly optioned Hellcats as most are on the lots in my reply! Most of them sticker out at around 74 to 75 grand because of all the options the dealers order on them!
75k- 8k = 67K. (ish) MSRP on a Zl1 is... 67K (ish). Exactly why Dodge did it.

I'm not trying to bust balls. I'm just saying... it's a great deal and a novel marketing idea to get people to pay attention to their brand and their HP numbers. and it's working I'm betting the majority sold are 6 cyl "snailcats" (which still get a rebate based on hp). This is the reason they are in the #2 spot for sales. They are hustling.

GM doesn't advertise at all. Some of the Honda humpers could be lured into Camaro (or pony car) performance. I think a lot of the problem is most of the new generation only know what their parents told them. Japanese= good, American=bad. Hondas are cheaper to boot.

GM doesn't advertise, instead relying on the legend/reputation. iHell, even the "conquest rebate", which, IMO, is straight from lamerville. (both the name and lack of advertising) is aimed at current pony car owners. Very short sighted if you want to grow a market. Because, face it, the sales numbers (from ALL manufacturers combined) show we are a dying breed.

Chevrolet sold 272,631 in 1978, 282,571 Camaros in 1979. (peak year) and 152k in 1980. What are the 6 gen combined sales at? Go ahead and throw in all the 5 gen with it and compare. Then, think about the fact that this is GM's ONLY pony car offering now and sales aren't split with Pontiac.

In another thread, people are laughing at the expectation the 2020 will hit 85k units.

Sorry to rant, but I think that Chevy is getting out of the Camaro what they are putting into it. Part of that is the public sentiment and part of it is them.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #24
LT4Greg

Yeah I understand what you’re saying! No big deal!
Old 08-02-2019, 12:50 PM   #25
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Say what you will, but here in the Raleigh area of NC, I have been seeing a lot of the ugly 2019 models on the roads lately.

Way more than the first 3 years of the Gen 6. In the nearly year and a half I have owned my 2018 ZL1, I have seen 2 other ZL1 on the road in this area... 2...

And in the past 6 months, I have only seen 1 other than my own. I see maybe 7 other 2016 to 2018 camaros on the road. Then, in the past 5 months, I have started to see close to 15 of the new nose 2019 on the road.

That is a significant bump. So, while us purists didn't like the new front end... It seems to be selling better than the first design of the gen 6.

No idea why...
Old 08-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #26
LT4Greg

Probably SteveV of the new look of the ‘19s. I like the redesign too but the 2020 looks much better as compared to the 2019. One thing that is good, they haven’t done a redesign on the front of our ZL1s! Not yet anyway!
Old 08-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #27
302Blue

Drives: 2017 Camaro V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_S View Post
Sales have nothing to do with reliability, smarty pants. if that was the case Ferrari, Mclaren, & Lambo, also Maserati would be out of business.

also
sarcasm does not go over well here ya overly emotional guys. man....
So you have a point, luxury products and in some part sports cars don't sell on reliability, any economics class would tell you that they don't follow the same rules as they're passion purchases. And obviously your original comment was supposed to be a sarcastic joke that somehow got taken seriously, but if you're going to argue about reliability your source should at least be reliable too so two things real quick:

1) JD Power is a marketing firm. There is no such thing as objectivity if they're selling their services. In that example Lexus is at the top but generally speaking a company's normal cars can have better reliability than their luxury ones as luxury cars have more cutting-edge bells and whistles on them that can go wrong over time. I'm not actually saying Lexus isn't the most reliable, they could easily just test and engineer well enough to ensure those things never go wrong, but I find the gap between Toyota and Lexus suspicious. Like you said, people don't care as much about reliability on luxury goods so shouldn't Toyota (where people would care more) at least be right behind, if not equal to, Lexus? And Kia, Hyundai, Infiniti, Nissan, BMW, Chevy, & Lincoln are all above Honda? Believing that for a second, it shouldn't be so simple to call the BMW more dependable if a BMW repair is in the thousands and the same Honda repair is a couple hundred bucks max. That's a bit misleading. Point is, JD Power could easily be a Yelp-type fishiness where if a company doesn't pay them for "marketing" then they just so happen to end up lower on these "independent" studies. Even so, I'd have no way of actually checking any of this here because there's no time range specified and this ranking would obviously fluctuate over different periods.

2) That chart itself has a blatant issue imo: "Problems per 100" That either implies a sample size of 100 which is obviously horrible and would cause immense variation depending on which 100 cars are surveyed. Or it's just a bad way to show the measure of data since it should never be per vehicle or per 100, but overall as a brand. Out of let's say two groups of ten cars, which group would you rather buy from - Group A) where a lemon car went in for different problems 8 times vs. Group B) where 7 cars went in for the same problem? Because in this rating system, the Group with the lemon would be less reliable overall, even if all the other 9 cars were perfect. Now, I'm no expert in statistics, but a more accurate measurement would need to be spread out over a brand's line-up. It would also account for re-occurring/popular issues, not simply how many issues occur per car. Maybe they did actually measure it that way for this study, but judging by this chart I would highly doubt it.

Yeah, I just got a pet peeve about crappy sources, even when you're right. Especially in today's world.

Last edited by 302Blue; 08-02-2019 at 02:56 PM.
302Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:57 PM   #28
Squatch
Camaro pilot

Drives: 69 Camaro, 2014 ZL1
Part of the reason Camaro sales tank is the naming...
I drive a ZL1, non car guys see this and think, oh you drive a Camaro, you should of gotten a Hellcat!...I ask if they know how much HP mine has, they don't, then how much HP a hellcat has...they don't. They just know the name and its fast. I tell them mine is basically a Hellcat version of a Camaro (ZL1). and they say oh...I like the name Hellcat better.
This is even more true when you add in the 1LE package, Chevy missed the boat on naming packages, only true enthusiasts will understand, which most of the masses are not.