Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 11-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #99
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
I was in this thread last fall as I was looking for an OEM size 1LE all-season solution that met the speed/load rating for cold weather, the only domestic choice was the Bridgestone RE980AS and that was on national back order with no end in sight. I ordered Lexani LX-20's in 285/30-20 and 305/30-20 off Amazon for $550.00 for all four delivered out of desperation, much to the amusement of some here. I ran those tires all last winter and they were great, a bit noisy on certain road surfaces but far exceed expectations in every regard.
So this year I decided I would improve my life and lighten my wallet by getting those Bridgestone RE980AS's (must be better) for this winter even thought the Lexani's are in the basement and GTG. I've had the Bridgestones for a few weeks now and I hate them, I can break them loose everywhere, they're noisy, ride like a forklift (worse when cold) and one cold morning after letting the car sit for three days flat spotted so bad it took about five miles before the rearview mirror stopped vibrating...YMMV

Last edited by Warrior102; 11-23-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 03:33 PM   #100
Dan75

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Can you please confirm the Lexani's are actually all-season. Does it say "M+S" on the sidewall? Some of the info on different websites varies and I haven't been able to find a good close-up shot of the sidewall. Thanks.
Dan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 04:47 PM   #101
GAOLDGUY

Drives: 2012 GMC Sierra, 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I understand why you are asking. I went through the same thing. There is indeed an "M+S" on the sidewall. I have been running them for quite some time but have less that 5000 miles on my 2018 SS 1LE. I had about 800 miles when I put the Lexanis on. I was unable to get the 980AS Bridgestones because of availability. I understand that the 295/30/20 will fit the front but the Lexanis checked every box for what I needed to daily my car until I find a good deal on another set of factory wheels (still looking). They are the same size, work in rain and cold. I have not tried them in snow. We don't get that much here.
GAOLDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:43 PM   #102
Warrior102

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAOLDGUY View Post
I understand why you are asking. I went through the same thing. There is indeed an "M+S" on the sidewall. I have been running them for quite some time but have less that 5000 miles on my 2018 SS 1LE. I had about 800 miles when I put the Lexanis on. I was unable to get the 980AS Bridgestones because of availability. I understand that the 295/30/20 will fit the front but the Lexanis checked every box for what I needed to daily my car until I find a good deal on another set of factory wheels (still looking). They are the same size, work in rain and cold. I have not tried them in snow. We don't get that much here.
Yes they are M+S, never drove in snow but they're great in rain and standing water, got them mostly for cold temperatures.
You dodged an $1200 bullet GAOLDGUY, every morning when I drive off and the car feels like I have a wood planks screwed to the bottom of my tires I'm ready to pull these off and put the Lexani's back on, that and I can spin these things across town in first and second gear on dry pavement, all day long. The Lexani's would only break free on turns if I tried, my only knock on them is road noise.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:32 PM   #103
GAOLDGUY

Drives: 2012 GMC Sierra, 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Many Thanks Warrior102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
Yes they are M+S, never drove in snow but they're great in rain and standing water, got them mostly for cold temperatures.
You dodged an $1200 bullet GAOLDGUY, every morning when I drive off and the car feels like I have a wood planks screwed to the bottom of my tires I'm ready to pull these off and put the Lexani's back on, that and I can spin these things across town in first and second gear on dry pavement, all day long. The Lexani's would only break free on turns if I tried, my only knock on them is road noise.
Hey Warrior102! You may not remember but you were very helpful over a year ago when I was looking for tires. You answered many questions and I really appreciate the help. Thanks for being so patient back then and thanks for the 980AS review. That was going to be my next set.
GAOLDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:00 AM   #104
Dan75

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Thank you for your help. Believe I'm going to order me a set off Amazon or through Wal-Mart's website. I realize it seems a little ridiculous putting such cheap tires on such a capable car, but if I don't have an all-season, it's in the garage 5-6 months out of the year in Colorado. Fingers crossed the new all-season tire Michelin is making for the base model C8 Vette will become available in a reasonable amount of time. That might be a great solution for 1LE owners that's not too far off.
Dan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:02 AM   #105
madscotsman

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
I was in this thread last fall as I was looking for an OEM size 1LE all-season solution that met the speed/load rating for cold weather, the only domestic choice was the Bridgestone RE980AS and that was on national back order with no end in sight. I ordered Lexani LX-20's in 285/30-20 and 305/30-20 off Amazon for $550.00 for all four delivered out of desperation, much to the amusement of some here. I ran those tires all last winter and they were great, a bit noisy on certain road surfaces but far exceed expectations in every regard.
So this year I decided I would improve my life and lighten my wallet by getting those Bridgestone RE980AS's (must be better) for this winter even thought the Lexani's are in the basement and GTG. I've had the Bridgestones for a few weeks now and I hate them, I can break them loose everywhere, they're noisy, ride like a forklift (worse when cold) and one cold morning after letting the car sit for three days flat spotted so bad it took about five miles before the rearview mirror stopped vibrating...YMMV
Weird, I haven't had ANY problems with mine. My car sometimes sits for a few weeks not being driven and I've never experienced ANY vibrations from flat spots. My garage is heated, but not sure that would make any difference.?!? I've not experienced any issue with traction either. I've accelerated aggressively through some pretty sharp corners without braking intentionally. and feel comfortable on long sweeping highway exits here in INDY at ANY speed. I got impatient waiting for the back-order to resolve itself back in 2018, and also purchased the Lexanis off Amazon and via Murphy's law, the Bridgestones showed up 2-3 days after the Lexanis LOL. They looked like decent tires (rubber was pretty soft), but I returned them to Amazon and kept the Bridgestones. Last time I looked the 295's were on back-order again a few weeks ago.
madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:12 PM   #106
Warrior102

The tires are more prone to flat spotting in colder weather, the colder the worse it is. I guess I'm being hard on them because the Lexani's so far exceeded my expectations and the Bridgestones fell far short. I purchased the Lexani's because it was the only choice I had, I had just purchased the car in late August and wanted to drive it as winter was coming on. I live on Cape Cod and we get a metric ton of snow but it's usually gone in a few days, wash rinse repeat all winter, we do get some cold ass temperatures though. I put over 5K miles on the Lexani's last winter and put PS4S's on in the spring (great street tires), this fall I purchased a set of MMR rims so I could do my own wheel swaps and threw down for the RE980's thinking they would be far better, they were not in comparison. If I started with the RE980's I may have a different outlook as I expected AS tires to be a compromise and they are.