Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-29-2021, 11:52 AM   #15
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by beworthy3 View Post
That little metal piece that’s sticking off the plug was just big enough for me to spin it out with an Allen key. Huge relief thanks for the help
You are crazy lucky, my friend!

Please post pictures of the two pieces of the drain plug. Like others here, I am at a loss to understand how this failed. Did you feel resistance while reinstalling the plug? I normally spin these on with bare fingers and then just snug up with a wrench. If it doesn't spin on easy, good chance it's starting to cross-thread.

I guess the other questions is, "Is this an aftermarket drain plug?"
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:09 PM   #16
beworthy3

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Insanely lucky i know lol. Was using a simple socket wrench. Picture of the bolt below. Threads are fine
Attached Images

beworthy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:03 PM   #17
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
My 2016 Camaro that I bought used I also had a problem with the oil drain plug on my very first oil change at home. The car only had 8K on it so the oil was changed only a couple of times before then. The last place must have way over torqued the plug. I got out my typical 12 point socket to remove the plug. I have been using 12 points on drain bolts practically forever and never had a problem. (I would have used 6 point if I knew how tight it was). It was on there so tight and I was not expecting it, the socket got cocked and I stripped the hex. I had to get my biggest vice grips and squeeze them on the stripped hex with everything I had. Then I had to use both arms as leverage and finally got the bolt loose. Phew, I was worried I was going to have to drill it out. I don't know why some places way over tighten the oil drain plugs but they do. The threads were fine on the oil pan were fine.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:06 PM   #18
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
You sir need to play the lottery now! LOLZ somebody is watching out for you my friend>
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:21 PM   #19
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
My vote is faulty oil plug. I don't see how that failure is possible without ripping out the threads in the pan first. That's crazy.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote