Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 10-26-2019, 06:34 PM   #1
Junkyardspecial

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Cold weather experience with the SC3R

I live in Florida and will be venturing to an event at tail of the dragon with my ZLE next week. Lows are suppose to dip into the 30s so Ill be taking my tires inside my cabin to keep them warm at night. Im just curious what the tires did when it was 40--60 degrees, did they maintain heat well, or did they never build any?

Will buy your GoodYear Supercar 3R Take offs!
Junkyardspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:36 PM   #2
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
I cant build any heat on the street. at 50 degrees driving 75 mph for 15 miles on I40 after 12 miles the tire temp goes from blue (cold) to green(warm) and even then the green is borderline.

Dont want you to get hurt is all. The Dragon can be tricky road. You get a good run for a dozen corners and then catch up on slow traffic and loose any heat you have in the tires. They shed heat very well. I was up there 2 weeks ago.

Id look at some 200 treadware tires they would be easier to get heat into.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:12 PM   #3
Junkyardspecial

I appreciate the knowledge. I go up there about once a month, but its the first time with cooler temps in this car. Ill just monitor my temps a bit more closely this go around.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #4
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
No problem. The tires can be a bit frustrating on the street is all.

We got a few days with highs in the 70's but the week ends with highs in the 50's.

hell if you go up there every month look into tire warmers!

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #5
Junkyardspecial

Haha I usually end my "Season" next week, I just know a cold front is coming it the day before I get there. Bad timing but Ill make the best of it.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:27 PM   #6
Northtrack

I had my first cold weather experience with the F1SC3R's and it wasn't positive. It started with a nervous 100 mile drive to the track with temperatures about -2 deg C/29 deg F. First run on the track the temps were 2 deg C/36 deg F and did four sessions with the warmest being about 9 deg C/48 deg F. These were basically new tires - maybe 300 street miles total and this was the first track day.The grip for the morning sessions was non existent for the first 2-3 laps and took about 7 laps to get up to pressure, heat and decent grip. With 24 minute sessions, getting a reasonable amount of heat into the tires took over half the session. During the last session, I stared to feel a vibration like I had picked something up on the tires. I didn't change so I came in after a couple of laps and checked the tires, and discovered a large chunk of rubber missing from the middle of the right rear tire - pics below. No pressure loss, and I was able to drive home - albeit slowly and with a steady vibration. I'm sure this is a result of cold temperature use and abuse which the F1SC3R's are just not designed for. I suspect they would've held up much better if I was only street driving at those temperatures, but the lack of grip would seriously detract from the experience. FWIW, I put my street tires (Michelin 4S) today and it's a different car. For me at least, I will avoid using the F1SC3R's below 40 deg F.
Attached Images

Northtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:04 PM   #7
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Wow man that could have been bad for you Northtrack
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:42 PM   #8
Junkyardspecial

Glad you mentioned something, I don't foresee going fast enough to de-laminate the tire but its good for others to see this on a first hand basis going in the future. Glad you caught that before it went any further.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:11 PM   #9
Northtrack

Needless to say I was a little freaked out when I saw the tire after I got off the track. At a minimum, I did two hot laps with the damaged tire, but it could've been more. Bottom line, it's prudent to be cautious with these tires in low temps, particularly with track usage.
Northtrack is offline   Reply With Quote