Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-31-2021, 11:50 PM   #1
Shadowredlev

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Weird clunks when engaging gear? 1LE Manual

Hey guys so I have a 2019 SS 1LE and I have been noticing an issue recently that has been getting more and more annoying as I drive the car more, I have about 14k miles on the car, Ive driven lots of stick shift cars so I don't think I have messed something up, anyway let me get the issue

So its a few different ones, one I have read is normal, sometimes when going Ito first from a stop when I try to let off the clutch and let off the gas I get clutch chatter, its been there since I got the car, It doesn't happen all the time, but I think this is somewhat normal

Anyway the other issue I see is sometimes when I disengage the clutch when in gear, there is a clunk/chatter noise that sounds like its coming from the middle front area, not sure if this is normal, the doesn't happen all the time but it happened from different gear and different RPM's

The other is sometimes Ill clutch in all the way from a stop, shift into first and while im still clutched in, once im in first, ill get a clunk noise, this also doesn't happen all the time but it does happen often, and I can feel the clunk too, im clutched in so I can't understand why there would be any feeling in the car or a clunk :/

Also when driving at higher speeds, I was feeling a clunk as I was shifting into gear when clutched in when going into a lower gear, so the other day I was clutched in all the way, I had rev matching off, and as I would switch between 3rd and 4th gear, staying clutched in id feel the clunk/noise, I cant understand what it could be

the dealer said the usual "we can't duplicate the concern" but I don't believe they really drove the car, what do you guys think it could be?

thanks for any help!
Shadowredlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:01 AM   #2
NickTheKnife

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
I have a 2018 SS 1LE and experience the same things on a daily basis, especially when cold.

I took it as normal
NickTheKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:10 AM   #3
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2020 1SS 1LE, I get an occasional "thunk" when I push the clutch in from 1st or 2nd, like when coming to a stop. Seems normal, yes, more when cold for me as well.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:38 AM   #4
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Wonder if that same clank i get at low speed, esp backing up my driveway which has slight incline.

Happens when you load / unload drive wheels. I'll have to get a video next time i take the car out. Inm y case, it's a very solid metal on metal noise. Almost like hammer bouncing on an anvil. Of course, dealer could hear it, but couldn't find the source.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:01 AM   #5
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Wonder if that same clank i get at low speed, esp backing up my driveway which has slight incline.

Happens when you load / unload drive wheels. I'll have to get a video next time i take the car out. Inm y case, it's a very solid metal on metal noise. Almost like hammer bouncing on an anvil. Of course, dealer could hear it, but couldn't find the source.
This. I think it is exactly when the drive shaft is loaded/unloaded, much like my "old" auto trans muscle cars that would all make a very audible "CLUNK" when moving from park to drive (or reverse). Very similar noise to me.....

I still believe it is quite normal and there is no issue. This has been since day one on my now 1 1/2 year old, 5K mile SSLE
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:44 PM   #6
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
Same here. As others already mentioned, I too believe it is just backlash from the drivetrain. Easing the clutch in, especially going out of 1st (before switching to 2nd) removes the stress when load on the drivetrain shifts direction. It takes a lot of practice. But the car can be driven completely smoothly with no clunking, when taking this into account. I hope it makes sense.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote