#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-24-2022, 09:48 PM   #1
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
What would you do? Bumper question

Well it's been a while since posting..

In the mean time i have been dealing with paint correction and ZL1 1LE bumper conversion. Today i got everything put apart but ran out of time to remove the bumper. In the process, i realized how terrible my paint condition is for the front bumper. It had a lot of rock hits and small chips here and there.. however, the only way to really see that would be at like a couple of inches from the bumper at full sun or with a flashlight.

Question is, should i have the bumper repainted now that i am removing it? I don't want to lose the OEM paint finish and i don't know if i trust a shop to do it right. What would you guys do? I figured i could live with it and touch up whatever is not paint color. Again, i can't see it unless I get super close. Maybe get some PPF so it doesn't get any worse? But is it worth it?

No major damage just a handful of rock chips.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:15 PM   #2
Seventh Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post

In the mean time i have been dealing with paint correction and ZL1 1LE bumper conversion. Today i got everything put apart but ran out of time to remove the bumper. In the process, i realized how terrible my paint condition is for the front bumper. It had a lot of rock hits and small chips here and there.. however, the only way to really see that would be at like a couple of inches from the bumper at full sun or with a flashlight.

Question is, should i have the bumper repainted now that i am removing it? I don't want to lose the OEM paint finish and i don't know if i trust a shop to do it right. What would you guys do? I figured i could live with it and touch up whatever is not paint color. Again, i can't see it unless I get super close. Maybe get some PPF so it doesn't get any worse? But is it worth it?

It's really what you think will make you happy. I have had many cars that I have used for car shows/drag racing, etc. I always had the motto you gotta pay to play. Meaning, if I scratched or got a rock chip on my show car while at the drag strip, I'd have a door or whatever part re-painted/fixed.

With that said.... My painter who is absolutely incredible, the only color I ever had trouble with a color match was red. Very hard to hit red spot on for some reason. Black, white, silver, grey, red, all colors that I have had spots repainted and no one would have know the difference right down to the orange peel. It took a couple of tries on the red to get it right, and then he ended up doing a blend into another panel to keep things consistent.

The one thing in your favor here, which is unfortunate, most of the new Camaro front bumper colors are mismatched to the car pretty significantly. Some I notice a little, some are drastic. You might get lucky and the repaint match better than the existing color, or, it might be worse.....

Wow I turned this into a long answer.. Good luck with your choice.
Seventh Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:37 AM   #3
Mac7504

Drives: 2003 Monte Carlo SS SLP, 2022 ZL1
Quote:

If you either decide to paint or ppf I have a few places I could recommend in our area.

I've already noticed a small nick on my front by the hood area. So small but I notice everything. These things seem to be rock magnets so I'm going to ppf asap. Even one of the managers at the dealership I purchased from stated he had one and recommended that's the first thing I do.
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:08 AM   #4
Wuiquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh Camaro View Post
It's really what you think will make you happy. I have had many cars that I have used for car shows/drag racing, etc. I always had the motto you gotta pay to play. Meaning, if I scratched or got a rock chip on my show car while at the drag strip, I'd have a door or whatever part re-painted/fixed.

With that said.... My painter who is absolutely incredible, the only color I ever had trouble with a color match was red. Very hard to hit red spot on for some reason. Black, white, silver, grey, red, all colors that I have had spots repainted and no one would have know the difference right down to the orange peel. It took a couple of tries on the red to get it right, and then he ended up doing a blend into another panel to keep things consistent.

The one thing in your favor here, which is unfortunate, most of the new Camaro front bumper colors are mismatched to the car pretty significantly. Some I notice a little, some are drastic. You might get lucky and the repaint match better than the existing color, or, it might be worse.....

Wow I turned this into a long answer.. Good luck with your choice.
I actually think my bumper is well match to the rest of my paint.. but yeah red turns out to be a hard color to keep nice looking. I guess I didn't know that before.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:13 AM   #5
Wuiquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7504 View Post
If you either decide to paint or ppf I have a few places I could recommend in our area.

I've already noticed a small nick on my front by the hood area. So small but I notice everything. These things seem to be rock magnets so I'm going to ppf asap. Even one of the managers at the dealership I purchased from stated he had one and recommended that's the first thing I do.
Send me the recommendation please.. yeah if you have a brand new car, i suggest you get PPF in all the places. I agree this thing gets rocks everywhere.. there were so many inside the bumper i just removed..
Old 04-25-2022, 01:18 AM   #6
Wuiquen

Name:  IMG_20220424_171231152.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  97.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20220424_181157902.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  79.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20220424_181210776.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  89.2 KB
Old 04-25-2022, 01:43 AM   #7
Mac7504

Drives: 2003 Monte Carlo SS SLP, 2022 ZL1
Quote:
Send me the recommendation please.. yeah if you have a brand new car, i suggest you get PPF in all the places. I agree this thing gets rocks everywhere.. there were so many inside the bumper i just removed..
I will shoot you a dm in the morning.
Mac7504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:21 AM   #8
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Touch up the chips and get the car some PPF in the important areas.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:50 AM   #9
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
I personally wouldn't put PPF on anything but perfect paint. It will only magnify the bad spots and then you'll have plastic film that's come off of the bumper dragging around. If the paint isn't smooth and pristine, the film is going to have a hard time sticking.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:45 AM   #10
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
If I was in your shoes, I would have the bumper painted then do PPF on the entire bumper, splitter, air inlets (e.g. all painted surfaces on the front of the car not including the grille that can't be PPFd), hood/extractor, front fenders, mirrors, and in front of and behind the rear wheels. I have Xpel PPF on my '21 ZL1 in all those areas; ~5,500 miles and there's only a couple of marks in the PPF (the paint is fine beneath the marks). Those would have been big marks without PPF, and smaller stuff self heals so you don't usually see the small marks at all.

I also recommend doing the bottom of the side skirt behind the front tires and on the underside of the trim behind the rear tires. I didn't do those areas and both areas are beat up. It's not visible from any angle except from the ground, but I don't like that those areas are getting badly beat up.

It's especially bad here because my county chip seals the roads. If you haven't heard of chip sealing, it's awful. Little rocks glued to the road that don't stick very well. In some areas it's almost like driving on a gravel road, of which I avoid those areas as best as possible. When they are actually chip sealing, the roads are gravel roads for 2 weeks before they apply the upper adhesive. It's terrible. I'm constantly finding small rocks embedded in my tires, in my wife's tire tread, and I'm constantly sweeping my driveway, garage, and street in front of my house.

I do have a small rock chip on my roof about 6" from the windshield (I heard it hit and I cringed). I don't know that I would normally PPF the roof, I think that was a fluke as my Mustang didn't have PPF and had 12k miles and didn't have any chips on the A-pillars or roof.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 12:01 PM   #11
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
If I was in your shoes, I would have the bumper painted then do PPF on the entire bumper, splitter, air inlets (e.g. all painted surfaces on the front of the car not including the grille that can't be PPFd), hood/extractor, front fenders, mirrors, and in front of and behind the rear wheels. I have Xpel PPF on my '21 ZL1 in all those areas; ~5,500 miles and there's only a couple of marks in the PPF (the paint is fine beneath the marks). Those would have been big marks without PPF, and smaller stuff self heals so you don't usually see the small marks at all.

I also recommend doing the bottom of the side skirt behind the front tires and on the underside of the trim behind the rear tires. I didn't do those areas and both areas are beat up. It's not visible from any angle except from the ground, but I don't like that those areas are getting badly beat up.

It's especially bad here because my county chip seals the roads. If you haven't heard of chip sealing, it's awful. Little rocks glued to the road that don't stick very well. In some areas it's almost like driving on a gravel road, of which I avoid those areas as best as possible. When they are actually chip sealing, the roads are gravel roads for 2 weeks before they apply the upper adhesive. It's terrible. I'm constantly finding small rocks embedded in my tires, in my wife's tire tread, and I'm constantly sweeping my driveway, garage, and street in front of my house.

I do have a small rock chip on my roof about 6" from the windshield (I heard it hit and I cringed). I don't know that I would normally PPF the roof, I think that was a fluke as my Mustang didn't have PPF and had 12k miles and didn't have any chips on the A-pillars or roof.
GM paint (Camaro in particular) is very thin and chips very easily.
Ask me how I know. I’d PPF as much as possible
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 12:46 AM   #12
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Fix it right then protect it with some self-healing PPF. Whole car if you can swing it.

I did mine 2 weeks into ownership and it still looks fantastic and wins awards after nearly five years.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote