#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-02-2021, 01:06 PM   #15
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
You have to be honest about what the intent is for use.

As someone who has driven both - I voted for the ZLE. The suspension may be stiff however the aggressive spring rates are required for the massive Aero that comes with the car.

These are heavy cars at the end of the day so dialing in the ZL1 via the 1LE track package pays dividends on the track and on back roads.

I have track time in my car and hit some of the best roads (Tail of the Dragon + Surrounding areas) and endured 20 hr drives with the car.

Would I sell mine today? Not a chance.

Key thing is swapping the stock GY3R tires to a streetable tire like Conti ECS or Michelin PS4S. The softer sidewalls pay dividends on the street.

Reserve the stock GY3R tires for the track only (with a separate set of wheels/tires).

yea that seems to be the ticket for most guys that street/track their cars especially since those 3rs are deadly in the cold/rain lol
Old 06-02-2021, 01:13 PM   #16
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Sure full ohlins (which blows the stock 1LE suspension away) if you have a big credit card, I was assuming something more budget friendly
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:18 PM   #17
kropscamaro16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Sure full ohlins (which blows the stock 1LE suspension away) if you have a big credit card, I was assuming something more budget friendly

ohlins doesnt make anything for 6th gens they said the 5th gen line sold so shitty they have no plans to make anything

mag ride > dssv > jrz or mcs is usually the way it works
Old 06-02-2021, 02:02 PM   #18
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
I think you mean jrz coilovers > the rest correct?
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #19
kropscamaro16

jrz and mcs are pretty much in the same class when it comes to race coilovers jrz doesnt have a listing for 6th gen camaro at this time but they soon will !
Old 06-02-2021, 02:39 PM   #20
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
I think what the OP is looking for here , is comparisons between the 2 suspension systems. Like details of damping performance, comparisons to how each system handles various road conditions.

What we are getting here are talks abut coil-over options and opinions about what is best just like every other thread about this topic.

I guess they're just haven't been too many here whom have experienced both and can offer details about how each handles various road conditions, like compression, rebound, quickness of regaining body/chassis control, etc.

I can't directly compare, but I came out of a M3 with Ohlin R/T to the SS 1LE with MRC, and can offer a couple comparisons...

1.) The Ohlins responded quicker on the rebound stroke and settling the car after upset was IMMEDIATE!!! With MRC, it is a little lazier in its actions.

2.) The MRC stayed consistent regardless of speed, 60MPH felt the same as 120MPH on the same roads. While with the Ohlins, as the speeds increased, things got more intense, still very controlled and confident inspiring, but more intense.

I would assume that you could draw similar conclusions when comparing the DSSV's to the MRC on the ZL1 as well.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #21
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
jrz and mcs are pretty much in the same class when it comes to race coilovers jrz doesnt have a listing for 6th gen camaro at this time but they soon will !
< signs pointing in wrong direction :-)
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:45 PM   #22
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
You can add the following to a ZL1 and get 99% plus have a smoother ride on the street in touring mode:

1. ZL1 front aero
2. ZL1 spoiler or APR
3. DSC Sport Mag Ride Controller
4. 19x11/19x12 Apex Wheels with 3R tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-02-2021, 02:50 PM   #23
SFV1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I think what the OP is looking for here , is comparisons between the 2 suspension systems. Like details of damping performance, comparisons to how each system handles various road conditions.

What we are getting here are talks abut coil-over options and opinions about what is best just like every other thread about this topic.

I guess they're just haven't been too many here whom have experienced both and can offer details about how each handles various road conditions, like compression, rebound, quickness of regaining body/chassis control, etc.
I think this has also been covered many times...

Mag Ride has a more comfortable ride but has lower overall handling performance, except on a drag strip where the softer suspension helps launch.

DSSVs have a less comfortable ride bordering on extremely stiff, but perform better (or are set right) for all important categories that result in better track performance.

This is proven repeatedly whenever equal (very good to great) drivers with equal tires compare ZL1 vs ZLE lap times on circuits around the world.

There doesn't seem to much more detail needed, more comfort vs. more performance.

There is less difference between average drivers, who are often not consistent lap to lap, day to day... the ZL1 may even have an advantage because the stiff suspension of a ZLE can be a lot to handle or fully leverage for an inexperienced or average driver. ZLE is like a scalpel, and can be dangerous in the wrong hands.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:01 PM   #24
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
I think this has also been covered many times...

Mag Ride has a more comfortable ride but has lower overall handling performance, except on a drag strip where the softer suspension helps launch.

DSSVs have a less comfortable ride bordering on extremely stiff, but perform better (or are set right) for all important categories that result in better track performance.

This is proven repeatedly whenever equal (very good to great) drivers with equal tires compare ZL1 vs ZLE lap times on circuits around the world.

There doesn't seem to much more detail needed, more comfort vs. more performance.

There is less difference between average drivers, who are often not consistent lap to lap, day to day... the ZL1 may even have an advantage because the stiff suspension of a ZLE can be a lot to handle or fully leverage for an inexperienced or average driver. ZLE is like a scalpel, and can be dangerous in the wrong hands.
Yes, that is a great summary, but again, like I said above, I think the OP is looking for DETAILS on that summary.

How does each handle specific scenarios. The meat and potatoes so to speak.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:12 PM   #25
SFV1LE

Quote:
Yes, that is a great summary, but again, like I said above, I think the OP is looking for DETAILS on that summary.

That would take an essay like description that I'm not up for :-) To answer those questions, the OP should just drive both. That may not be easy, but better than trusting the subjective ramblings of someone like me about high speed/low speed compression, rebound, body roll, etc.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #26
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:

Yes. I understand the the two cars are different when it comes to the suspension and their purpose (race vs street). I also understand ZLE is better handling/suspension for the track.

But yes i would like to hear from people who have experience both, did you miss the ZLE or was the ZL1 track setting close enough to make it not a huge performance gap?

I also understand that anyone who is a track ready/pro driver will never do this swap and will always choose the ZLE. however, for those of you who did, were you disappointed? any subtle or bid changes when ZL1 goes into track mode?

like let me give you an example, my Corvette C6 GS is a great car and at the mountains and twisty give you a great experience when you can get amazing road feeling without having to go extremely fast. The ZLE can do the same road at extremely higher speeds and not give me the same exhilarating feeling. it takes a lot more speed for that car to feel scary. Now, back to the thread, will the ZL1 will significantly different or will the average person not even realize?
Old 06-02-2021, 03:23 PM   #27
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
That would take an essay like description that I'm not up for :-) To answer those questions, the OP should just drive both. That may not be easy, but better than trusting the subjective ramblings of someone like me about high speed/low speed compression, rebound, body roll, etc.
I agree with this but it is hard. Test driving a car with a dealer for 5 miles or so or even more, will not be the same as owning the car and going for long trips and other driving.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #28
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
The key difference in a track setting between a Mag ride vs Coilover (Ex: DSSV) is thermal heat management.

I've seen 3 Mag ride based Chevy's - 2 Camaros and 1 Corvette Z06 have their Mag shocks overheat on track.

Coilovers are not susceptible to heat issues.