#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-04-2018, 07:11 PM   #1
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Stock exhaust questions

Can anyone elaborate on the following:

1.) Difference between the "NPP" and the "Regular" SS system?

2.) Difference between the SS /1LE (if any difference to the "regular" SS?) "NPP" and the ZL1 "NPP" ?

Trying to learn stuff about my new 1LE
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:19 PM   #2
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
The NPP system has an active valve that will open and close at certain rpms kind of like a cut out. They keep the car quiet while cruising and give more volume when you are on the throttle. So it's basically a muffler bypass or a bi-modal muffler. One side of the muffler is a straight through pipe for maximum volume and performance and the other half is a very tame muffler. The standard SS exhaust with single tips on each side is a basic exhaust system that keeps the car way to quiet imo.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
Eldi Z

O.K., thanks.
What about ZL1 stock system, compared with the SS "NPP" ? Any significant differences between the two?
Old 04-04-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
The ZL1 tips appear to be bell mouthed compared to the 1LE/SS NPP tips.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:18 PM   #5
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
When you start it, it's like a bomb goes off.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #6
Casalino

Drives: 17' 1LE BLK
I want more sound from my npp. I plan on keeping the mufflers with the bypass valve.....possibly change something between the mufflers and the engine. What are my options? I want the car to pass inspections and have no dash lights triggered
Casalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:48 AM   #7
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casalino View Post
I want more sound from my npp. I plan on keeping the mufflers with the bypass valve.....possibly change something between the mufflers and the engine. What are my options? I want the car to pass inspections and have no dash lights triggered
Simplest options are to get an aftermarket system that still has NPP valves or cutouts.

Aftermarket systems will keep all the functionality that the current system has, but both open and closed modes will be louder than they are with the stock system. You'll also likely get a different exhaust note that will be unique depending on muffler manufacturer.

Cut-outs are simply another set of valves that you install somewhere else on the system, typically somewhere between the cats and muffler. These will give you a 3rd "mode" that is louder than the open dual mode system, but will require you to install some form of additional wiring to be able to open and close them. Might also sporadically get codes for cat efficiency depending on what conditions you open them with since the flow restriction of the mufflers is gone when the cutouts are open.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
davef

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casalino View Post
I recommend simply having an exhaust shop cut out the secondary cats and replace them with a plain section of pipe. Many members here have had that done including myself. It added a bit of volume and more popping on decel. Plus it was super cheap. My shop only charged me $100! But I've seen members here pay up to $200 at their shops. Still worth it.

I want to add that I have no lights on the dash. If the weld is done correctly you won't have any codes but if there is a leak some people have seen codes because the primary cats are very close to the secondary ones and their sensors detects the leak. Of course if you have a visual inspection in your state you probably can't get away with this. My state doesn't.
davef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #9
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
I recommend simply having an exhaust shop cut out the secondary cats and replace them with a plain section of pipe. Many members here have had that done including myself. It added a bit of volume and more popping on decel. Plus it was super cheap. My shop only charged me $100! But I've seen members here pay up to $200 at their shops. Still worth it.

I want to add that I have no lights on the dash. If the weld is done correctly you won't have any codes but if there is a leak some people have seen codes because the primary cats are very close to the secondary ones and their sensors detects the leak. Of course if you have a visual inspection in your state you probably can't get away with this. My state doesn't.
This is good advice, I will add if possible to use your suggestion with clamps as to reverse when inspection time comes.

As you point out, there are solutions, but they take some work to get around tuning and inspection.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #10
Eldi Z

Back to the question about the differences between the SS NPT and the ZL1 system.
Apart from the different sound, is there a difference in flow / performance / diameters / muffler and/or CAT designs and materials?

Another piece I forgot to ask about are the headers: SS NPT system headers Vs. ZL1 headers?

What I am getting at is: If I happen to install a power adder I.E. PD or Centri charger, is the SS NPT system overall going to perform / flow like the stock ZL1's?

Talking about the same power levels of ~ 650 crank-HP (as the ZL1 has stock).
Old 04-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #11
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
Back to the question about the differences between the SS NPT and the ZL1 system.
Apart from the different sound, is there a difference in flow / performance / diameters / muffler and/or CAT designs and materials?

Another piece I forgot to ask about are the headers: SS NPT system headers Vs. ZL1 headers?

What I am getting at is: If I happen to install a power adder I.E. PD or Centri charger, is the SS NPT system overall going to perform / flow like the stock ZL1's?

Talking about the same power levels of ~ 650 crank-HP (as the ZL1 has stock).
I'm not certain of this, but I *think* the SS exhaust system is 2.25" and the ZL-1 exhaust system is 3". Other than that, it's the same system.

All forced induction kits are designed to work with the stock system. A more free-flowing exhaust system will allow more power gains if you were to mod further, however quoted output by vendors is with the stock exhaust and - as far as I know - it isn't a limiting factor at those levels. In other words, you should be just fine doing FI first and then when you want more power still, upgrade the exhaust at that point.
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #12
Eldi Z

Thanks for the quick reply!
This is what I thought, but out of interest wanted to know the differences to the ZL1 stock piping / headers and materials (mufflers, CATs, Etc.)
Old 04-05-2018, 01:57 PM   #13
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecchi667 View Post
I'm not certain of this, but I *think* the SS exhaust system is 2.25" and the ZL-1 exhaust system is 3". Other than that, it's the same system.

All forced induction kits are designed to work with the stock system. A more free-flowing exhaust system will allow more power gains if you were to mod further, however quoted output by vendors is with the stock exhaust and - as far as I know - it isn't a limiting factor at those levels. In other words, you should be just fine doing FI first and then when you want more power still, upgrade the exhaust at that point.
That is not correct. Both systems have 2.75" piping.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #14
Eldi Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
That is not correct. Both systems have 2.75" piping.
So is it safe to assume that the SS "NPT" and ZL1 stock systems are similar in the performance and overall flow (Incl. the headers and all the way to the rear mufflers?