Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 03-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
BlkCamaroSS

Drives: 2SS 2016
Unhappy Tech Savvy Owners, Chime in? A ton of issues with 2SS A8.

Hi guys,

I made a post around 8/17 stating that my car got the infamous shuddering issue. It has since been at the dealer for 66 days for what has been a horrid experience and horrible customer service from GM. Story below (long read, apologies).

1. I took my car in around 8/17 for the known shuddering issue, dealer says no problem we found the TSB and proceed to replace TQ right away (as opposed to flushing transmission). Dealer has the car for 2 weeks (doesn't provide me with a rental in the meantime) and i get it back, drives exact same.

2. I take car back for round 2, dealer says we'll change TQ again as GM re engineered it to fix the shuddering. They have my car for 2 more weeks, i get the car back and it's the exact same way, now rattling from the rear.

3. I take the car back for round 3, they fix the rattling, now my AC blows hard on acceleration every time, while shuddering still persists.

4. Take the car back for the round 4, dealer says let's flush the transmission 3 times it'll fix the shuddering. They flush it, i get it back and they say we couldn't fix it but we minimized it, so drive it for a while and let us know how it goes. They say they couldn't replicate the AC issue (mind you it does it every time even on light acceleration).

5. I drive the car for 500 miles per GM, shuddering gets even worse. I take it back for round 5 - Dealer says let's replace TQ again.. and i'm like seriously?!

6. I get the car after 3rd TQ change and 1 transmission flush, issue is exact same and AC issue still persists but they claim they cannot replicate. Also, now my electronics (Navi, Windows, etc start acting up and freezing).

7. I get aggravated and discuss with GM as it's getting ridiculous, he tells me honestly they need to give you a new car because they cannot fix it (he says don't tell them i told you).

8. GM tech from factory comes to look at car and says we'll put a new transmission and it'll fix it (5th Repair). They have the car for 3 weeks, i get it back and even in the parking lot i notice the issue. AC issue still there.

Now after the brand new transmission change the car won't grip the floor no matter what, entire car feels like it's floating on air and pulls me to the side when acceleration, even on light acceleration (forget about over taking someone, i almost ended up in a ditch). Also, i'm driving 50mph in the city and my Traction Control light comes on and the car becomes completely unresponsive to pressing the gas pedal.

9. I have an appt at a different dealer on Monday, for a 6th repair, to have it looked at as this dealer has completely screwed up the car.

** Basically, any ideas why the AC blow hard on acceleration and why the car feels like it's floating on air and cannot grip the floor at all? And possibly why TC light is coming on and car becomes unresponsive to giving it gas? I feel like they messed up the traction big time when they put the new transmission in and i'm almost sure they will not be able to get it back to how it was so i'm stuck on what to do. If i could at least get the traction issue fixed and the car grips again great how it did before, i can get over the AC blowing hard issue and the shuddering but TC issue is completely unsafe.

Any insight would be appreciated as GM clearly has no answer on this and i'm not sure how to proceed. I appreciate your input guys, and again apologies for the long read.

- Ross
BlkCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:48 PM   #2
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
Lemon law it?
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:51 PM   #3
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
https://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/autom.../lemon-law.php

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #4
BlkCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetalmissle View Post
Lemon law it?
I'm actually working on this (hired an attorney and in the process at the moment) but GM offered a measly resolution offer (like 1/2 the MSRP of the car - told me to pick anything out the lot for 25k...) and the car still needs to be fixed while that's taking place as i'm not sure how long it will take (it has already been months), and this car is my daily driver. GM has just handled the process horribly and while i have 2 other Chevy's and love the 2SS, i'm not sure if i can ever in good faith give my money to GM.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #5
BlkCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99BEN View Post
Thank you for the link.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
JRS

Drives: 16 camaro M6/ 18 ZL1 camaro A10
Sorry about your car. I would think that maybe the tcm and ecm aren't linked properly. When they changed the trans out they should have link the two together but I would doubt it because I have a feeling the dealer you are working with isn't maybe the best because they should have been able to resolve this without all this hassle. I would maybe take it to a different dealer and see what they think and if no good results maybe try and reach out to one of the customer service members on this forum. Just my thought, I hope you get it resolved.
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:02 PM   #7
BlkCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS View Post
Sorry about your car. I would think that maybe the tcm and ecm aren't linked properly. When they changed the trans out they should have link the two together but I would doubt it because I have a feeling the dealer you are working with isn't maybe the best because they should have been able to resolve this without all this hassle. I would maybe take it to a different dealer and see what they think and if no good results maybe try and reach out to one of the customer service members on this forum. Just my thought, I hope you get it resolved.
Thank you for your input! I'll bring up the ecm/tcm to the other dealer i'm taking it to on Monday, hopefully they have a better insight than the previous dealer as to what's happening.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #8
modru2004

Drives: 2018 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCamaroSS View Post
Thank you for your input! I'll bring up the ecm/tcm to the other dealer i'm taking it to on Monday, hopefully they have a better insight than the previous dealer as to what's happening.

from what ive read the transmission is supposed to be flushed a minimum of 3 times and the torque converter replaced. sounds like they only did it once.

really need a new dealer at this point if they aren't capable.

that being said as someone else mentioned you've had it in enough times to lemon law it and just be done with it. especially since its not your only issue.
modru2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:51 PM   #9
BlkCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
from what ive read the transmission is supposed to be flushed a minimum of 3 times and the torque converter replaced. sounds like they only did it once.

really need a new dealer at this point if they aren't capable.

that being said as someone else mentioned you've had it in enough times to lemon law it and just be done with it. especially since its not your only issue.
Thanks for your post.

Correct. They flushed the transmission on 2 occasions (3 flushes each time), and they replaced the torque converter 3 times and then replaced the entire transmission (which i believe comes with a new torque converter so technically 4 torque converter changes). Definitely going lemon law route, but it's taking some time so i was just curious if some of the things (especially the traction issue as it's a safety hazard) had happened to someone else so i can have those fixed in the meantime as it could take months to lemon and it's my daily driver.

Last edited by BlkCamaroSS; 03-17-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:33 PM   #10
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Jesus. Two weeks to replace a torque converter,and three weeks to replace a transmission? Someone doesn't know what the hell they are doing.Every time your car is worked on ,gets worse .Sounds like pinched wires , maybe ground wires left off.Makes one think ,how many bolts left out.And the slap in the face of no courtesy car. Where are you people from GM that "lurk" on this site??
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #11
BlkCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wierd Harold View Post
Jesus. Two weeks to replace a torque converter,and three weeks to replace a transmission? Someone doesn't know what the hell they are doing.Every time your car is worked on ,gets worse .Sounds like pinched wires , maybe ground wires left off.Makes one think ,how many bolts left out.And the slap in the face of no courtesy car. Where are you people from GM that "lurk" on this site??
Thanks for chiming in.

I'm mind blown about it. I purchased the car almost 1 year ago exactly and it has been at the dealer for 66 days (for 6 attempted repairs on the same issue) out of the 12 months so i've actually had it in my possession for only about 9.5 months.

I hope this new dealer i'm taking it to tomorrow can at least figure out the Traction issue as that has been a big safety hazard and i almost ended up in a ditch the other day (not speeding/flooring it or anything, just driving 50mph on a dry sunny day).
Old 03-19-2018, 05:58 AM   #12
TybeeSS

Drives: 2017 2SS Auto
I would also write to the dealer expressing your concerns and provide them this post to show you have shared with forum members your concerns but have been gracious enough not to disparage their name publicly. They should provide some type of compensation for your time and loss of use. While GM built the car, the dealer has been incompetent in trying to fix it.

You may want to wait to see if the new dealer corrects the issues and include a copy of the work order showing what they did and use that as proof the car was fixable by competent mechanics and management.

I am surprised as well by the quality issues as I have expierenced the shudder the NPP rattle and now my convertible roof is making a regular metallic noise over bumps that I need to go back for repairs. This will make the third dealer visit to fix various issues. I do love so much about this car though.
TybeeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:03 AM   #13
BlkCamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TybeeSS View Post
I would also write to the dealer expressing your concerns and provide them this post to show you have shared with forum members your concerns but have been gracious enough not to disparage their name publicly. They should provide some type of compensation for your time and loss of use. While GM built the car, the dealer has been incompetent in trying to fix it.

You may want to wait to see if the new dealer corrects the issues and include a copy of the work order showing what they did and use that as proof the car was fixable by competent mechanics and management.

I am surprised as well by the quality issues as I have expierenced the shudder the NPP rattle and now my convertible roof is making a regular metallic noise over bumps that I need to go back for repairs. This will make the third dealer visit to fix various issues. I do love so much about this car though.
Thanks for your insight, sorry to hear you're having issues as well and i'll definitely keep that in mind. I have been extremely polite with them but that may be the problem as to why they don't really care.

I'm heading to the new dealer in about an hour so we'll see what they say, they are supposed to be a good dealer so i hope they can come up with a fix as the car is just not safe to drive due to the TC issue (on top of that it's raining out today).

I as well love the car and am trying not to have this situation influence that but it's tough. To add to it, every time that dealer returned my car, it was on E with the gas light on and the car was so dirty and had these yellow hard dried stains all over that it would take a few washes to come off (i have this on video but hopefully won't have to use it). I also told the service manager that my car is returned on E every time on top of having it there for 2-3 weeks a time without giving me a loaner and he said "Don't worry, we'll fill your tank for your troubles". After 66 days there and returning it on E every time, they have yet to fill my tank.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #14
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
Lemon law it?
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote