Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-15-2022, 09:00 AM   #1
Romoon

Drives: Chevy Camaro
AFM Squeak

Hello everyone. This post is to let everyone know about an issue i was having with my camaro and the fix for it. My 2020 2SS with performance exhaust (30K mi) recently developed an AFM "squeak" when changing from V8 to V4 mode. From a cold start the system sounded normal with the short "whooshing" of air sound it normally does, to a squeak when everything has warmed up. Took about 10 to 15 mins of driving to get to that point. The dealer confirmed it was caused by the baffle system in the muffler and replaced the muffler. So far so good.

Last edited by Romoon; 04-15-2022 at 12:20 PM.
Romoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:19 AM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
The NPP valve is in the muffler and by replacing the muffler it fixed the AFM valve?

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 12:15 PM   #3
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
My car had a squeaky valve - it was a one second or so long metallic scraping sound. It would chirp when I was going into corners and randomly when accelerating and decelerating. I bought a can of dry lubricant from the dealer, sprayed into the valve housings with the little straw, and it is gone. There is a service bulletin out there too.

The NPP valves can also rattle, and that is a different issue. It literally sounds like a rattle at idle though.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 12:19 PM   #4
Romoon

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
The NPP valve is in the muffler and by replacing the muffler it fixed the AFM valve?
I may have misspoke by using the word "valve".

Quote from the dealer:"Tech confirmed the baffles in the exhaust are causing the noise. We have to replace the muffler assembly."

The squeak I heard was coming from the front of the vehicle (dash area). I'm not sure how the system works, but the new muffler assembly seemed to have fixed the issue.
Romoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 12:26 PM   #5
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romoon View Post
I may have misspoke by using the word "valve".

Quote from the dealer:"Tech confirmed the baffles in the exhaust are causing the noise. We have to replace the muffler assembly."

The squeak I heard was coming from the front of the vehicle (dash area). I'm not sure how the system works, but the new muffler assembly seemed to have fixed the issue.
Ah ok that’s good they fixed your issue. Maybe the NPP was resonating to the front your car traveling through the exhaust.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote