Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #15
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Zack - age doesn't have to be more than just another number and a bigger fire on the upcoming b'day cake. An OE-firm ride is kind of what you make of it, and you don't have to track a 1LE to enjoy a little of its cornering composure through highway ramps and out on the county roads. Take a test drive in one, and don't just drive on the smooth roads.

Any chance you served on a 688-class boat? I was on the shipyard's engineering team for the Los Angeles.

Norm
Old 04-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #16
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I am 55, and was really juiced to get a C7. Test drove several, and it left me with the same dilemma you had. The C7's are gorgeous, but they tight in the cockpit, and a lot harder for me to get in and out of. And there is the extra $20-30k up charge for the same type of driving thrill. The only regret, is the insurance on my camaro's was about 30% more than it would have been for a corvette...go figure?
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:36 AM   #17
Stig eh

Drives: 2017 SS 50th Jan 17 2018
have a 20016 DSOM 2lt corvette bought new in 2016 and have 12000 miles 20000 kms on it and it is a blast ot drive and I like it and will keep it also as am 64 this summer and need to get my bucket list in order

but

also just bought this winter a 2017 5th anniversary in grey and really like it but it is up on the hoist, so not much driving time yet but brought it home 300 miles before storing it

Camaro 2SS is way less money and just as nice

both cars are a little different

buy new if you can, I wish I would have bought a zl1 but up here in Canada they want a premium so not this time, that would have scratched the supercharger itch, but that is OK for now

the corvette is a base, npp but no mag ride and the Camaro has mag ride,

can you rent a 2ss for a week in a auto to see if you like it better, just asking

buy new and the reasons expressed here are all valid

enjoy the journey you will like it as well

stig eh

Last edited by Stig eh; 04-02-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Stig eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:39 AM   #18
SilverBlueSS

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 Hyper Blue
I always say go with the newest you can afford. I have both of what your looking at and their both incredible cars. You cant go wrong either way...

best 1/4 time - 13.14 @ 106.30

2017 2SS Hyper Blue

Best drag times.. 60ft = 1.82 1/8 = 7.82 @ 91.51 1/4 =12.10 @ 115.04
SilverBlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #19
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
You want the NPP and MRC in a SS! IMO the 2018 is a pretty good deal and not much more than buying the used '17 with 21,000 miles. No big deal for the stripes. Whoever does the window tint could probably put stripes on. My '16 doesn't have stripes and didn't want any either but each person has their likes and wants in appearance. Look around and see if you can find what you exactly want in a SS but my advice would be buy a brand new one! Good luck!
Old 04-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #20
Kise

Drives: 16' 2SS, 06' Silverado SS
I drive my 2ss as a daily, I wouldn't worry too much about a8 issues, but there are other issues (rear dif groan, speakers rattle, something that caused clicking on turns, npp valves rattling which ive had in over 10 times to fix, finally they gave me a whole new exhaust... that failed at 20 miles lol). those issue vary and everyone has different issues, some don't have any.
knowing the owner is a valuable aspect of buying used because regardless of age (im 23, drive both of my cars like a grandma most of the time.. probably only WOT 8 times combined ever) alot of people will and do beat the shit out of these cars and WOT every where they go.
I got my 2ss last year and put a wopping 14k on it so I would recommend either low miles or new.
as for a8 or m6 it depends your daily commute and preferences. some people like the afm, in my case I prefer both but a8 for a daily getting 30 MPG.

for the stripes you can have a graphics place do them or your local dealer will do them as well.
and for aftermarket it depends if you want to utilize the warranty if any issues occur because some dealers are generous with minor mods and some will try to nitpick to avoid providing service.

at the end of the day its what you want not other people, make a choice you wont regret!
Kise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #21
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
I know you’ve said the zl1 is too much car, but, if you can find a slightly used 10A zl1 you would probably be as happy as can be. The tranny is way better, all the performance you could ever want, and you’re still saving 10k over a vette.

Good luck!
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #22
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
OP here is my story.

I have wanted a Corvette ever since I was little. But in my younger years I was putting myslef through school then married. The kids came fast and even though things were going very well for us I couldn't bring myself to spend the cash for the dream car.

But once the kids grew up and we paid off all the student loans the wife said go for it, get whatever you want. At the time I was driving a 2013 1LE Camaro. The C7s just came out and a loaded Z51 manual was calling to me.

I drove one and surprisingly I liked driving the 1LE more. It handled just as well, had more room inside, was easier to get in and out of, and was a ton more practical with a back seat that folds down. Of course the Vette was faster. So I decided to twin turbo the 1LE. That took care of the speed deficit and more. It was fun for a while but that car had a sad ending. I wound up next with a 5th gen ZL1 which GM bought back. This led to a CA6 M6 SS. With bolton mods this SS was every bit as fast in every way as a Z51 C7. And it had an almost usable back seat. It really is a practical Corvette with a back seat and to me is even more fun to drive, especially on a long trip.

But after a while that dream car idea still called to me. And I started seeing great deals on ZL1s. There is a Camaro M6 bog builtin by GM that prevents M6 V8 Camaros from being as fast as auto Camaros. I ALWAYS buy manual hi-po cars. But life is for learning, so I drove an A10 ZL1. Long story short there is a Red Hot A10 ZL1 in my garage. My dream car at last! I even bought a car cover for it.

Don't worry about an A8 SS, they are great. but if the launching bog does not bother you the M6 is equally great.

As for price I recently sold my 2016 loaded M6 SS with 13k miles for less than $30K, so the deals are out there if you search and are willing to travel to buy a car. It is a fun adventure! Also as to miles a good portion of those miles were earned going to Atco. So while miles will pull down the value of a car don't let them discourage you from buying a well maintained car like mine was. Miles really do not have a story you can read unless you buy from the original owner.

Good luck!
Congrats on the ZL1 man. I know you were a hardcore M6 guy. So how is the transition to auto treating you aside from the race tracks? I was close to getting a 2017 A8 Z06.. Holding out to see how the ME looks before I get the Z06. ZR1 is out of my price range :(
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #23
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackbo View Post
Hmmmm.... your'e tempting me. I have noticed most dealers aren't as willing to come down as much on the 1LE's.

I was really surprised what a torquey beast the 2SS I drove was, and I'm used to gobs of torque in my STI. What was even nicer was the throttle response; I got so used to all the lag of a Garrett GT35R on a 2.5L I had forgot what quick throttle response was like.

I'm assuming all 2SS's come with limited-slip diff? I had a hard time keeping it from getting loose on the test drive so wasn't sure.
All manual cars have the LSD, and the A8 SS (1 and 2) has the LSD also, so you're safe. This car with an open diff would be a terrible thing indeed.

The 1LE and the ZL1 have an electronic LSD, the SS models have a mechanical one.

If you're down in Columbia at some point you're welcome to drive my '16 2SS M6, but it does have a couple of mods and non-stock tyres so wouldn't be a true representation. It's a lot of fun, though.
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:35 AM   #24
Zackbo

Drives: 14 Ram 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecchi667 View Post
All manual cars have the LSD, and the A8 SS (1 and 2) has the LSD also, so you're safe. This car with an open diff would be a terrible thing indeed.

The 1LE and the ZL1 have an electronic LSD, the SS models have a mechanical one.

If you're down in Columbia at some point you're welcome to drive my '16 2SS M6, but it does have a couple of mods and non-stock tyres so wouldn't be a true representation. It's a lot of fun, though.
Thanks for the info, and offer. I'm originally from Spartanburg and come thru Columbia fairly often.
Zackbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:36 AM   #25
Stig eh

Drives: 2017 SS 50th Jan 17 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoent View Post
I know you’ve said the zl1 is too much car, but, if you can find a slightly used 10A zl1 you would probably be as happy as can be. The tranny is way better, all the performance you could ever want, and you’re still saving 10k over a vette.

Good luck!
yes if you could drive one then you would know for sure

and on the stripe thingy

U can get them painted on before the expel or 3M

do not look for the stripe on the nation wide search as they can be put on at a dealer or auto body or detail shop that does good work. stig eh
Stig eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #26
Zackbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig eh View Post
yes if you could drive one then you would know for sure

and on the stripe thingy

U can get them painted on before the expel or 3M

do not look for the stripe on the nation wide search as they can be put on at a dealer or auto body or detail shop that does good work. stig eh
I know the stripe thingy seems silly, but there's something about the white stripe on the hyperblue that does it for me. Think it reminds me of an original 427 Shelby Cobra.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #27
Zackbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Zack - age doesn't have to be more than just another number and a bigger fire on the upcoming b'day cake. An OE-firm ride is kind of what you make of it, and you don't have to track a 1LE to enjoy a little of its cornering composure through highway ramps and out on the county roads. Take a test drive in one, and don't just drive on the smooth roads.

Any chance you served on a 688-class boat? I was on the shipyard's engineering team for the Los Angeles.

Norm
Nope. Old school boomer. Lewis & Clark 644B. Missile Technician.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #28
HartfordRacingCaptain

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, 2023 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

Norm
I take this as meaning you worked at Electric Boat? Or Newport News? Quite a few of my engineering classmates are at Electric Boat now.

HartfordRacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote