Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 06-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #29
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Glen this is the stuff I was talking about.
http://www.autogeek.net/no-rinse-wash-and-wax.html

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:37 AM   #30
uberjeff

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Thanks for the tip on the PowerStop Z26 pads. I ordered a set tonight and will give them a try. I saw in the thread you linked that there is even a rebate on them right now. I'm right about $100 after rebate from Jegs for front and rear. I'm looking forward to the cleaner wheels.

http://www.powerstop.com/wp-content/...tion-69146.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp800 View Post
As a C7 Z51 owner, we share the same Brembo brakes...and the same awful brake dust.

I have tried two different brands of pads in an effort to quell it. I tried Carbotech 1521 and then the PowerStop Z26. Carbotech was about 50-60% better. The Z26 is 90+% better. Both the Carbotech and PowerStop have the exact same brake performance (to me) in street driving as OEM.

Best part is the Z26 is like $130 total for both axles.

After installing the Z26, I recently switched to gloss black wheels from factory silver. Even after 300 miles of city driving they still looked good. Not perfect up close with a finger swipe, but from 5 feet away you'd really need to know what perfectly clean glossy black wheels look like. They did not magically look 'flat black'. Versus OEM that looked worse than this after 20 miles, this was huge for me... And I do NOT have my wheels treated with anything. The dust that there is basically just sprays off.

Thread on it here in C7 Z51 application (but pad #s are the same for the Brembo 6th Gen SS):

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...rake-pads.html

Also the Z23 pads have been reported to have quite similar performance as Z26 and are even less.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:57 AM   #31
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuy View Post
Glen this is the stuff I was talking about.
http://www.autogeek.net/no-rinse-wash-and-wax.html
Yeah I know ...used it for years, known to detailers as ONR,I moved to duragloss as its the same and cheaper...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #32
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by xp800 View Post
As a C7 Z51 owner, we share the same Brembo brakes...and the same awful brake dust.

I have tried two different brands of pads in an effort to quell it. I tried Carbotech 1521 and then the PowerStop Z26. Carbotech was about 50-60% better. The Z26 is 90+% better. Both the Carbotech and PowerStop have the exact same brake performance (to me) in street driving as OEM.

Best part is the Z26 is like $130 total for both axles.

After installing the Z26, I recently switched to gloss black wheels from factory silver. Even after 300 miles of city driving they still looked good. Not perfect up close with a finger swipe, but from 5 feet away you'd really need to know what perfectly clean glossy black wheels look like. They did not magically look 'flat black'. Versus OEM that looked worse than this after 20 miles, this was huge for me... And I do NOT have my wheels treated with anything. The dust that there is basically just sprays off.

Thread on it here in C7 Z51 application (but pad #s are the same for the Brembo 6th Gen SS):

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...rake-pads.html

Also the Z23 pads have been reported to have quite similar performance as Z26 and are even less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjeff View Post
Thanks for the tip on the PowerStop Z26 pads. I ordered a set tonight and will give them a try. I saw in the thread you linked that there is even a rebate on them right now. I'm right about $100 after rebate from Jegs for front and rear. I'm looking forward to the cleaner wheels.

http://www.powerstop.com/wp-content/...tion-69146.pdf
YES!! This is exactly what I need. 120-ish for these pads? Heck I thought I'd spend well over $200 for just the pads alone. This is 100% worth it to me. Cleaning my car is easy. The wheels take much longer than going over the rest of my car (unless I'm doing a complete wash/rinsh/seal job of course). It will cut my time way down.

UberJeff...I'm going to be hounding you for your opinion of these pads at some point over the next few weeks lol.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #33
xp800

Drives: 2015 C7 Z51 A8 Stingray
FWIW, here's an even newer thread with a C7 Z06. A bit more quantitative approach to the differences between the Carbotech and Z26. I'm not sure if it would matter, but the Z06 pads are larger than the ones for the '16+ Camaro SS / C7 Z51:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...rake-dust.html

It aligns well with my personal experience. A tape swatch with the OEM pads would look black by comparison.
xp800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #34
MovieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Yeah I know ...used it for years, known to detailers as ONR,I moved to duragloss as its the same and cheaper...
I am looking for that now. Would that be the aqua wax?

Life after retirement
Old 06-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #35
Glen e

Duragloss rinseless with aquawax
Old 06-11-2016, 11:26 AM   #36
MovieGuy

Thankyou I found it. What I am not finding is the concentration. Do you use 1 oz of this to 2 gallons of water like I do Optimum?

Nevermind I found it on Autogeek. And thankyou for your input.

Life after retirement

Last edited by MovieGuy; 06-11-2016 at 11:34 AM. Reason: update
Old 06-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #37
Glen e

I find the concentrations for all rinseless products to be not exactly what they always recommend. I always start out small, like 1 ounce to 4 gallons because I can always go up. If it leaves any film on the windows, it's too much. After doing many washes I become experienced with how much I need to use, because the dirt on the car is not always an equal amount is the last wash.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #38
MovieGuy

With my optimum I found less than 1 oz per two gallons didn't seem to have enough lubricity, I started getting the film at 1 oz per gallon. So I always worked between those two numbers.

I wash my car every Saturday morning to get it ready for cruise night. It is almost always just dust I am washing off. Once in a while I get a little dirt from a puddle I couldn't avoid on the road

Life after retirement
Old 06-12-2016, 09:09 AM   #39
mjw930

Drives: 2015 Porsche BGTS, 2016 2SS
I did the Carbotech's on my Z51 and was happy with the results but based on the anocdotal results on the C7's from those links I think I'll do the Powerstop Z26 pads on the SS.

Shame on me for not properly bedding the factory pads but I've noticed lately some grabbiness as you roll to a stop, especially when they are cold with the stock pads and they absolutely dust up a storm, just like every other Brembo factory pad I've ever used. Since the SS will probably never see a track I'm not as concerned with their ultimate capabilities, the smoothness and low dusting are more important for us since it's my wife's DD.

The only issue I can see is a part number discrepancy. Their website lists the Z26-1474A front pads and most of the vendor websites say the Z26-1474 is the proper pad. I'll call Powerstop Monday to clarify then order from the lowest cost stocking dealer.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:58 AM   #40
Ajrothm

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Good posts and info!

I'll be ordering up a set of pads today...

Various rinses/treatments/cleaners is not solving the problem...

2016 C7 Z06, A8
Laguna Blue
10.66@129.15
Ajrothm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:10 AM   #41
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
I did the Carbotech's on my Z51 and was happy with the results but based on the anocdotal results on the C7's from those links I think I'll do the Powerstop Z26 pads on the SS.

Shame on me for not properly bedding the factory pads but I've noticed lately some grabbiness as you roll to a stop, especially when they are cold with the stock pads and they absolutely dust up a storm, just like every other Brembo factory pad I've ever used. Since the SS will probably never see a track I'm not as concerned with their ultimate capabilities, the smoothness and low dusting are more important for us since it's my wife's DD.

The only issue I can see is a part number discrepancy. Their website lists the Z26-1474A front pads and most of the vendor websites say the Z26-1474 is the proper pad. I'll call Powerstop Monday to clarify then order from the lowest cost stocking dealer.
Did you get information on the correct pad to use?
Old 06-24-2016, 07:41 PM   #42
Raybreiding

Drives: 2016 CAMARO SS2
Wheel polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drags1998 View Post
Haven't seen any threads on this yet, Is it just Me, or are the Brake Pads on the Camaro REALLY giving off ALOT of dust? Mine has 1200 miles now and it seems that My Brite Silver Split Spokes are always DIRTY!!! I think I know why Black Wheels are SO popular now.LOL!!!
Try a good quality wheel polish like chemical guys. Less dust accumulation and what dust there is comes off easier
Raybreiding is offline   Reply With Quote