Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-29-2020, 06:13 PM   #1
Spykit

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Redline Edition
TIME TO BUY TIRES - RUN FLAT OR NO?

At around 21,000 miles my stock Eagle F1s are getting a bit low on tread. I am not too happy with the Eagle F1s and not very happy with overall ride, tread life and cost of run flat performance tires. Has anyone switched to a good performance non-run flat like Michelin Pilot Sport 4S? And if so, what did you do for a spare tire solution? Was looking at this:

https://modernspare.com/product/2016...including-zl1/

A little about usage: This car is often driven by my wife. It's not driven on the track but I would like the option if I decide to. I do drive the car up on the canyon roads here in LA so breaking and handling is important. We don't drive in cold weather often but I also want it to be safe in the rain.

Just looking for opinions and experiences. Thank you.
Spykit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:17 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
stock run flat tires suck had the ps4s since i replaced the oem garbage tires and never looked back they are a great daily/weekend fun tire that you can also use in canyons and on track
Old 04-29-2020, 06:46 PM   #3
Spykit

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Redline Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
stock run flat tires suck had the ps4s since i replaced the oem garbage tires and never looked back they are a great daily/weekend fun tire that you can also use in canyons and on track
Good info. Thank you. Did you do anything for a spare?
Spykit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:30 AM   #4
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spykit View Post
At around 21,000 miles my stock Eagle F1s are getting a bit low on tread. I am not too happy with the Eagle F1s and not very happy with overall ride, tread life and cost of run flat performance tires. Has anyone switched to a good performance non-run flat like Michelin Pilot Sport 4S? And if so, what did you do for a spare tire solution? Was looking at this:

https://modernspare.com/product/2016...including-zl1/

A little about usage: This car is often driven by my wife. It's not driven on the track but I would like the option if I decide to. I do drive the car up on the canyon roads here in LA so breaking and handling is important. We don't drive in cold weather often but I also want it to be safe in the rain.

Just looking for opinions and experiences. Thank you.

You're on the ball with your plan already. The Michelins are the best you can provide for your car. Absolutely no complaints from anyone so far that I know of so far. They also deal with the rain a lot better than the OEM tires.

As for the spare, modern spare is exactly what I was going to recommend as well. If you generally don't travel far you can get away with no spare at all but better safe than sorry especially if it's your wifes daily.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #5
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
absolutly get the Michelins. I dont have the PS4s because they had just come out and were more expensive then the pilot super sports i bought. but from what i read they are better than the PSS so they have to be great tires.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:49 AM   #6
kropscamaro16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spykit View Post
Good info. Thank you. Did you do anything for a spare?

nope no spare just send it and wish for good luck
Old 04-30-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
JCunningham

you could get a kit tire pump fix a flat kit for the 1le or zl1
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 04-30-2020, 12:09 PM   #8
kropscamaro16

i have a can of fix a flat lol never used it and been in there for a few years so its probably bad already
Old 04-30-2020, 10:46 PM   #9
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
I love my run flat OEMs. They perform fine on Florida roads. Even in the rain
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:18 AM   #10
JCunningham

dont think you know what you missing. with the new stock 245/40/20 275/35/20 i would have to slow down below the speed limit in the rain (55mph zone) or i would hydroplane. With the 285/30/20 305/30/20 Michelin pilot super sports I can do 65 and no hydroplaning at all.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:20 AM   #11
indyz

Lol sure. It seemed fine at high speeds. I don't track it more than once a year anyway. I love the performance and the handling in the rain. Tires are almost worn out now and I haven't felt it hydroplane ever. Maybe you should slow down a bit in the rain lol.

I do have a lead foot. So I can emapthise. But 65 in the rain is what I do on the highway. Maybe even 70-75 depending on the limits. Check the pressures?

I absolutely love the convenience of the run flat. Just keep on driving.

I guess I'll have to keep on missing out on the super performance of the michellins since I don't go racing in the rain
Old 05-01-2020, 04:43 AM   #12
JCunningham

like i said i would have to slow down in the rain. with the MPSS i dont have to. They can displace the water faster. and i usually do 60. Police dont pull you over here until 66. You may have better roads. im in ny so roads are junk. hay they work for you were you drive thats all that counts. the stock tires sus=re are better than the pzeros the 5th gen had. those were junk. if it was a moderate rain you were doing 45 and corners were hairy.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:46 AM   #13
indyz

Yeah I guess Florida roads are better and with the constant construction and the resulting road hazards, I prefer the convenience of run flats.

And I'll just not race in the rain lol
Old 05-01-2020, 04:49 AM   #14
JCunningham

60s not getting rear ended here