Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-26-2015, 11:50 PM   #1
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Trunk Size/Shape and Subwoofer Boxes

The trunk on the '14:

Seems dramatically different from the Gen 6:

Generally I build my sub boxes: https://imgur.com/a/DQWYI

But on my '14, I decided to buy a pre-made box, since it had the right interior space, and was made of several pieces that fit the funky curves and bumps in the trunk.

(I have front-firing so i can actually still use my trunk without worrying about damaging my speakers, or having to find grills that actually fit the excursion of the cones.)

Well I'm wondering what to do with the '16. I'm pretty sure the box won't fit, the trunk is dramatically different. I wouldn't mind cutting my teeth on doing a fitted fiberglass box, but I would hate to screw up and get epoxy resin on the paint, or carpet, or something.

Thoughts?

(BTW, I'm running two 12" SSA GCONs)
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Can almost guarantee it is completely hollow behind the false side walls it just like the 5th gen.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:20 AM   #3
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Probably hollow behind those side panels. Could build 2 boxes each side. If its wide enough i would build one to still front fire the subs. Since it has flat sides would be easy to give clean look.

Similar to my current box
Old 10-16-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
This will be one of my 1s mods. Im actually thinking about that Kicker self contained unit that goes behind drivers wheel well.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:38 AM   #5
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
(BTW, I'm running two 12" SSA GCONs)
How do you like the GCONs? I'm considering either doing 2 GCONs, or 1 ICON, but I've never been able to hear either in person.

I have a phenomenal box builder that lives by me, so my plan is to do a birch 4th order bandpass through the rear armrest (if the car has one), or through the rear dash (if there's no armrest). I'm not sure if I want to do stained birch to match the color of my car, or cover it in carpet that matches the trunk, so that it looks like there is no enclosure in the trunk. The box design with take up the entire width and height of the trunk to save depth. With the carpeting, it will just look like the trunk is a little smaller in my car, which will help prevent theft, but leaves you with nothing to show off lol.

I wasn't sure how it would work, until the builder showed me an Impala in his shop with two 12s that was consistently hitting 155 on the termlab, all while having almost no trunk rattle. That enclosure went through the rear dash because the Impala didn't have an armrest, and I believe he said the rear seat didn't fold down.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #6
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Man, 155 db, that's loud... I haven't hit that since my teenage years. I'm more into SQ sealed boxes with infinite resonance nowadays, I guess.

As for the GCON, they aren't the prettiest thing, but paper cones still sound great and even. They have like 20mm of x-max extrusion. The only issue I had was a tiny bit of lead slap that was taken care of with a dab of hot glue. I'm pushing them with an Audiopipe 1800 watt amp that I received as a prize on a forum contest. It's surprisingly efficient, and with the gain so low, there is little to no distortion.
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
Man, 155 db, that's loud... I haven't hit that since my teenage years. I'm more into SQ sealed boxes with infinite resonance nowadays, I guess.

As for the GCON, they aren't the prettiest thing, but paper cones still sound great and even. They have like 20mm of x-max extrusion. The only issue I had was a tiny bit of lead slap that was taken care of with a dab of hot glue. I'm pushing them with an Audiopipe 1800 watt amp that I received as a prize on a forum contest. It's surprisingly efficient, and with the gain so low, there is little to no distortion.
I am in no way trying to get that loud lol. I just want some quality low end authority for a daily driver. Everyone I've talked to has positive feedback on the sound quality of the SSA line, but seeing them in person is like seeing a ghost.

I have a Sundown SA now, but I want to try something different in my next vehicle. It gets loud, but I'm not crazy about the sound it produces.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote