Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-12-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
Camaro1LTBA

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Android Auto?

My budget has went from $30K max to a 2SS with NPP and black bowties (don't think I need anything else lol). I see that AA is standard on the 7" and will be coming later for the 8".

I guess my question would be is Android Auto going to be an OTA software update or will it only be included in later builds? Since I've decided that I'm likely going all out now, I may have to wait and do a drivetime lease since mine will be up in a few months. That should be interesting if needed lol.

I will be going to the tour in Philadelphia and will ask if I get a chance unless there is something official. Just don't want to spend over budget and miss out on some great tech. Will be purchasing this time.

Thanks!

Posted from my BlackBerry 10
Camaro1LTBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #2
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Available in march via an dealer service visit update. There is a thread in the audio section btw.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:09 PM   #3
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
I read somewhere that AA basically sends all OBDII data to their servers...what was that i was reading....

Oh, something about Ferrari going apple play only because apple doesn't require all the data AA does.

edit: it was Porsche for the new 911

http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/06/porsch...-android-auto/

"Stuff like vehicle speed, throttle position, coolant and oil temp, engine revs—basically Google wants a complete OBD2 dump whenever someone activates Android Auto …"
Old 10-12-2015, 09:13 PM   #4
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I read somewhere that AA basically sends all OBDII data to their servers...what was that i was reading....

Oh, something about Ferrari going apple play only because apple doesn't require all the data AA does.

I thought it wasnt connected via bluetooth?
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:

"Stuff like vehicle speed, throttle position, coolant and oil temp, engine revs—basically Google wants a complete OBD2 dump whenever someone activates Android Auto …"
Apples OS is a simplistic locked down system and does not have to conform to tons of different manufacturers of mobile devices, hence the more complex setup for Android Auto which would require a larger size in software needed in car manufacturers infotainment systems.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:46 PM   #6
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Apples OS is a simplistic, monopolized, locked down system
Corrected.
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #7
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whis View Post
Corrected.
Lol, yes it is!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:09 PM   #8
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
Quote:

Wtf? Seriously? How long until insurance companies get ahold of this info? I hit full throttle daily on a freeway on ramp. Do I really need this info shared? It's an open roadway and fun to to hit at 70-80 mph for a short time.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:29 PM   #9
G Fo12ce

Drives: '16 2SS
The article I read said Porsche made that decision shortly after Google announced Android Auto at last years Google I/O. Then it said it was very unlikely that newer versions would be the same. Chevrolet said in a response to the above that Android auto only has access to info like if the car is on and the gear position for lock out proposes to restrict certain apps when you are driving. Nothing else, I wouldn't worry about it.

The 8" screen update will be a free dealer software update. See this release:

CHEVROLET CONFIRMS ANDROID AUTO UPDATE
Software update will be available for eight-inch MyLink radios in March 2016
2015-09-23

Print Print Send Email Word Share Add This
DETROIT – Chevrolet will offer Android Auto compatibility via software update to U.S. consumers who buy select 2016 model year vehicles equipped with an eight-inch MyLink system. The update will be available starting in March 2016 exclusively through Chevrolet dealers.

Earlier this year, Chevrolet announced it will offer Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility in more 2016 models than any automotive brand. The 14 Chevrolet models include vehicles ranging from the brand’s most affordable car, the all-new 2016 Spark, to its highest performance model, the Corvette Z06.

“Thanks to the hard work and determination of our engineering team, Chevrolet consumers who use Android phones will not have to compromise when choosing which MyLink system meets their needs – both the seven-inch and eight-inch systems will offer Android Auto capability,” said Alan Batey, president GM North America and Global Chevrolet. “We are working with our dealers to make the software update as quick and easy as possible to minimize any inconvenience to our owners.”

Chevrolet has a strong track record when it comes to broad availability of customer-centric innovation. It was the first brand to introduce Siri Eyes Free functionality and the first car company to offer available OnStar 4G LTE connectivity across a range of cars, trucks and crossovers in the U.S. and Canada. In less than one year, Chevrolet has connected more than a half-million customers to high-speed 4G LTE Wi-Fi.

Using either application is simple in a compatible 2016 Chevrolet. A “Projection” icon on the MyLink screen is visible when a phone is not connected, then changes to indicate either Apple CarPlay or Android Auto (whichever is applicable) when a compatible phone is connected via USB. Android Auto requires a phone running the Android Lollipop 5.0 operating system or higher, while Apple CarPlay requires an iPhone 5 or later. The user interfaces themselves are designed and developed by Apple (for Apple CarPlay) and Google (for Android Auto).

Compatible apps need to be downloaded to a phone before using. Apple and Google’s privacy statements and terms of use apply. Data plan rates will also apply.
G Fo12ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:03 AM   #10
LOBBS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

Google, Ford and Chevy have all come out with statements proving this was false since the Porsche article came out. AA really only needs access to the OBDII to determine if the vehicle is in motion for navigation purposes. I'll dig up a link.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/10...to-is-running/

Android Auto and Apple Play could both, in theory, be granted the kind of access that Porsche described. Perhaps, very early in development, there was talk that spooked Porsche engineers into not wanting to give up their "secret sauce" of tuning dynamics. Or it was a complete misunderstanding.

Last edited by LOBBS; 10-13-2015 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Added link
LOBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:05 AM   #11
Camaro1LTBA

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Thank you all so much for the replies and info. Sorry, was unaware there was an existing thread in the auto section.

I'm kinda bummed that BlackBerry is essentially dropping their BB10 OS for Android, but they really don't have a choice. I'm able to run every Android app that is not in BlackBerry World on my Passport since it has the Android Runtime built in and it is the smoothest OS on the market.

Anyway, with just governments and customers truly concerned about privacy and security buying BB10, their handset division is not currently profitable. Devs won't build apps unless people buy the OS, people won't buy until the apps are there. BlackBerry doesn't have the cash to buy devs. The move to Android is their only shot.

I'm well aware that Google collects basically everything from you. Very successful business model for them and nobody seems to care. Would never buy into iOS so really looking forward to Android Auto. Glad that it will be a simple software update for those that purchase earlier.

Fun fact: both Android Auto and Apple's CarPlay run on top of BlackBerry's secure QNX servers.

Thanks again for the info! Very helpful as always.
Camaro1LTBA is offline   Reply With Quote