Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 05-13-2021, 09:43 AM   #631
AustinTXracer

Drives: 20 SS 1LE
Week late, but here is my Beeville champ tour video. The car had 4 drivers again, CAMC and BS. Weather was a known factor heading in, so I arranged to have my Conti ECS and Falken 660's available. It was soaking wet Saturday and totally dry Sunday. Saturday went awesome on the Conti's - we were walking on water compared to everyone else in that heat. Sunday was totally dry and CAMC ran before BS. One of my codrivers decided to go for a hero run on the Falkens and slapped the car fully sideways through the finish lights at 70+MPH on his last run which flat spotted all 4 tires and actually wore through the cords almost down to the steel belts in the left front tire. Soo, we put the Conti's back on for DRY runs and just went for a codriver raw time battle. We had 5+ seconds in hand from the wet day performance, so we just needed a clean run to take 1-2. Can confirm, Conti's are in the 2-3 seconds slower range from the top 200TW tires in the dry on a mid 60 second concrete course :(
https://youtu.be/lrBE2w3bBFo
Old 05-14-2021, 11:10 AM   #632
94boosted

Drives: ‘17 1LE, ‘17 BMW 340, ‘18 F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTXracer View Post
Week late, but here is my Beeville champ tour video. The car had 4 drivers again, CAMC and BS. Weather was a known factor heading in, so I arranged to have my Conti ECS and Falken 660's available. It was soaking wet Saturday and totally dry Sunday. Saturday went awesome on the Conti's - we were walking on water compared to everyone else in that heat. Sunday was totally dry and CAMC ran before BS. One of my codrivers decided to go for a hero run on the Falkens and slapped the car fully sideways through the finish lights at 70+MPH on his last run which flat spotted all 4 tires and actually wore through the cords almost down to the steel belts in the left front tire. Soo, we put the Conti's back on for DRY runs and just went for a codriver raw time battle. We had 5+ seconds in hand from the wet day performance, so we just needed a clean run to take 1-2. Can confirm, Conti's are in the 2-3 seconds slower range from the top 200TW tires in the dry on a mid 60 second concrete course :(

Nice runs John! How many total runs did you get out of the 660's?

Was that a bit of ice mode at the ~1:05 mark?
Old 05-14-2021, 01:30 PM   #633
AustinTXracer

Drives: 20 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
Nice runs John! How many total runs did you get out of the 660's?

Was that a bit of ice mode at the ~1:05 mark?
I actually didn't get a single run on the Falkens that weekend. They had @75 runs at the point where they were unceremoniously destroyed. Still plenty fast and still had @5/32" on them.

I don't recall any 'ice mode' stuff from this event. 1:05 was just straight braking into a very wet section to avoid ruining the run :P
Old 05-14-2021, 02:54 PM   #634
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTXracer View Post
Wow, I hope your co-driver is helping out with a new set! If the tires are even available...

That's an issue with co-drivers, in CO it seems impossible to get insurance for timed events and friends who are interested rarely want to be responsible for crashing it, money shifts, etc... however unlikely it may be. I never even thought of ruining tires!
Old 05-18-2021, 10:39 AM   #635
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28

Got my first ever Top Pax!

Next race is June 5th/6th at UMI against some SCCA ringers. Mark Daddio, Randy Atkins, Jason Thomas, etc...

Going to try to win it back to back!
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:22 PM   #636
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White

Chicago tour in the books.

Day one... will be one to forget. We were the first group out on a dirty course. While everyone had to deal with this issue the Camaro on this tight course was not having it. I was able to put in a first fun clean, all over the place but clean. The last two I hit cones... had a hard pedal issue and just an overall disaster. I left after day 1 in 5th well out of 1st as Tony like always was killing it. I was not happy and while I had all these excuses I blamed myself. I did not feel even with the grip I drove to what was available.

Day two. A new day, while we cant start at zero, I can clear my mind and go for raw times for the day. Tony again killed it but I managed to pull a 64.0 and .5 off Tonys time. The car felt a ton better today and I changed nothing but what was in my head. Also the track was cleaner today for us in the morning and I felt it in the grip.

I left day two having moved from 5th to third, and for how far back I was after day one I am extremely happy with that.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:34 PM   #637
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI

I have no idea where I finished because we are in the stone age in terms of timing results. Somebody has to manually type it in. Enjoy the blooper reel in the last 15 sec or so. Code brown moment. Had to turn the right front to full lock to pull a cone out of the suspension after that one!

Last edited by funked1; 05-24-2021 at 10:12 AM.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:16 AM   #638
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
First even with the Miata. Was only 18th PAX when I likely would have been top 5 in the Camaro. But the purpose of taking the Miata is to shake it down before doing track days with it. It drives drastically different from the Camaro. The back end loves to rotate off the throttle and it doesn't have enough power to plant the back end with the gas pedal once it's kicked out. I wasted a few runs just trying to rotate the car around elements, but had to catch the slides since I couldn't power it out of them. This was the final run when I started to take the different approach of staying on throttle through elements to keep it settled.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:04 AM   #639
funked1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post

Got my first ever Top Pax!

Next race is June 5th/6th at UMI against some SCCA ringers. Mark Daddio, Randy Atkins, Jason Thomas, etc...

Going to try to win it back to back!
Well done sir!
Old 05-24-2021, 10:08 AM   #640
funked1

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post

Chicago tour in the books.

Day one... will be one to forget. We were the first group out on a dirty course. While everyone had to deal with this issue the Camaro on this tight course was not having it. I was able to put in a first fun clean, all over the place but clean. The last two I hit cones... had a hard pedal issue and just an overall disaster. I left after day 1 in 5th well out of 1st as Tony like always was killing it. I was not happy and while I had all these excuses I blamed myself. I did not feel even with the grip I drove to what was available.

Day two. A new day, while we cant start at zero, I can clear my mind and go for raw times for the day. Tony again killed it but I managed to pull a 64.0 and .5 off Tonys time. The car felt a ton better today and I changed nothing but what was in my head. Also the track was cleaner today for us in the morning and I felt it in the grip.

I left day two having moved from 5th to third, and for how far back I was after day one I am extremely happy with that.
Glad you had a better day the second time. I enjoy your videos, inspires me to chuck the car around a little more and work on hand positioning.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:04 PM   #641
apexit53

Videos from spring Nats

COLD COLD COLD. Day one and two of event one were just cold. BS was the first class off. Day one felt good though, event with the lack of power down we were able to maintain some speed and put in some fast times. Ended up 1st by a decent margin but the lotus was struggling with tires all weekend. He's fast and kept pushing me though. Day two the lotus raw timed be by .2 but I had some safe clean runs since I had a decent lead day 1.

Event 2 started off wet..ish. I made a call to go to my rains but after run 1 it was clear there wasn't enough water out there for the PS4S tires and swapped back to the falkens. My last run was the fastest but everyone else was fast that run as well given the drying line starting to show. went into day 2 with a .2 lead.
Day 2 was alll POWER. Wow was it fast. top of second at least twice. Fun and open. I struggled a little since my bar was on full stiff in the rain. you can see the end sweeper on day two in the slum it wants to push. but ill give it up there for the confidence I had in the high speed areas on this course. Fun weekend, kinda. Just wish the weather was like Monday everyday.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 06-06-2021, 01:09 PM   #642
conemark

Drives: Boost Coupe Stewie formerly '01 Z28
Video of the first outing of the new to us 2018 Camaro 1LS in D-Street from ysterday's local NNJR SCCA event. I asked my friend Tony Savini to co-drive to provide feedback and coaching. He managed a P3 finish in a car that we basically put some RE-71R's in front and Rival S 1.5's in the rear. I came in a distant P4, but am happy to see some potential with more seat time and prep.

As always, feedback and critiques are welcome - https://vimeo.com/559578651
conemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #643
apexit53

Peru Champ tour videos.

Car felt good and we were in the hunt with these pesky BMWs lol. Overall a few mistakes but I am happy with my driving. Felt that the bmw would pull out of those digs better than me and I wasn't wrong. but glad I could stay within the noise.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 06-06-2021, 08:43 PM   #644
clyde

Drives: broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by conemark View Post
Video of the first outing of the new to us 2018 Camaro 1LS in D-Street from ysterday's local NNJR SCCA event. I asked my friend Tony Savini to co-drive to provide feedback and coaching. He managed a P3 finish in a car that we basically put some RE-71R's in front and Rival S 1.5's in the rear. I came in a distant P4, but am happy to see some potential with more seat time and prep.

As always, feedback and critiques are welcome - https://vimeo.com/559578651
There's an eerie similarity to the Saturday NJ Tour course there.

I'd expect you to quicken up as you figure out the brakes better. The car really needs you to get on the gas hard and early. Does the car feel really tight? The car should be looser than it looks in the video. It doesn't look very free and I don't think I saw you move your hands to catch it once.

I'm sure Tony's feedback will be more useful. Look forward to seeing it in action in Bristol.
clyde is online now   Reply With Quote