Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-22-2021, 06:08 AM   #15
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_LT1 View Post
Will Check if coolant level is low. Car is charging up hill for 3-5 minutes of sustained higher RPM stuff. ambient temps were only in the 70s. Car had no issues but 240+ seems high. Seems like most of you guys are driving in flatter areas so maybe the climbing is the factor pushing up temps.

One of the twisties I put the Camaro on was in the Ozarks (only did the Ozarks once) where it ran the hottest and it did have grades don't remember how steep they were but the road had a slow vehicle lane for slower cars going up the hill. The twisty I have around me does have hills but smaller than the Ozarks ones. The one near me parallels the Missouri River and I have downhill pic look below its steeper than the picture shows.

We do have grades here all the flat stuff is much farther west.
Attached Images

Last edited by Devstrike; 06-22-2021 at 07:13 AM.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #16
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
The LT1 model is designed as a street car. The SS is track capable. You basically reached the limit of what the LT1 can do. Oil at 250 is not too high as these synthetics are designed for it but you were at your limit.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #17
BrandanK

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
The LT1 model is designed as a street car. The SS is track capable.
This is 100% FALSE.

While GM doesn't warranty the car in a track environment, the LT1 trim has the same oil cooling as the SS. The SS only adds the rear differential cooler.

Based on the public data that we have, the LT1 should see no difference in oil temps during hard driving. Only thing I can think of is if the LT1 front bumper offers slightly less air flow.

GM not offering the track warranty is strictly a bottom line cost reduction. This reduces the chance that GM will need to payout warranty work if the car was used on track.

BK

Last edited by BrandanK; 06-22-2021 at 09:27 AM.
BrandanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:10 AM   #18
Devstrike

The SS has the two outboard small additional engine radiators (except convertibles) that the LT1 does not. Also if you have an M6 LT1 you do not have a transmission cooler.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:48 AM   #19
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
On my 2SS the coolant temp runs at about 200. Oil never goes more than 10 degrees above that. From what I read, if you push the car you can get oil 30 degrees above coolant temp. But really 50 degrees sounds too high.

I would check oil and coolant levels.
Then I would compare oil and coolant temps during normal driving. They should match once everything warms up. It is possible the thermistor in the oil sensor is reading too high. Not likely, but maybe.

Also, what are the oil pressures? If pressure is getting too high it is possible the filter is partially clogged and the bypass valve is not opening. This effect will be more dramatic during "spirited" driving.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:28 PM   #20
LA_LT1

Drives: Chevy Camaro LT1, BMW M3
Not sure what oil pressures are, on the LT1 you can only view one non speed or RPM data point at a time. Coolant levels are fine and oil was changed 1,000 miles ago. The high temps probably have to due with the lack of additional coolers combined with running the car hard for 5 minutes uphill.
Moral of the story is if you are going to drive hard, get the SS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
On my 2SS the coolant temp runs at about 200. Oil never goes more than 10 degrees above that. From what I read, if you push the car you can get oil 30 degrees above coolant temp. But really 50 degrees sounds too high.

I would check oil and coolant levels.
Then I would compare oil and coolant temps during normal driving. They should match once everything warms up. It is possible the thermistor in the oil sensor is reading too high. Not likely, but maybe.

Also, what are the oil pressures? If pressure is getting too high it is possible the filter is partially clogged and the bypass valve is not opening. This effect will be more dramatic during "spirited" driving.
LA_LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:23 PM   #21
Devstrike

There is a selection when viewing battery voltage oil temp trans temp etc to see the oil pressure. Your oil temps seem to be too high which is why I think the poster above mentioned the oil pressure. If you fluid levels are fine then I am not too sure because the only thing I see limited on the LT1 is its not track ready but I drove it hard today on a hilly twisty 60 mph road with limited to no traffic on it since mine is going into the body shop for a week or two soon and I wanted to have some fun with it. I drove it spiritedly and hard for 10-15 miles on this road from start to right before civilization appeared and the speed limit dropped. The oil temp showed as 216 and the outside temp was 92 according to my cars outside temp gauge. A bank sign near my home confirmed the outside temp.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:05 AM   #22
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
On my 2017 I can see the oil pressure in the standard view. I get oil press, engine temp, fuel level, and battery voltage.
You don't need to see oil press and oil temp simultaneously. If filter bypass valve has a problem, oil pressure will shoot up when engine revs increase.
The nice thing about a bypass valve problem is you just fix it with an oil/filter change.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:43 PM   #23
LA_LT1

Drives: Chevy Camaro LT1, BMW M3
Do you know what the elevation change was? On the loop I went on it's over 1,000 FT from bottom to top. Just cruising to work today my temp oil temp was 200. Surface streets , normal throttle inputs. Outside temp 75degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
There is a selection when viewing battery voltage oil temp trans temp etc to see the oil pressure. Your oil temps seem to be too high which is why I think the poster above mentioned the oil pressure. If you fluid levels are fine then I am not too sure because the only thing I see limited on the LT1 is its not track ready but I drove it hard today on a hilly twisty 60 mph road with limited to no traffic on it since mine is going into the body shop for a week or two soon and I wanted to have some fun with it. I drove it spiritedly and hard for 10-15 miles on this road from start to right before civilization appeared and the speed limit dropped. The oil temp showed as 216 and the outside temp was 92 according to my cars outside temp gauge. A bank sign near my home confirmed the outside temp.
LA_LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:27 PM   #24
Devstrike

I unfortunately do not know what the elevation change was but I can try to find out the steepness of the grades I would put at 7% or so. The route consists of several climbs and sharp curves. The Ozarks that I put my Camaro on put the twisty route I mention to shame though and that was my hottest temps at 220 range when on the ozarks I would have to look up elevations for the Ozarks too.

I was going to reply earlier but I needed to pick up my meds and the doctor put it in the wrong CVS so I had to drive 10 miles down the interstate for that location. I took the Camaro instead which is why I replied a bit later. That being said normal interstate driving speeds of 65-80 with AC on and outside temp of 89 degrees my oil temps fluctuated from 195-200 degrees so your cruising temp pretty much matches mine.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:56 PM   #25
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_LT1 View Post
Do you know what the elevation change was? On the loop I went on it's over 1,000 FT from bottom to top. Just cruising to work today my temp oil temp was 200. Surface streets , normal throttle inputs. Outside temp 75degrees.
Seems normal to me. My ZL1 runs about that when cruising and city driving.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:06 PM   #26
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
The hottest ambient temperature I have tracked my SS 1LE in was 98°F near the end of September 2019 at COTA during this session around 2:30pm with the sun beating down and the car was not bothered by the 273°F max oil temperature! I was using the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 oil though. 5W-30 oil may have thinned out too much at that temperature which is probably why it is not warranty approved for track use for the SS and SS 1LE.
Name:  COTA PDR Temperatures.JPG
Views: 1783
Size:  42.8 KB

And here are more detailed lap by lap temperatures from Harris Hill (a smaller track) last week around 6:30pm when it was 91°F and sunny outside. Ambient and car temperatures from Eagles Canyon Raceway the day before were similar.
Name:  Harris Hill PDR Temperatures.JPG
Views: 2069
Size:  119.9 KB

To address the OP's original question, I have been fine with running oil temperatures higher than the 250°F mentioned in the first post for a cumulative total of a few hours each year over the last few years. Personally I would not try it without running 0W-40 Dexos 2 oil and I would not do it regularly. And with the LT1 trim it is probably wise to watch temperatures closely when driving on twisty roads due the the reduced cooling capacity compared to the SS and SS 1LE.

EDIT: There are a few ZL1 guys on here who have hit oil temps in the 290°F range on track without posting about having issues later on:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...1#post10821841

"Just as oxygen causes a cut apple to brown or exposed metal to rust, it breaks down base oils and reduces motor oil’s effectiveness. Oxidation can lead to increased oil viscosity, which negatively affects energy efficiency. It also causes the formation of harmful deposits and sludge.
The rate of oxidation for oil doubles for every 18°F increase in temperature."
https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/mot...-deteriorates/

I also found this from 2005 but I imagine oil technology has improved since then:
"To begin with, we spoke to Quaker State engineer Mark Farner about what goes into this new generation of synthetic engine oils and what kind of advantages they promise. Synthetic engine oil has always enjoyed a reputation both for its high-pressure lubrication performance and also its ability to withstand much higher engine oil temperatures than conventional petroleum-based oil. Conventional oils will tolerate engine oil sump temperatures of up to 250 to as much as 275 degrees F without difficulty. According to Farner, oils like Quaker State's full synthetics can easily withstand sump temperatures in excess of 300 degrees F, and he says that some oval track race teams are experimenting with temperatures as high as 350 degrees F.

For a typical wet-sump engine, 300 degrees F is still extremely hot, but Farner says that synthetics, because of their molecular makeup, are better suited to withstand these temperatures. The downside is that additive packages do tend to break down faster in high-temperature environments, so if you plan on running oil temperatures in excess of 300 degrees, this would mean changing the oil after every track event regardless of the mileage."
https://web.archive.org/web/20060627...116_0409_slip/

Blackstone Laboratories sells oil analysis kits and they can measure your remaining additives (TBN) for an extra $10 above the $30 base UOA price if you want to take a sample during your next oil change and send it in. "The lower the TBN reading, the less active additive the oil has left. A low TBN test result, meaning very little additive is left, is down around 1.0 or lower."
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/do-i-need-a-tbn/
Here is a street driving example of 4k miles with TBN at 5.9 even though the Camaro oil life monitor was showing only 2% oil life remaining: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=50
And here is 5k miles including 7 track days with TBN at 4.0 with Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 oil: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=16

Last edited by cdrptrks; 06-24-2021 at 11:57 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:01 AM   #27
OB0001
2018 SS A8 11.85@117.06

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS A8 "Dark Knight"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
The hottest ambient temperature I have tracked my SS 1LE in was 98°F near the end of September 2019 at COTA during this session around 2:30pm with the sun beating down and the car was not bothered by the 273°F max oil temperature! I was using the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 oil though. 5W-30 oil may have thinned out too much at that temperature which is probably why it is not warranty approved for track use for the SS and SS 1LE.
Attachment 1072033

And here are more detailed lap by lap temperatures from Harris Hill (a smaller track) last week around 6:30pm when it was 91°F and sunny outside. Ambient and car temperatures from Eagles Canyon Raceway the day before were similar.
Attachment 1072034

To address the OP's original question, I have been fine with running oil temperatures higher than the 250°F mentioned in the first post for a cumulative total of a few hours each year over the last few years. Personally I would not try it without running 0W-40 Dexos 2 oil and I would not do it regularly. And with the LT1 trim it is probably wise to watch temperatures closely when driving on twisty roads due the the reduced cooling capacity compared to the SS and SS 1LE.

EDIT: There are a few ZL1 guys on here who have hit oil temps in the 290°F range on track without posting about having issues later on:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...1#post10821841

"Just as oxygen causes a cut apple to brown or exposed metal to rust, it breaks down base oils and reduces motor oil’s effectiveness. Oxidation can lead to increased oil viscosity, which negatively affects energy efficiency. It also causes the formation of harmful deposits and sludge.
The rate of oxidation for oil doubles for every 18°F increase in temperature."
https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/mot...-deteriorates/

I also found this from 2005 but I imagine oil technology has improved since then:
"To begin with, we spoke to Quaker State engineer Mark Farner about what goes into this new generation of synthetic engine oils and what kind of advantages they promise. Synthetic engine oil has always enjoyed a reputation both for its high-pressure lubrication performance and also its ability to withstand much higher engine oil temperatures than conventional petroleum-based oil. Conventional oils will tolerate engine oil sump temperatures of up to 250 to as much as 275 degrees F without difficulty. According to Farner, oils like Quaker State's full synthetics can easily withstand sump temperatures in excess of 300 degrees F, and he says that some oval track race teams are experimenting with temperatures as high as 350 degrees F.

For a typical wet-sump engine, 300 degrees F is still extremely hot, but Farner says that synthetics, because of their molecular makeup, are better suited to withstand these temperatures. The downside is that additive packages do tend to break down faster in high-temperature environments, so if you plan on running oil temperatures in excess of 300 degrees, this would mean changing the oil after every track event regardless of the mileage."
https://web.archive.org/web/20060627...116_0409_slip/

Blackstone Laboratories sells oil analysis kits and they can measure your remaining additives (TBN) for an extra $10 above the $30 base UOA price if you want to take a sample during your next oil change and send it in. "The lower the TBN reading, the less active additive the oil has left. A low TBN test result, meaning very little additive is left, is down around 1.0 or lower."
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/do-i-need-a-tbn/
Here is a street driving example of 4k miles with TBN at 5.9 even though the Camaro oil life monitor was showing only 2% oil life remaining: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=50
And here is 5k miles including 7 track days with TBN at 4.0 with Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 oil: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=16
Thanks for that helpful information
Old 02-17-2024, 07:42 AM   #28
ox11888

Drives: 2022 lt1
Saw this post after my concern the other night. It was mid 40s in ny last week and I took her out for a spin. Found a willing highway dance partner lol and did a couple pulls and saw my temp at 240 which was concerning. Stock 2022 lt1
ox11888 is offline   Reply With Quote