#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-22-2021, 09:36 PM   #1
digitalgulby
ZLB1LLY

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1, 2019 Lexus GX460
Looking for some input from road track drivers

Hey there. Been a lurker for awhile now and wanted to make a post. I don’t typically do forums but I used to be way into it. Looking to dive back in!

This last weekend I went to Road America with some friends for a PCA event. Had an awesome time, my ZL1 A10 was a blast! I was in the pro group (don’t belong there) but still managed to do ok on a mismatched set of tires (which really bothers me and I will replace the set) and zero experience at this track. This was my first track session in this car.

I am looking for any input for anyone who tracks their ZL1. It has great power but does feel a little too floaty for my taste at speed. Does the 1LE solve for this? Would putting the 1LE Aero pieces on help at all? I know better tires will help a ton but looking to be a little more confident out there next time. Looking for any input or resources. Hoping I get sucked into the community forum because I sure do love the car!

Thanks!

Also including my new vanity plate hope y’all like it!
Attached Images

digitalgulby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:45 PM   #2
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
Yes, the ZLE really helps for the floaty feeling... that's mostly the rear cradle bushings... you can get the OEM Solid Aluminum ZLE Bushings to resolve, or the BMR lockout versions. Either will help greatly reduce the float feel.

The aero wouldn't hurt from a ZLE either!

Best regards,
Dave
Old 06-22-2021, 09:51 PM   #3
digitalgulby
ZLB1LLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums View Post
Yes, the ZLE really helps for the floaty feeling... that's mostly the rear cradle bushings... you can get the OEM Solid Aluminum ZLE Bushings to resolve, or the BMR lockout versions. Either will help greatly reduce the float feel.

Best regards,
Dave
Awesome, exactly the kind of feedback I’m looking for. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2021, 11:54 PM   #4
airtroop01

Drives: 2018 Cadillac CTS-V
I used the BMR lock out bushings since I couldn’t get the solid aluminum bushings at the time. I also got tubular arms with the heim joints - the BMR ones are also nice. The factory arms are made out of flimsy metal and I swear I could bend them in half over my knee. Anyway, the two helped the floaty feel at speed.

The magnetic ride and the ELSD also allow a little more compliant ride than I like but the more I learned to drive this platform at speed, I have liked the fact it helps the car rotate around corners better.

Last edited by airtroop01; 06-23-2021 at 01:24 AM.
airtroop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:28 AM   #5
CasualGuy

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE | ‘19 MX-5 Miata 30AE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums View Post

Best regards,
Dave
^ What Dave said. The first time I drove a friend’s non-1LE on track, there was so much float I thought something was wrong with the car. It’s a really unsettling feeling when powering out of turns, especially compared with how planted the ZLE feels.

That friend soon replaced the rear cradle bushings, and it made a world of difference. Within a year, though, he traded in his ZL1 for a ZLE and hasn’t looked back since.
CasualGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:21 PM   #6
digitalgulby
ZLB1LLY

This is great feedback guys. It seems like the ZLE solid bushings are a little harder to come by, but may be a little less punishing for a street car. Do you agree?

Have others reported success by putting on ZLE aero pieces onto their ZL1’s?

I want to be able to hang a little better with my gt3 friends. I realize seat time, better tires are most helpful but I also want to feel comfortable pushing the car without completely ruining it as a street car.

This forum rocks by the way been finding a lot of good stuff in here when searching.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:28 PM   #7
airtroop01

Drives: 2018 Cadillac CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalgulby View Post
This is great feedback guys. It seems like the ZLE solid bushings are a little harder to come by, but may be a little less punishing for a street car. Do you agree?

Have others reported success by putting on ZLE aero pieces onto their ZL1’s?

I want to be able to hang a little better with my gt3 friends. I realize seat time, better tires are most helpful but I also want to feel comfortable pushing the car without completely ruining it as a street car.

This forum rocks by the way been finding a lot of good stuff in here when searching.
Definitely. You should find a 1LE to ride in and see what your kidneys can deal with. For me the 1LE wasn’t bad initially but the roads and highways where I live can be crap so the MR and compliance of the lockout bushing kit were better than going full race car.
airtroop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:34 PM   #8
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
OP when you mean floaty, do you mean the regular ZL1 not feeling stable enough during hard turns at speeds and want better handling like the ZLE?
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:43 PM   #9
digitalgulby
ZLB1LLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by airtroop01 View Post
Definitely. You should find a 1LE to ride in and see what your kidneys can deal with. For me the 1LE wasn’t bad initially but the roads and highways where I live can be crap so the MR and compliance of the lockout bushing kit were better than going full race car.
I live in MN, our roads are straight up garbage here. That’s a big reason I didn’t go ZLE because I was too concerned it would be too rough for street use.

That’s good feedback thanks mate.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:47 PM   #10
digitalgulby
ZLB1LLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls_Camaro View Post
OP when you mean floaty, do you mean the regular ZL1 not feeling stable enough during hard turns at speeds and want better handling like the ZLE?
I’ve never been in one. When I was doing 140+ on road America the car just didn’t feel very stable, like there was float in the suspension. Not a lot, but enough to notice and make me want to address it.

Since I just bought the car and paid a lot of tax on it I’d prefer not to trade to a ZLE (yet). Just looking to make the car feel a little more secure on track without completely sacrificing the ride quality.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:01 PM   #11
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
I thought there was a way to tune/modify the MagneRide control to make it even stiffer for more hardcore track use.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:13 PM   #12
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalgulby View Post
I’ve never been in one. When I was doing 140+ on road America the car just didn’t feel very stable, like there was float in the suspension. Not a lot, but enough to notice and make me want to address it.

I think you’ve got two issues, I’ve felt them both. The suspension float is 100% bushings. (My friend Casualguy from above nailed it). The bushings are a VAST improvement.

The second issue is different. The ‘floaty’ feeling over ~130 is aero. I pulled data from Road Atlanta, and the rear of the car gets higher…and higher over 100. Raised ~1” at 140, compared with front end dropping 1” at same speed. It gives you a feeling like the rear end is buffeting side to side. The ZLE doesn't do that. Yes…I went ZLE and didn't look back, but its not my daily and I do ~15 track days a year.
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #13
digitalgulby
ZLB1LLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1 View Post
I think you’ve got two issues, I’ve felt them both. The suspension float is 100% bushings. (My friend Casualguy from above nailed it). The bushings are a VAST improvement.

The second issue is different. The ‘floaty’ feeling over ~130 is aero. I pulled data from Road Atlanta, and the rear of the car gets higher…and higher over 100. Raised ~1” at 140, compared with front end dropping 1” at same speed. It gives you a feeling like the rear end is buffeting side to side. The ZLE doesn't do that. Yes…I went ZLE and didn't look back, but its not my daily and I do ~15 track days a year.
That is very good insight! Sounds exactly like what I experienced at Road America! Great to know. I guess I will have to decide if I want to just go ZLE or make a few mods. I am kicking myself a little for not trying a ZLE before buying the ZL1 but I just drove it and bought it next day.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:04 PM   #14
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
I've had both and the ZLE is super solid compared to the mag ride ZL1. Get a BMR rear cradle bushing lockout for sure...not too bad to install and use new bolts!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote