Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-21-2021, 06:22 PM   #1
Crushed 1LE

Drives: 2022 ZL1(FEA suspension) Rapid Blue
Steering Effort setting - Confirmation needed

When I put the car into TRACK / PTM 1, 2 or RACE, the steering goes to the hardest setting regardless of what I select on the infotainment screen. In any other mode (Touring, Sport etc) I can overide no problem.

Is my computer broken? Is this normal? I need to know as I prefer the Touring setti g on the track as opposed to the REALLY heavy Track calibration. Not only is it heavy, but it also appears to be a 'slower' ratio.

If you guys could confirm or deny, it would save me time yelling at my GM service guys lol.
Crushed 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:32 PM   #2
unleaded28

Drives: 2019 ZL1 M6
Just tied mine In race mode on way home with steering set to tour. The steering reverted to track mode (felt like at least) just as you described .
unleaded28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:11 PM   #3
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Logic would make me believe that it would revert to track for steering. I'll try mine out tomorrow.

It only feels slower because it requires more input at slower speeds.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:12 AM   #4
Crushed 1LE

But even when I'm in PTM and go back to the screen and select Touring nothing physically changes to the steering Effort.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:50 AM   #5
Vigilante375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushed 1LE View Post
But even when I'm in PTM and go back to the screen and select Touring nothing physically changes to the steering Effort.
Since you select track and then whatever PTM setting then the steering would stay in the track setting even if you try to change it in the menu.

Try going to competitive mode and see if it feels like the steering is in sport and if you can change it.

I can't drive the car today due to bad weather so I'll try this when I can.

If you look at this thread, which you might have already, and look at the excel picture at the bottom of the first post. It tells you what the steering will be set to.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496996
Old 06-22-2021, 12:03 PM   #6
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Since you select track and then whatever PTM setting then the steering would stay in the track setting even if you try to change it in the menu.

Try going to competitive mode and see if it feels like the steering is in sport and if you can change it.

I can't drive the car today due to bad weather so I'll try this when I can.

If you look at this thread, which you might have already, and look at the excel picture at the bottom of the first post. It tells you what the steering will be set to.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496996
I went to that thread too after seeing this thread thinking that in PTM modes, the steering automatically goes to Sport/Track mode. However, these lines from the PTM Demystified thread confused me:

Quote:
Also note, it is possible to lock Steering, Suspension and Exhaust sound into specific modes, using Infotainmemt settings menu. If you do it, they will stay in those settings permanently and won't be over ridden. For example, many prefer Touring mode for steering effort. This means the steering mode will stay in Touring, even if you select PTM, or other track modes.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:32 PM   #7
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
If I set the steering in sport or tour it stays there regardless of changing modes or entering PTM.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:26 AM   #8
Crushed 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
If I set the steering in sport or tour it stays there regardless of changing modes or entering PTM.
Really? This is what I was looking for. What My is your ride?
Old 06-23-2021, 09:46 AM   #9
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
'18 SLE

Yes, that's the whole point of having those settings, you can set steering, suspension and exhaust independently of the mode the car is in. The only thing you can't change is the throttle mapping.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:45 AM   #10
Vigilante375

Quote:
I just tried this in my car while having the steering and suspension set to TOUR in the settings menu. Remember that I have a non-1LE ZL1 so disregard the suspension stuff.

Sport comp mode; suspension and steering stayed in Tour.

Track>PTM in Sport 1, 2 or Race; suspension and steering stayed in Tour.

While Sport comp or any of the PTM modes were active, I went into settings>drive modes and changed the steering from Tour to Sport to Track, the steering changed each time

You are certain that the steering in the menu showed a check mark next to it and you were driving straight? I know if you change the steering settings while the car is turning, even the slightest, it'll stay in whatever setting before changing to the one you selected until the car is driving straight.

I would have thought that being in Sport comp or Track PTM modes, it would set the steering to sport or track.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:00 PM   #11
Crushed 1LE

Thanks guys. This is the info I needed. Something is wrong. Whem I'm in PTM, the steering defaults to Track regardless of what it says on the infotainment screen.

Could this be unique to the 1LE programming?.... I doubt it.

Also, you guys keep talking about COMP mode. I didn't think this mode was available on ZL1 couples. I thought it was for the convertibles and the SS?
Old 06-23-2021, 06:06 PM   #12
Vigilante375

Quote:
Thanks guys. This is the info I needed. Something is wrong. Whem I'm in PTM, the steering defaults to Track regardless of what it says on the infotainment screen.

Could this be unique to the 1LE programming?.... I doubt it.

Also, you guys keep talking about COMP mode. I didn't think this mode was available on ZL1 couples. I thought it was for the convertibles and the SS?
Well if a ZL1 1LE owner would chime in then we could see if it's only specific to the ZL1 since an SS 1LE owner chimed in.

Comp mode is, if you didn't know, putting the car into sport and double pressing the traction button just like you do when in track mode. You just don't get to choose wet, sport 1, etc.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:26 PM   #13
semif18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE White
Mine stays in whatever mode i select on the screen regardless of what PTM mode I have selected. I have it Sport all the time. Never changes, even when putting car in Track mode.
semif18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:55 PM   #14
ht600

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
When I put the car into TRACK / PTM 1, 2 or RACE, the steering goes to the hardest setting regardless of what I select on the infotainment screen. In any other mode (Touring, Sport etc) I can overide no problem.

Is my computer broken? Is this normal? I need to know as I prefer the Touring setti g on the track as opposed to the REALLY heavy Track calibration. Not only is it heavy, but it also appears to be a 'slower' ratio.

If you guys could confirm or deny, it would save me time yelling at my GM service guys lol.
My 2019 ZL1 non-1LE does exactly as you describe.

My old 2017 SS 1LE the steering would stay in the mode I selected.

I also thought my 2019 isn't responding correctly.

I just live with it I guess?
ht600 is offline   Reply With Quote