Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-15-2019, 06:52 AM   #1
Bwrin

Drives: Camaro
Need more headroom

I recently purchased a 2019 2SS with sunroof and am having issues with headroom. I previously had a 2016 LT/RS without the sunroof and had no issue. Not sure how I didn’t notice during the test drive, I assume because I had the sunroof open and the wind was blowing, but my hair brushes the headliner in the afternoon/evening. I have to actually adjust the seat in the morning because it’s much worse (slightly taller in the morning). I make it work by putting the seat all the way back, but it’s too laid back for my taste.

The dealer isn’t helping me out when I requested to swap for a non-sunroof model, so I’m trying to figure out what my options are.

Is there anyway to fab the seat rails, or different seat rails perhaps? If I purchased the stock Recaro seats that come in the 1LE, would that give me any more room? Only other thing I can think of is getting racing seats, but would prefer to avoid that because I want to retain the factory airbags and heated/cooled seats.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Bwrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:55 AM   #2
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Did you sit in the car before you bought it ?

Racing seats and raials can reduce overall height, but see ya later airbags, etc.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:02 AM   #3
Bwrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Did you sit in the car before you bought it ?

Racing seats and raials can reduce overall height, but see ya later airbags, etc.
I did, yes. The issue wasn’t apparent at the time. It’s mostly an issue in the morning and is mostly fine later in the day.

Yeah that’s my concern, the airbags. That’s why I’m mostly curious about how the Recaro seats in the 1LE would be.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
Yanniz

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwrin View Post
I did, yes. The issue wasn’t apparent at the time. It’s mostly an issue in the morning and is mostly fine later in the day.

Yeah that’s my concern, the airbags. That’s why I’m mostly curious about how the Recaro seats in the 1LE would be.
I’m totally confused why it’s an issue only in certain times of the day, does your height change throughout the day? 😊

Maybe you can remove the seat and see if anything can be done w/the bracket to lower it.
Yanniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #5
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
In the morning sometimes you tend to sit a little more higher in the seat while in the afternoon you lay a little more down since you are getting tired. I have the same situation in my Tiburon where even if the seat belt adjustment on the shoulder is at the lowest point, it will run against my neck (annoying...). But it is worse in the morning.

Maybe try to see with the dealer if they can convert your purchase to a lease and if you ever find someone who's willing to buy back your lease you could then buy another without the roof? It's worth trying...
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #6
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
The seat mounting brackets SHOULD NOT be messed with. They are structural and integral to the occupant safety. You can have some foam shaved off the seat cushion to gain that 1/2 inch- any good auto upholstery shop can do that.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #7
Bwrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanniz View Post
I’m totally confused why it’s an issue only in certain times of the day, does your height change throughout the day? 😊

Maybe you can remove the seat and see if anything can be done w/the bracket to lower it.
Yep! You’re actually almost 1/2” taller in the morning. Your spine compresses during the day, that’s why later in the day, it’s not a huge issue. My hair might brush the headliner depending on how I’m sitting.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #8
Bwrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
The seat mounting brackets SHOULD NOT be messed with. They are structural and integral to the occupant safety. You can have some foam shaved off the seat cushion to gain that 1/2 inch- any good auto upholstery shop can do that.
I was worried about messing with the frame for that very reason. I’ll look into the foam thing.

Do you have any idea if the Recaro seats would help out?
Old 06-15-2019, 11:16 AM   #9
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Shave your head. Problem solved.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:15 PM   #10
RLem619

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS A10
Haha... I thought he was rocking a perm or something, and it flattened out throughout the day. I'd never heard of the spine compressing throughout the day, then again mine is mostly made of Titanium, so probably not compressing too much.

The sunroof must really cut into headroom? My 16 year old son is a little over 6'6" and when he drives my 19 2SS, it's snug, but his head doesn't rub the liner (non-sunroof).

Are you getting full adjustment with the seat controls? Able to lower the seat fully?

RLem619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #11
Bwrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLem619 View Post
Haha... I thought he was rocking a perm or something, and it flattened out throughout the day. I'd never heard of the spine compressing throughout the day, then again mine is mostly made of Titanium, so probably not compressing too much.

The sunroof must really cut into headroom? My 16 year old son is a little over 6'6" and when he drives my 19 2SS, it's snug, but his head doesn't rub the liner (non-sunroof).

Are you getting full adjustment with the seat controls? Able to lower the seat fully?
Haha. Yes, it definitely does. My previous 2016 Camaro didn’t have a sunroof and it was never an issue or something that crossed my mind, which is why I guess I never thought twice about it. It makes me wonder if my seat doesn’t sit as low as the other one I test drove at the dealer. I actually never test drove the one I bought, I drove one identical, just a different color.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time adjusting settings to find a balance. It’s actually not a problem if I recline the seat back all the way, but I just feel so disconnected from the car being in that position. I’ve moved the seat closer to the wheel and moved the wheel down a little, and that helps. It’s just annoying because I want to sit up more.

Think I’m going to stop by the dealership and sit in the one I test drove to find out if I’m crazy or not. Wouldn’t it be wild if my seat had an issue and wasn’t going down all the way.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #12
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Does your car have Easy-Exit feature ? Where it slides seat to "exit" position ?

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #13
Bwrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Does your car have Easy-Exit feature ? Where it slides seat to "exit" position ?
Yes it does
Old 06-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #14
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I’m thinking that Camaro QC might have a good idea for you and I really don’t think switching out the seats to Recaros will help your situation. The Recaros are expensive too!

Tags
headroom, recaro, seats