Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #1
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Wideband Oxygen Sensor Gauge

Hey guys,

Doing a little planning ahead and want to avoid an LT-4 paper weight.

1. What is everyone doing for wideband gauges?
2. Does the LT4 have wideband O2's from the factory?
Old 12-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #2
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
No, GM still isn’t using factory widebands. Wish they were. I plan to install one myself for tuning and monitoring, but I’m not sure how critical it really is on a mildly modified LT4. I’ve always watched my widebands like a hawk in my stock bottom end / forced induction LS builds, but this motor is a different animal. I don’t think very many owners here are using one.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #3
DSX Tuning

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
If you’re interested in getting one, I stock the ECM AFX2. It’s what Ballenger sells without being relabeled. ECM makes the equipment all the OEMs use.

It pairs well with the HP Tuners nGauge.
DSX Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

I'm just following my playbook on my Cobra.

1. Wideband 1st
2. Pulley 2nd
3. I found that a lot of "dyno" tunes end up with lean throttle tip in and lean spots at heavy (50-90%) throttle positions. You're in boost, but maybe not enough throttle to trip the "WOT" fuel tables. Everything looks spiffy on a dynojet, but you lean out during certain conditions on the street, like feathering the throttle all the way through first gear or a highway on-ramp.

Questions:
1. Is there a perference on which bank to install the wideband? Does one bank run leaner than the other?
2. Is there a good website or forum for the Ntuner gauge? The NTuner Website looks like it was designed in 1996.
3. Can you hook up a laptop to the Ntuner for datalogging?
Old 12-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #5
DSX Tuning

Are you referring to the nGauge? Unfortunately it cannot flash 17+ Camaros. You’d need full HP Tuners for that.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #6
rjacobs

Drives: none
I have always had good luck with the PLX stuff. They have something that works for every situation. They can typically tie into their own gauge, other gauges, computers, phones, etc... They use genuine Bosch A/F sensors too.
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #7
wstaab

Drives: 69 Z28, 2018 ZL1 1LE
This one: http://www.aemelectronics.com/?q=pro...and-uego-OBDII
CAN-bus integration and validated to work with EFILive, HPTuners and DashDaq software.
you need a bung installed pre-cat on the passenger side manifold for the 02 sensor.
wstaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:20 PM   #8
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Thanks. I didn't know this existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstaab View Post
CAN-bus integration and validated to work with EFILive, HPTuners and DashDaq software.
you need a bung installed pre-cat on the passenger side manifold for the 02 sensor.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #9
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstaab View Post
Watching that video in the link, that 5th gen must have been spitting fuel out the exhaust it was so rich
Old 12-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #10
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
I'm just following my playbook on my Cobra.

1. Wideband 1st
2. Pulley 2nd
3. I found that a lot of "dyno" tunes end up with lean throttle tip in and lean spots at heavy (50-90%) throttle positions. You're in boost, but maybe not enough throttle to trip the "WOT" fuel tables. Everything looks spiffy on a dynojet, but you lean out during certain conditions on the street, like feathering the throttle all the way through first gear or a highway on-ramp.

Questions:
1. Is there a perference on which bank to install the wideband? Does one bank run leaner than the other?
2. Is there a good website or forum for the Ntuner gauge? The NTuner Website looks like it was designed in 1996.
3. Can you hook up a laptop to the Ntuner for datalogging?
A wideband is definitely needed if you’re going to do your own tuning. I’ve street tuned my last 2 cars with excellent results using a permanently installed wideband. Since most guys don’t do their own tuning, most don’t install them. I like having one for monitoring, but I think whether it’s really needed depends on how far you’re planning to go. I’m not nearly as worried about shattering pistons on this car as I was on my 700 whp LS3 car.

And I’d take any advice Dave (DSX Tuning) gives you. Dude is the best GM tuner I’ve ever come across.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:48 PM   #11
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

The automotive basics don't change from vehicle to vehicle. I know a lot of people don't think it is necessary, but they are probably living in ignorant bliss.

Things like fuel pump volume change over time or that mineshaft air day pegs your mass-air-flow meter.

Do LT4's have MAF's?

I'm used to 25 years of Ford systems with MAF transfer tables and multipliers.

Does someone have a website or forum they can recommend on GM tuning?

The best tunes on my Cobra were mail order tunes with tweaking from data logging on the street and the track. I've got a flat 11.5 - 11.7 AFR regardless of what is happening. There is a red warning light that comes on if AFR is above 12.2 at wide open throttle, so I know to lift. I got used to looking at my injector duty cycles and fuel pump duty cycles on all my drag runs.

Is the ZL1 fuel system non-return?

Last edited by Badmojo; 12-22-2017 at 09:54 PM. Reason: added more info
Badmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:47 AM   #12
DSX Tuning

Quote:
The automotive basics don't change from vehicle to vehicle. I know a lot of people don't think it is necessary, but they are probably living in ignorant bliss.

Things like fuel pump volume change over time or that mineshaft air day pegs your mass-air-flow meter.

Do LT4's have MAF's?

I'm used to 25 years of Ford systems with MAF transfer tables and multipliers.

Does someone have a website or forum they can recommend on GM tuning?

The best tunes on my Cobra were mail order tunes with tweaking from data logging on the street and the track. I've got a flat 11.5 - 11.7 AFR regardless of what is happening. There is a red warning light that comes on if AFR is above 12.2 at wide open throttle, so I know to lift. I got used to looking at my injector duty cycles and fuel pump duty cycles on all my drag runs.

Is the ZL1 fuel system non-return?
For tuning, the HP Tuners forum is a good place to start.

These vehicles use a MAF combined with speed density to operate in what GM calls "dynamic airflow" mode. The MAF is the primary measurement device, but the speed density side is used as both a sanity check and also an assistant with transient conditions. Being DI, you won't want to use traditional fueling ratios in power enrichment though... 11.5 (or 0.78 lambda) would be way too rich.

The ZL1 fuel system is returnless. There is a low side pump feeding a high side pump, just like a diesel.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #13
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Thanks for the information. Why would 11.5 be too rich measured at the header? I'm used to 11.5 - 11.9 for forced induction and 13.3 - 13.5 for naturally aspirated engines regardless of configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX Tuning View Post
For tuning, the HP Tuners forum is a good place to start.

These vehicles use a MAF combined with speed density to operate in what GM calls "dynamic airflow" mode. The MAF is the primary measurement device, but the speed density side is used as both a sanity check and also an assistant with transient conditions. Being DI, you won't want to use traditional fueling ratios in power enrichment though... 11.5 (or 0.78 lambda) would be way too rich.

The ZL1 fuel system is returnless. There is a low side pump feeding a high side pump, just like a diesel.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #14
DSX Tuning

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Why would 11.5 be too rich measured at the header? I'm used to 11.5 - 11.9 for forced induction and 13.3 - 13.5 for naturally aspirated engines regardless of configuration.
Direct injection is a completely different ball game when it comes to optimal fueling. You'll find that you'd be way down on power at that ratio. LS stuff likes to be about .78-.80 lambda boosted and somewhere around .84-.86 NA, but LTx stuff is way different!