Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 06-18-2019, 09:14 PM   #1
artey34

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE - Hyper Blue
First ever HPDE day

Hey guys. I just finished up my first ever HPDE day at Gingerman raceway. I have to say, it went quite well for it being my first time!

I was in the novice group but was quickly asked to move up to the advanced group. I stayed novice because the traffic was much lighter

I have a 2SS 1LE that is on stock tires and pads. Only thing changed on it is Castrol SRF and the track alignment.

This was my best lap, a 1:48.00. Not great, not terrible. I let me instructor drive my car and he was at a 1:46.14 so I am not too far off him. Using the Cosworth Toolbox and PDR, I can see where I was making some errors and can be ahead of the instructors time. However, I know some people here are able to get into the low 1:40s. Any advice for a rookie like myself to shave 5+ seconds off? Any advice or tips is great!

Thanks!

artey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:17 PM   #2
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Congrats on your first track day!

To be blunt, since it was your first time, it's apparent you're still getting acclimated to the whole on-track experience. It takes years to become proficient, and that's only in combination with quality instruction and a strong willingness to learn and adapt. Ever hear of "practice makes perfect"? Of course, but it turns out it's not quite right. It really is "perfect practice makes perfect". It starts with good sitting posture, a good attitude, and a strong support team that has extensive success on top of being excellent communicators and coaches.

To shortcut to the good stuff, I strongly recommend reading Ross Bentley's Ultimate Speed Secrets. It's not just the definitive racecraft bible, it's a guide on how to tune your brain to think clearer and more focused.

FWIW, only two of us have been able to get a stock SS 1LE to low 1:41's at Gingerman, check out our laps that are linked on the first post of the Best Track Times thread.

Cheers, be safe, and have fun,
Ryan
Old 06-18-2019, 11:46 PM   #3
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Congrats! I echo Ryephile's thoughts and would also like to suggest 2 other sources of excellent info:

1. Ross Bentley's Weekly Speed Secrets. These are emails that arrive in your inbox every Tuesday for less than a buck a week. Well worth the investment!

2. In addition to Ross' book mentioned above, there is another excellent book worth reading: "Driving on the Edge " by Michael Krumm. No nonsense, easy to read, excellent illustrations and no myths.

In addition, get good quality in car instruction. You dont know what you dont know and just in time feedback is invaluable. I am an old dog, but still ask somebody i appreciate, to share a ride with me at least once a season. And i always pick up something valuable from them.

Dont forget: learning never stops even if you are an F1 champ (yep, those guys do have coaches).

Have bags of fun and play safe! Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:29 AM   #4
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
For being new to the track and new to the sport... looking good!
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:33 AM   #5
artey34

Yes I absolutely plan to have an instructor or someone ride with me a few sessions each track day. You can never learn enough!
Old 06-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
ZZP_Tyler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Congrats on your first track day! I'm sure you're addicted now, and I promise you it only gets worse haha. For the first time out, I wouldn't be worried at all. You have an extremely capable car and platform, and you'll only continue to get faster. I'll echo what everyone else has said about reading Speed Secrets and practice, practice, practice. Don't try and jump up run groups too quickly either. Get as many instructor sessions you can, learning from multiple people with different driving styles can help you find YOUR driving style. My first instructor at Gingerman seemed great, but I never felt quite comfortable. It wasn't until the next time I went out with a new instructor that I felt like I was getting a good line and getting faster. If you can pair up with someone who knows our platform it can make things even better. Good on ya for swapping fluids, that's always the #1 priority.

I'm no expert by any means, but I have gotten my little 4 cylinder down to a 1:44.09 around Gingerman, so I feel like I'm fairly proficient with the course and our chassis. Here's a couple things I noticed while watching.
  • Corner 1 entry speed is low, you have a lot of track out to use for our big cars.
  • You seem to brake earlier and lighter than myself. I like the brake late and hard method, but it's not for everyone.
  • I take the same line through 2, heading towards the blend line triangle then cut in.
  • Flat through 4 is good, most people it takes them a while to get that right.
  • Get on the power much earlier in 6, again room to track out.
  • It seems you spend lots of time not on the gas or the brakes. See entry to 7. You brake, turn, then just seem to coast for a few seconds.
  • 8 and 9 are tough to get down, but you stayed flat through 9 which is great.
  • Get on the power much earlier in 10. 10's a tricky corner though.
  • You can carry wayyyy more speed into 11, once you read up on slip angle it's the perfect corner to be right on the edge.

Also, what area of Michigan are you from?
ZZP_Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #7
artey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZP_Tyler View Post
Congrats on your first track day! I'm sure you're addicted now, and I promise you it only gets worse haha. For the first time out, I wouldn't be worried at all. You have an extremely capable car and platform, and you'll only continue to get faster. I'll echo what everyone else has said about reading Speed Secrets and practice, practice, practice. Don't try and jump up run groups too quickly either. Get as many instructor sessions you can, learning from multiple people with different driving styles can help you find YOUR driving style. My first instructor at Gingerman seemed great, but I never felt quite comfortable. It wasn't until the next time I went out with a new instructor that I felt like I was getting a good line and getting faster. If you can pair up with someone who knows our platform it can make things even better. Good on ya for swapping fluids, that's always the #1 priority.

I'm no expert by any means, but I have gotten my little 4 cylinder down to a 1:44.09 around Gingerman, so I feel like I'm fairly proficient with the course and our chassis. Here's a couple things I noticed while watching.
  • Corner 1 entry speed is low, you have a lot of track out to use for our big cars.
  • You seem to brake earlier and lighter than myself. I like the brake late and hard method, but it's not for everyone.
  • I take the same line through 2, heading towards the blend line triangle then cut in.
  • Flat through 4 is good, most people it takes them a while to get that right.
  • Get on the power much earlier in 6, again room to track out.
  • It seems you spend lots of time not on the gas or the brakes. See entry to 7. You brake, turn, then just seem to coast for a few seconds.
  • 8 and 9 are tough to get down, but you stayed flat through 9 which is great.
  • Get on the power much earlier in 10. 10's a tricky corner though.
  • You can carry wayyyy more speed into 11, once you read up on slip angle it's the perfect corner to be right on the edge.

Also, what area of Michigan are you from?
Awesome thanks! When I saw the video and my %'s on the gas and brake, I knew I coasted too much. That will come with comfort and seat time to get that wayyyyyy down. I think by watching other videos my line is good, but by no means perfect.

I am from Davison (between Flint and Lapeer), but work at GM in Warren and Milford

Side note, when I had my 2004 Monte Carlo Intimidator I used ZZP for all my performance parts!
Old 06-19-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
I'm Glad that You enjoyed it!

It was a Fun Day!

Becky
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
artey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyD@JamesMartinChevy View Post
I'm Glad that You enjoyed it!

It was a Fun Day!

Becky
Yes thanks to you, I got the bug and the monthly budget may shift a little bit haha
Old 06-19-2019, 09:50 AM   #10
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by artey34 View Post
Yes thanks to you, I got the bug and the monthly budget may shift a little bit haha

I understand....

Tire$ - Brake$ & Ga$ .....

... Fun = Pricele$$ -

Becky
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #11
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
nice good stuff! how did you like the stock pads/tires? plan to upgrade or keep them the safe and just drive more?
Old 06-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #12
artey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
nice good stuff! how did you like the stock pads/tires? plan to upgrade or keep them the safe and just drive more?
I liked them. I think for my current standpoint its a solid limit to the car. Plus, the car was tuned and calibrated on with the OEM setup.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:22 PM   #13
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
gotcha well have fun and be safe out there! if you need any racing gear this is where i get all my stuff from

https://store.windingroad.com/articles/landing.htm
Old 06-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #14
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
If you need to buy shoes and gloves specifically, go to a shop where you can try them on, as even different "models" from the same manufacturer have a tendency of fitting differently. Hence buying online is a bit of a crap shoot, unless you know the specific product already.
Ditto helmets of course, but i assume you already have one
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote