Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 06-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #15
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
But the thread started out as an article about a new "Redline" edition for the Blazer.

GM has used Redline before for the Saturn Ion (among other things), and that was definitely a performance version; A supercharged Saturn Ion with upgraded suspension and tuning in addition to appearance modifications and Recaro seats. They even offered Stage upgrade kits that included smaller pulleys and bigger injectors.

So, the complaint is valid. The fact that GM is using the Redline moniker as just another appearance package akin to the RS badge is annoying, at best.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #16
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The first half of your post makes no sense. Either the RS package is an aesthetic package, or its a sport package. Since you're aware that Chevy isn't doing performance versions of their cars, and that the RS package consists of some cosmetic upgrades and a minor suspension tweak ... you have your answer as to what it's for: aesthetics. The RS is NOT a sport variant. Never has been. Still isn't. Nothing has changed except its being used a bit more often now. The Blazer RS doesn't perform any better than a non-RS. A Cruze RS doesn't perform any better than a non-RS. A Camaro RS doesn't perform any better than a non-RS. The Sonic RS has an exhaust upgrade (which could theorhetically increase the power) ... but even then, the RS only has it because you have to bundle the RS lowering kit with the performance exhaust to get either one.

Also, unless I missed something ... I'm pretty sure that Honda, Toyota, Hyundai - Kia, VW, and Nissan all have next to nothing for performance variants on their regular cars. Maybe some of them have one or rarely two with extra performance (Civic type R, for example). But its not on everything by everyone. And only one of those brands has 2 dedicated performance cars (Nissan 370Z & GTR) like Chevy does. Well, unless you want to count Toyota too with the 86 & the reskinned BMW Z4 they're calling a Supra.

Point is, Ford with their ST lineup is a massive exception to the industry. Chevy is pretty close to the norm. You don't have to like what they're doing, but its not as if they're somehow hopelessly behind the trend.

You say that as if they've stopped making Yukons. You can go get one at any GMC dealership. I'm sure its even better at towing than your 20 year old truck is. Off-road? Not sure one way or the other, probably roughly similar.
That is a good point that Ford is seemingly the only one that had a performance variant of every model. At one point they had the Fiesta ST, Focus ST/RS, Fusion Sport, Taurus SHO, Edge Sport (Now ST), Explorer Sport(soon to be ST).

Civic has Type R and SI but you are right not many others have a sporty version of their cars.

I would guess his point is if you are going to offer a "sporty" package make it more than just stickers and paint.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:44 PM   #17
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Look, I would LOVE to see high performance Blazer variant, a sport Silverado, our God willing...a high horsepower version of the Colorado or Canyon.

But some of you guys act like GMs stuff is all crap due to the fact they aren't making more performance stuff. I'm with DGthe3 on this one, but I do feel like there is more opportunity now for performance trims in the newer booming segments (CUVs, and trucks)
Old 06-19-2019, 06:49 AM   #18
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The first half of your post makes no sense. Either the RS package is an aesthetic package, or its a sport package. Since you're aware that Chevy isn't doing performance versions of their cars, and that the RS package consists of some cosmetic upgrades and a minor suspension tweak ... you have your answer as to what it's for: aesthetics. The RS is NOT a sport variant. Never has been. Still isn't. Nothing has changed except its being used a bit more often now. The Blazer RS doesn't perform any better than a non-RS. A Cruze RS doesn't perform any better than a non-RS. A Camaro RS doesn't perform any better than a non-RS. The Sonic RS has an exhaust upgrade (which could theorhetically increase the power) ... but even then, the RS only has it because you have to bundle the RS lowering kit with the performance exhaust to get either one.

Also, unless I missed something ... I'm pretty sure that Honda, Toyota, Hyundai - Kia, VW, and Nissan all have next to nothing for performance variants on their regular cars. Maybe some of them have one or rarely two with extra performance (Civic type R, for example). But its not on everything by everyone. And only one of those brands has 2 dedicated performance cars (Nissan 370Z & GTR) like Chevy does. Well, unless you want to count Toyota too with the 86 & the reskinned BMW Z4 they're calling a Supra.

Point is, Ford with their ST lineup is a massive exception to the industry. Chevy is pretty close to the norm. You don't have to like what they're doing, but its not as if they're somehow hopelessly behind the trend.

You say that as if they've stopped making Yukons. You can go get one at any GMC dealership. I'm sure its even better at towing than your 20 year old truck is. Off-road? Not sure one way or the other, probably roughly similar.
I'm not certain why you get so testy about people wanting true performance variants from GM. Are you married to Mary Barra? I come from a long line (4 generations) of folks that ONLY drive/drove GM and I'd like to see a little performance outside of the Camaro and Vette.

To me, the Sport versions of vehicles are aesthetics and nothing more. More often than not, a manufacturer will place a "Sport" badge on a model, along with some different wheels, paint-matched body cladding and call it a day. Yes, the '13 Explorer Sport (and a few other Ford's) had some suspension bits and an engine swap, but that is out of the norm for most companies. I'm not going to go through every manufacturer and point out every time a company used "Sport" and added a few perf. parts. I'm speaking in terms of "more often than not".

Yes, the RS is nothing more than a sticker & wheel package (aesthetics). If you are happy with that, that's cool by me. However, we are on a Camaro site and for the most part, the members here enjoy performance vehicles. Odd right?

As for the other manufacturers having next to nothing in terms of performance, yes they do. Again, VW has the R, Hyundai has the N (yes, even Hyundai is getting in on it!!!), Nissan has used the Nismo moniker outside of the 350, 370 and GTR, etc.. All I'm saying is that I'd like to see at least one perf. oriented car variation and one SUV/CUV perf. variation. Offering a sticker and wheel package for a ~$2k is nonsense. IMHO, there is no point.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:54 AM   #19
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Look, I would LOVE to see high performance Blazer variant, a sport Silverado, our God willing...a high horsepower version of the Colorado or Canyon.

But some of you guys act like GMs stuff is all crap due to the fact they aren't making more performance stuff. I'm with DGthe3 on this one, but I do feel like there is more opportunity now for performance trims in the newer booming segments (CUVs, and trucks)
I am not saying it is crap. If it was crap, I'd stop buying it. All I'm saying is that, I'd like to see something that grabs your attention.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".

Last edited by DRKS1D3; 06-19-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #20
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Op ya made me laugh.. Yeah performance is what brought us here, but apparently we live in a sticker trim level participation world.. Haha.. we definitely need more performance..
Old 06-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #21
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrs2lt View Post
Op ya made me laugh.. Yeah performance is what brought us here, but apparently we live in a sticker trim level participation world.. Haha.. we definitely need more performance..
Happy to oblige. Just imagine a Sonic SS with ~250hp and a 6-speed manual, with options like: Recaro seats, Brembo brakes, dealer installed Stage kits, etc.. And they could do the same with a Blazer, a Colorado or (?). Other manufacturers are selling these perf. variants and they ARE selling. If they weren't selling, they'd be discontinued and also, more and more manufacturers wouldn't be getting in on this action.

Create low cost perf. models (Sonic SS) that bring in younger buyers who will, in turn, continue to buy GM products because they enjoyed what they bought.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:25 AM   #22
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
A Malibu, a Malibu Maxx, an Impala (not the LT1 powered Impala circa 94-96), S-10 SS, etc..

"Yea, yea, put some stickers on it, different wheels and an "SS" badge. That'll really rev up GM interest!".
I agree with you on the last Malibu SS, SS Maxx, etc. as this should not have happened. I will defend the Impala, however.

The Impala, although a fwd car, had a very potent engine in '06 with the LS4, and even in stock form it would demand respect from a lot of cars. Unfortunately because of its compact powertrain cradle (transmission, driveline), you'd be hard pressed to draw out the engine's true power potential. You were essentially locked into the stock 304 hp. That Impala was capable of dusting the last credible Impala SS, and at least hanging onto the bumper of a stock TrailBlazer SS, also a very credible SS vehicle.

I am hoping that Chevy will develop the midsized sedan platform (ATS) and re-emerge with a new v8 sedan. Other than the Camaro, as it stands the only good platform Chevy has to implement a potent v8 would be the pick-up chassis.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #23
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

My issue with it is, GM has the ability to do it and isn't. I want fun to drive even if I am looking at a SUV or CUV. Ford and Dodge offer me options there. GM does not. A Blazer RS lines up size wise and price with a Edge ST, and the Edge is going to be a hell of a lot more fun to drive and for a buyer like me that would seal the deal.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #24
DRKS1D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
I agree with you on the last Malibu SS, SS Maxx, etc. as this should not have happened. I will defend the Impala, however.

The Impala, although a fwd car, had a very potent engine in '06 with the LS4, and even in stock form it would demand respect from a lot of cars. Unfortunately because of its compact powertrain cradle (transmission, driveline), you'd be hard pressed to draw out the engine's true power potential. You were essentially locked into the stock 304 hp. That Impala was capable of dusting the last credible Impala SS, and at least hanging onto the bumper of a stock TrailBlazer SS, also a very credible SS vehicle.

I am hoping that Chevy will develop the midsized sedan platform (ATS) and re-emerge with a new v8 sedan. Other than the Camaro, as it stands the only good platform Chevy has to implement a potent v8 would be the pick-up chassis.
I forgot about the FWD Impala SS with the 5.3L V8. Yea, it was a stout runner! I suppose I simply feel more inclined to crown a larger sedan as a performance variant if it is RWD. Maybe it's just me.

The TB SS was a freak and they're still very desirable today if you can find one with low mileage. The LS2 and AWD could put a hurtin' on a lot of other vehicles.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #25
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
I forgot about the FWD Impala SS with the 5.3L V8. Yea, it was a stout runner! I suppose I simply feel more inclined to crown a larger sedan as a performance variant if it is RWD. Maybe it's just me.

The TB SS was a freak and they're still very desirable today if you can find one with low mileage. The LS2 and AWD could put a hurtin' on a lot of other vehicles.
That is the trick. The majority of the ones on the market are well driven with over 100,000 miles. 80k miles on a TBSS is considered (laughable) low miles go figure. TBSS was a great trendsetter with your typical GM/Chevy gremlins, that could go, haul, and do it in style and comfort (even if I am a little biased).

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #26
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
GM probably does not build performance variants of SUV's etc because hardly anybody would buy them. Even with the Camaro I see at least ten V6's for every SS.

It's simply not worth the expense.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:56 PM   #27
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
What's the problem?? It is an appearance package that will appeal to younger folks who can't afford the styling the RS trim brings along. As younger folk may consider the standard Blazer styling too plain. Although it has a sunroof and black wheel package currently available which makes it look more aggressive.

I am starting to see a lot of these Blazers on the road nowadays. A month ago that wasn't the case. Good to see GM having success with it.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:05 PM   #28
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
Quote:
Happy to oblige. Just imagine a Sonic SS with ~250hp and a 6-speed manual, with options like: Recaro seats, Brembo brakes, dealer installed Stage kits, etc.. And they could do the same with a Blazer, a Colorado or (?). Other manufacturers are selling these perf. variants and they ARE selling. If they weren't selling, they'd be discontinued and also, more and more manufacturers wouldn't be getting in on this action.

Create low cost perf. models (Sonic SS) that bring in younger buyers who will, in turn, continue to buy GM products because they enjoyed what they bought.
Focus ST? Wasn't the Focus discontinued in the US? Hyundai has a Veloster N and VW has the GTI if you are looking for more affordable fwd performance. SUV performance vehicles aren't really a thing with Hyundai, Toyota, Honda, Chevy, and most other competitors in this segment. Ford has the Edge ST which IMO is outdated interior wise and overpriced. Jeep has the SRT.

If you're looking for milder performance oriented SUVS with good value you can look at BMW, Audi, Volvo, Infiniti, Jeep, etc.... For serious performance you need to pay to play... Alfa Romeo, Audi , BMW M division, AMG, Cayenne , etc.... What you are looking for is not going to happen in this segment due to customer preferences, market shift,, and emissions.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote