Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-17-2019, 12:36 AM   #1
patx1le

Drives: Camaro ss 1le
2nd gear grinding noise issue

Hey guys so I just got my ss 1le two weeks ago and ive been driving it every chance I get. So today I was shifting into second gear and it didnt shift all the way in properly? It sort of got stuck in between neutral and second gear and you just hear this terrible grinding noise.Should I take it in to the shop? Has this happened to anyone? Found a link to someone on youtube with the same issue. https://youtu.be/UEaSai5483Y

Thank you!
patx1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:46 AM   #2
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
Yes, it has happened to me as well on one or two occassions. I'm not too worried about it. It runs great.

When it happened though, it sure felt like something was in the way so that the shifter wouldn't fully engage the gear shift. Now, when shifting to 2nd I always make sure to feel that it is engaged fully, guiding it into gear, not forcing it. And it has not happened since. I could imagine it has something to do with 1st to 4th skip shift. Perhaps the skip shift was just in the middle of being activated and the 2nd gear lock-out solenoid was only partly activated, thus getting in the way. Just a theory I have.

Do you have a skip shift eliminator?
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #3
BruceWayne1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE M6
Dump the crappy stock tranny fluid. Install skip shift.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
patx1le

Drives: Camaro ss 1le
Let me install the skip shift and see if it solves the problem. Thanks for the suggestion!
patx1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:05 PM   #5
BMKY

Drives: 18 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by patx1le View Post
Hey guys so I just got my ss 1le two weeks ago and ive been driving it every chance I get. So today I was shifting into second gear and it didnt shift all the way in properly? It sort of got stuck in between neutral and second gear and you just hear this terrible grinding noise.Should I take it in to the shop? Has this happened to anyone? Found a link to someone on youtube with the same issue. https://youtu.be/UEaSai5483Y

Thank you!
I got the same problem about 3-4 times. I found it happened when I pulled the stick from the 1st to 2nd not very "hard" (the stick did not fully reach the bottom). It does not happen when I shift a little bit harder.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #6
BMKY

Drives: 18 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by patx1le View Post

Thank you!
Just watched the 1st part of your video. I got the exact same problem twice, the stick jumped from 2nd back to neutral when shifting from 1st to 2nd (there's no skip shift sign on the dash and HUD). If I pulled the stick a little bit "harder" (still gentle) making sure the stick reached the bottom, it never happens again.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:48 AM   #7
Yellow BB

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 2SS
I had this problem also. Installed the Skip Shift Bypass to stop the ridiculous 2nd gear blocking & I changed my transmission fluid over to Royal Purple Synchromax - HUGE difference in how the car shifts!
Yellow BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:09 AM   #8
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
I have this problem occasionally on the first 1-2 shift of a cool or cold day. Never experience it otherwise.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:21 AM   #9
Mosaic6SS

Drives: Camaro
I found this TSB. I was also told this could be an issue with shifter position. I’ve had first gear pop out a few times.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mosaic6SS; 06-21-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Mosaic6SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:11 PM   #10
fahimghaffar

Drives: 2018 Camaro ss
I have a 2018 camaro ss

I am having same 2nd gear issue. One the customer got it fixed and found out that is a defective transmission housing. Here is the link to the video. https://youtu.be/FxngwiF7_Wg

GM knows about it but they are telling their dealer to tell customers that it is normal. Everybody, we need to report this issue to NHTSA.gov. Here is the link for that https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

All these camaoros have defected transmision housing which is causing multiple symtoms. For example, hard to shift to 2nd when upshift or downsift, 2nd gear popping out and shift into neutral, missing 2nd gear and sometime grinding.
I spoke to 2 dealers and they both have different openion. One says that i need skip shift eliminater and the other one says that it is normal to have symtoms like that also Advised me not to use the 2nd gear. Which is bad beacuse we spent a fortune buying this car and then we are unable the use 2nd gear.

Please everybody, go NHTSA website and file a complain because they are not going to fix it until government institution files a lawsuit against GM
fahimghaffar is offline   Reply With Quote