Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-08-2019, 10:16 PM   #1
PantherXP836

Drives: 2017 Camaro LT, 1986 Camaro Z28
Angry Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Can’t get CarPlay to work for anything. Very frustrating. New Genuine Apple lighting cables with my updated iPhone 6s. Charges but does not allow projection. Pulled battery terminals reset computer. Still no go.
On a whim, my son connected his LG5 and Android Auto worked!
What gives?
PantherXP836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:11 AM   #2
crossroaddemons

Drives: 1971 Chevy Camaro
I have similar gripes about the interface. It often doesnt recognize my device. Frustrating.
crossroaddemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:30 AM   #3
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
You have to enable it in the settings on the phone first. Did you do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #4
PantherXP836

I found CarPlay in iphone settings but there is nothing to activate. The only thing there was a function to search for a “wireless” CarPlay which I am connected by Bluetooth to my iphone . So that is worthless.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
PantherXP836

I am running iOS 12.3.1
Old 06-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #6
Jdelgado92

Drives: '16 Red hot M6
i was having the same issue last week, so i looked online and found some fixes to try out. None of them worked for me until i finally looked at the software updates and updated my iphone to iOS 12.3.1 and then it finally worked. Even though they didn't work for me, they might work for you so here they are:

1) Disconnect both battery cables and touch them together to do a reset, if you're not comfortable with that, then you can disconnect the ground over night and have it reset that way. ( some people said the reset worked, but not for me)

2) The more expensive route is to replace the USB ports inside. Some people have reported that it malfunctioned on them, one guy even showed pictures where his had burn marks on his on the inside. You can take it out and check for yourself to see if there's any signs of being shorted out or something or just like me, go ahead and buy it just in case. I don't think mine was damaged but i replaced it either way. the replacement piece cost me $37 from a 3rd party.

If non of that works then i'd say its dealership time.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #7
PantherXP836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdelgado92 View Post
i was having the same issue last week, so i looked online and found some fixes to try out. None of them worked for me until i finally looked at the software updates and updated my iphone to iOS 12.3.1 and then it finally worked. Even though they didn't work for me, they might work for you so here they are:

1) Disconnect both battery cables and touch them together to do a reset, if you're not comfortable with that, then you can disconnect the ground over night and have it reset that way. ( some people said the reset worked, but not for me)

2) The more expensive route is to replace the USB ports inside. Some people have reported that it malfunctioned on them, one guy even showed pictures where his had burn marks on his on the inside. You can take it out and check for yourself to see if there's any signs of being shorted out or something or just like me, go ahead and buy it just in case. I don't think mine was damaged but i replaced it either way. the replacement piece cost me $37 from a 3rd party.

Thanks for the insight...I also already did the reset pulling the battery cables and that did not work. I am running the 12.3.1 iOS, so I may be staring down the barrel of a dealership visit. Rather have a tooth pulled!

The USB seem to be fine as I can charge and connect with my iPHONE and the Android phone I connected indeed worked perfectly with Android Auto.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #8
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Does the projection icon say CarPlay after you plug in? or does it stay saying projection?
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #9
PantherXP836

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
Does the projection icon say CarPlay after you plug in? or does it stay saying projection?
When I plug in the iPhone, I get an error message saying no usb connected and stays with the projection icon.
When we plugged in the Android, it switched to Android Auto and showed the Apps of the phone
Old 06-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #10
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdelgado92 View Post

I'm that guy with the one that was burned lol!

Mine had soda dropped on it by the previous owner, I came to that conclusion when I was cleaning up all the sticky residue under the center console.

OP's issue seems to not be like mine, his ports charge and even recognize for Android Auto. CarPlay is automatically detected by the iPhone I believe but there is a setting in the car's infotainment settings to turn on CarPlay and Android Auto (individual settings). It may be that, if OP still has a warranty then I would always take in under warranty, if not then double check settings on the infotainment and maybe even try another iPhone.

If nothing works and no warranty then you can do what I did and replace the module itself, I doubt your issue is to that extent but if it is I documented my process and can assist if there's confusion on how to reach/remove the module.

EDIT: after reading some replies, an error message appears on the iPhone when plugged into the CarPlay port? If so then it may be leaning toward a cable, iPhone port, or iPhone software issue.

more EDIT: iOS 12.3.2 got released recently, maybe an update could help for whatever reason

Last edited by Bumbleboy92; 06-11-2019 at 07:30 PM. Reason: edit
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #11
PantherXP836

Thanks for the perspective Bumble...I did find the Carplay and Android Auto switches in the infotainment system but to no avail.
The car is still under warranty as it only has 8k miles, so I may try to update to 12.3.2 and then head to the dealer. Seems like it is sooo close to a solution but I cannot figure it out.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:09 PM   #12
PantherXP836

I upgraded my iPhone to an 8 and was excited to plug it into my vehicle and get carplay functioning. No, nope nadda.
Here is the perplexing spot. The phone charges when I plug it into the USB ports, but when I go to "Source" to play music, it does not allow a "USB 1" or "USB 2" as a source for playback. Android phones work in the car, so is it possible a channel on the lightning connector is shorted not allowing data to transfer but does allow charging?
"Projection" never changes to Carplay and it is as though no USB is plugged in.

BRAND new i8, cord that came with the phone. Bluetooth works with phone.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #13
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
Mine suddenly stopped working , have a iPhone xr, so I did the global or universal reset which is pulling the battery cables off and touching them to each other to erase th settings. It worked like a charm! Haven't had issues since then.
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:39 AM   #14
RomanB

Drives: 2LT RS Yellow Convertible
Did you try a different USB cable?