Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 05-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #1
Oramac2016

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
Hyperflash

So.... my question is. Whats the load that the bcm looks for? Im trying to take the guess work out of what load resistor value i need to stop hyperflash from the rear led tails. Also i see some using 3ohm, some use 6ohm. If i can know the load its looking for and measure my current load ill know what i need to add. I tried 50watt 3ohm and still get the hyperflash.

Last edited by Oramac2016; 05-27-2019 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Grammer
Oramac2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
If you put that low of a resistor on and it still hyper flashes, then you put it on wrong. Each front blinker needs one and 3 ohm is plenty low to draw enough current.

Obviously the rear doesn't since the brake/blinkers back there are already led.

The resistance needed hasn't been really checked on purpose.

Your post focusing on the rear but talking about hyper flash, which is associated with upgrading the front blinkers is confusing.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
Oramac2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
If you put that low of a resistor on and it still hyper flashes, then you put it on wrong. Each front blinker needs one and 3 ohm is plenty low to draw enough current.

Obviously the rear doesn't since the brake/blinkers back there are already led.

The resistance needed hasn't been really checked on purpose.

Your post focusing on the rear but talking about hyper flash, which is associated with upgrading the front blinkers is confusing.

Ok let me clarify a bit. I will be using a different led board as the rear turn signal. So with the original blinker eliminated, my board is pulling from the blinker wire. Without any resistor, i get the Hyperblink inside the vehicle. With the 50watt 3ohm it does the same.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
cellsafemode

Why not measure the resistance of the original and that of the new?

You most certainly won't need nor want such a low resistance load resistor on the rear blinker circuit. The stock led lights would use very little current, so rather than being too little current drawn like the front lights, you are drawing too much with the load resistor.

Since you have it out you could make all the necessary measurements for resistance, or just do a direct current measurement since it should be well within normal multimeter range.

It could be that your new board may be pulling too much current compared to stock if it is much more power hungry than stock. Haven't heard of that being a trigger for hyper flash before though. Makes sense though that it would have a lower and upper bounds for current draw.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:00 PM   #5
Oramac2016

Quote:
Why not measure the resistance of the original and that of the new?

You most certainly won't need nor want such a low resistance load resistor on the rear blinker circuit. The stock led lights would use very little current, so rather than being too little current drawn like the front lights, you are drawing too much with the load resistor.

Since you have it out you could make all the necessary measurements for resistance, or just do a direct current measurement since it should be well within normal multimeter range.

It could be that your new board may be pulling too much current compared to stock if it is much more power hungry than stock. Haven't heard of that being a trigger for hyper flash before though. Makes sense though that it would have a lower and upper bounds for current draw.

Did just that a few min ago. My lights pull about .132-.147 amps and the factory pulls .132amps - .150amps. As they blink off and on. Which is like the same range. So the load resistor is definitely not needed. I only went to the load resistor after having the problem with just the lights alone. Im not sure what else it could be.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:27 AM   #6
cellsafemode

Did you test with the stock lights plugged in again that the hyper flashing went away?

If so, then my next guess would be perhaps the flash is being triggered not due to the blinkers but by the stop lights. If you are testing it in a situation where the stop lights would be lit and this new taillight setup has a different behavior or different draw for the rear lights that may trigger hyperflash.

If that isn't the case, then it is a mystery if no other changes to the lighting circuit has been made and simply plugging the stock setup back in resolves the hyper flash.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:50 AM   #7
Oramac2016

Quote:
Did you test with the stock lights plugged in again that the hyper flashing went away?

If so, then my next guess would be perhaps the flash is being triggered not due to the blinkers but by the stop lights. If you are testing it in a situation where the stop lights would be lit and this new taillight setup has a different behavior or different draw for the rear lights that may trigger hyperflash.

If that isn't the case, then it is a mystery if no other changes to the lighting circuit has been made and simply plugging the stock setup back in resolves the hyper flash.
Yes i tested with stock back connected. No other changes. Only the stock turn signal is taken out of the equation.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
GTPprix
I hack cars.

Drives: Lots ;)
We can program hyper flash out of the BCM; just an FYI.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
Oramac2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPprix View Post
Thanks. Im aware of that option but for this project i dont think many others would want to do that.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #10
Oramac2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPprix View Post
Does the programing inside the bcm state the range of resistance etc its looking for? I wonder if its possibly my custom led turn signal is pulling more and not actually less which is causing the hyperflash
Old 06-03-2019, 09:23 AM   #11
cellsafemode

you already mentioned you pull the same current as stock a few posts back.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #12
Oramac2016

Quote:
you already mentioned you pull the same current as stock a few posts back.
Im just trying to think of anything possible. What else you have?
Old 06-03-2019, 03:58 PM   #13
cellsafemode

My other guess was that the stop lights are not behaving the same as stock. brake lights == blinker lights on the stock system. When testing, are you in the garage where the headlights would normally turn on?
Have you tested the current draw of the lights when not activating the blinkers to see if you get the same behavior with this new setup as you did with the old (brake lights come on and come on with the same current draw as stock)?

Just because the blinkers hyperflash, doesn't necessary mean the issue is just being detected when trying to use the blinkers, since that circuit is used for brakes and rear lights as well. I'd suspect the bcm would hyperflash if it detected an issue in any use-case for the circuit.
Old 01-14-2024, 07:19 PM   #14
2ss.alex

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush
Does anyone know how to fix it?? i have a 2019 with all the stock bulbs none of them are out and it hyper flashes
2ss.alex is offline   Reply With Quote