Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-12-2023, 08:43 AM   #1
Eric_Bloom

Drives: 2022 Camaro SS 1LE
A Reminder to NEVER use a dealership service, even if it's free

Let's be honest: we all know dealership prices can be astronomical, but at least the workmanship is decent right? Boy did I learn how "decent" the service is.

For quick context I bought my 1LE about a year ago, with it I purchased an oil change package (didn't want to risk slicking/staining my garage) and a wheel/tire package (Curb rash, nail in the tire, etc). I did my first oil change with the dealership at 500 miles and everything went well, they took their sweet time but no issues.

The second time at 5000 miles I also thought the same thing, except the next morning I find the car leaking oil. Brought it back, their tech must have left their eyes at home because he installed a faulty oil filter (???). They put a new one and it was fine after that, but the whole point of me buying that oil change package was negated. Whatever, small thing.

Thursday I put a post on the wheels and tire forum here, but I went in for a leak in the rear tire, under my wheel and tire package. Basically because the tires are under a certain tread threshold their warranty company wouldn't patch it and I had to buy new tires. A little annoying but the prices for the tires, mounting, etc was not bad, in fact I think the tires were slightly cheaper than market price.

Friday morning I pick it up, driving home I felt a little more NVH from the seat (ass), which I definitely noticed right away as not normal. I was in track mode, so I switched it to sport and tour and the vibrations disappeared. I chalked it up to the stiffer suspension in track and maybe the more tread compared to my old tires gave more feedback. I checked the tires when I got home and they looked good, I should have checked the lug nuts then and there.

This morning (Saturday) I'm going out for my morning drive, I'm in stealth mode for the exhaust and tour overall~ which made this next part immediately concerning. I felt the rear vibrating and pulsing everytime I let off the accelerator (not even 5-10%). No way in hell that is normal, and thank god I trusted myself there because when I pulled over to check the wheels: my passenger side wheel didn't have a single lug nut tightened. One was all the way off, hanging by a thread quite literally. You've got to be ****ing kidding me. They didn't even tighten the ****ing lug nuts, forget the track if I had gone on the highway or even normal roads that could have killed me and other people if it had come off. I had to stop and tighten then by hand to get home.

Cautionary warning.
Eric_Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 08:45 AM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Had similar experiences with my car at the dealer when it was new. After two screw ups in a row, I vowed to never go back…and I haven’t. GM service departments are terrible.
Old 08-12-2023, 09:02 AM   #3
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Pretty scary. I would check the wheel to make sure the lug nut holes are not wallowed out. They may owe you a new wheel, at the minimum.

I haven't had non-warranty work done at a dealership in decades, I just don't trust them. Those "free" oil change coupons dealers like to give with a new car? I throw those in the trash as soon as I get home. I've read too many horror stories to let them near my car(s).
MT-SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 09:09 AM   #4
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
A Toyota service advisor begged me to perform the free oil change.
(4runner)
He was relentless so I caved and let the 'tards do the oil change

the next oil change I needed use my floor jack handle over my
3/8 ratchet to remove the filter housing and skid plate bolts

had to been at least 80ft lbs of tq

assholes
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 10:19 AM   #5
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
The problem with service in a dealership model is, in order for them to pay the bills, they need to maintain an “in-and-out” quick approach to everything. They can’t take their time and be patient to ensure everything is done properly 100% of the time. Whether it’s an oil change or a A/C evaporator replacement where they need to take out your entire dashboard and cowl assembly for 8 hours of labor. They need all 20 bays hoppin and boppin all day with no wasted time. That leads to cutting corners and techs not paying attention, and then using an air socket to put your skid plate bolts back in because it saves a few precious seconds instead of using a hand socket. Never mind that it torques the stuff down to 80 ft lbs.

New tire? Get it on the car and get it out. No need to check the tq specs with a torque wrench. Like Sheriff Buford T. Justice said in Smokey and the Bandit……

“We got no time fo dat crap!!”
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie

Last edited by olrocker; 08-12-2023 at 01:40 PM.
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 11:02 AM   #6
22SS1LE

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE 6M
I had a sloppy experience with my dealer as well. Last year when I got the car and I got it home. I noticed the pass side front fender liner was all shredded up. I went and made an appointment for them to replace it.
I already had my ZL1add on rock guards on.
So when they removed the front one to replace the liner. Instead of taking a few extra seconds to make it neat. they put new double sided tape all crooked and wrinkled up and then they put the guard back on it was all crooked as hell and the tape was sticking out all over. Like why cant they take an extra 5sec to align everything better.
Had to fix that as soon as I got home.
8/24. IT HAS ARRIVED at the dealer
8/25- It is in the Garage
ACS ZL1 Sideskirts, 20% tint, CAI Intake
22SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 11:05 AM   #7
GM-ACE
Old school tech

Drives: Ruby 1LE - 2024 2SS 1LE
I know your pain. THIS was the last straw for this car with me, after everything else it had been through, I took it to the dealer I used to work at for its first oil change, drove it home, parked it in the garage, and the next day found the puddle. They had to send a hook for it because there was no way I was driving it 25 miles back to them, as they first suggested. They claimed faulty seal on the filter, I say there was another gasket above that filter. Sure felt like it when I checked how tight it was, it was a little loose.
Attached Images

Ordered: 6/15/23 Accepted: 7/5/23
3000 - 7/5 ---> 3100 - 7/19
3300 - 7/20 --> 3400 - 7/20 -->TPW - 8/7
4300 - 8/14 --->4B00 - 9/5
DELIVERED 9/20!!
GM-ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 12:03 PM   #8
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
In regards to the wheel/tire package, I always go with Discount Tire’s warranty. As long as the tires new and has new/ish tread they’ll let you buy tire warranty. They’ll patch and even replace the tire under warranty for flats and nails.

The small kicker is it seems every store is different on pricing (every employee too maybe). Went to one DT store and was quoted $400 for one tire meanwhile another store across town did $400 for all four tires (not the Camaro)
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 01:01 PM   #9
walkerheaders

Drives: 2023 1SS Radiant A10 63 427 Impala
Took my SS in to the dealer for it's 1500 mile "free oil change". I was terrified but able to see what went on. As a former certified Chevrolet Tech, It's quite strange for me to be not allowed in the work bay. I saw a uniformed Tech raise the car on my new set of lifting blocks then grab a non uniformed kid to get the wheels off and drain the oil. Here he comes to the parts dept and emerged with 10 qts of 0-40 supercar then he gets to the car and double checks the sidewall on the tires with a puzzled look. (I mounted my "square" set of LT1 wheels/tires) he rotated correctly, let it down and torqued them with a wrench, filled and checked the oil level and reset the TPMS. I know all the steps involved and the young man did well. I tipped him $10 then the uniformed tech drove it out. I was impressed, but they'll never see my car again for anything other than warranty. No fault of theirs, just my old school tech OCD. Criswell Chevrolet in Thurmont Md. Not bad. I have a 23 equinox that goes there and so far so good.
walkerheaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 02:59 PM   #10
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
I brought mine to the dealership more than once for oil changes and to put the light up door sills and the light up Camaro emblem on the front. And the transmission fluid change. Never had a problem. Maybe it’s pot luck.
Blaise Alexander Chevrolet in Muncy PA.
Old 08-12-2023, 04:20 PM   #11
Green82

Drives: 2022 camaro lt1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Bloom View Post
Let's be honest: we all know dealership prices can be astronomical, but at least the workmanship is decent right? Boy did I learn how "decent" the service is.

For quick context I bought my 1LE about a year ago, with it I purchased an oil change package (didn't want to risk slicking/staining my garage) and a wheel/tire package (Curb rash, nail in the tire, etc). I did my first oil change with the dealership at 500 miles and everything went well, they took their sweet time but no issues.

The second time at 5000 miles I also thought the same thing, except the next morning I find the car leaking oil. Brought it back, their tech must have left their eyes at home because he installed a faulty oil filter (???). They put a new one and it was fine after that, but the whole point of me buying that oil change package was negated. Whatever, small thing.

Thursday I put a post on the wheels and tire forum here, but I went in for a leak in the rear tire, under my wheel and tire package. Basically because the tires are under a certain tread threshold their warranty company wouldn't patch it and I had to buy new tires. A little annoying but the prices for the tires, mounting, etc was not bad, in fact I think the tires were slightly cheaper than market price.

Friday morning I pick it up, driving home I felt a little more NVH from the seat (ass), which I definitely noticed right away as not normal. I was in track mode, so I switched it to sport and tour and the vibrations disappeared. I chalked it up to the stiffer suspension in track and maybe the more tread compared to my old tires gave more feedback. I checked the tires when I got home and they looked good, I should have checked the lug nuts then and there.

This morning (Saturday) I'm going out for my morning drive, I'm in stealth mode for the exhaust and tour overall~ which made this next part immediately concerning. I felt the rear vibrating and pulsing everytime I let off the accelerator (not even 5-10%). No way in hell that is normal, and thank god I trusted myself there because when I pulled over to check the wheels: my passenger side wheel didn't have a single lug nut tightened. One was all the way off, hanging by a thread quite literally. You've got to be ****ing kidding me. They didn't even tighten the ****ing lug nuts, forget the track if I had gone on the highway or even normal roads that could have killed me and other people if it had come off. I had to stop and tighten then by hand to get home.

Cautionary warning.
losing a tire is really not as bad as it sounds. I lost a front tire on a 01 suburban with a 6" lift doing 80 mph on the interstate. got a slight wobble before it went flying over my hood.
When the front end fell to the ground i still had full control was on a bridge so had to drive it till i was able to steer to the shoulder
Green82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 04:50 PM   #12
len125

Drives: chevrolet camaro
dealer oil change

yes, they also dont know how to put the camaro on lifts..check your rocker panels make sure they dont bend them in....make them do the body work
len125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 05:57 PM   #13
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Looks i gotta face the dealer as my A8 slams into gear from park.
CHASLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 08:13 PM   #14
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLT1 View Post
Looks i gotta face the dealer as my A8 slams into gear from park.
Well, if your profile is correct, no you don’t because you don’t have an A8 (you have an A10).